Modding Discussion Modding Guides and General Modding Discussion--REDUX

Discussion in 'Mods' started by cantorsdust, Mar 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zcsnightmare

zcsnightmare Scruffy Nerf-Herder

They'll be in one file, which is in \Stardew Valley\Content\Maps\springobjects.xnb

L3W likes this.
    • L3W

L3W Ketchup Robot

Thanks! I really appreciate it. I wanted to make the Pegasus boots from A Link to the Past.

• zcsnightmare

zcsnightmare Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Np! But, just FYI in case ya don't know, editing the boots in springobjects.xnb will ONLY change the look of 'em in your inventory. They won't have any affect on your actual player sprite. You'd have to edit the farmer_base.xnb or farmer_female_base.xnb in \Content\Character\Farmer, which can be a task.

I found that out the hard way.

• L3W

L3W Ketchup Robot

Alright, thanks for the heads up!

• GwenLilyKnight

GwenLilyKnight Tentacle Wrangler

If that were true the skeleton would have ID number 517 as its only loot drop is a glow ring at 1%.

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

The skeleton has many more drops then that, and from what the SS shows, it is the "Skeleton Warrior" we actually fight in-game, with void essence being the most likely item to drop (.25)
              If necessary I could take some time to dig into the code and see exactly how the game processes things, but I am relatively certain that the list in question is the loot table, it fits against the item ID's to cleanly not to be.

• Hammurabi

Hammurabi Big Damn Hero

But I'm seeing that Ghosts have the first true/false set to false, and they are definitely flying monsters. It's otherwise a perfect fit to whether or not the monster flies, which is baffling.

The very last value looks like it might be experience, and the first one after the item table looks like it's probably defense (it's high on Metal Heads and Stone Golems, and fairly low on everything else). 2 after the probably-defense value looks like it could be something to do with the aggro range (it's low on Duggies and Crabs, which mostly try to ambush you, -1 on Bugs, which just ignore you, and very high on Cave Flies and Serpents, which will aggro from offscreen).

I don't see any values that correlate to the debuffs, so I'm guessing those are hard-coded.

GwenLilyKnight likes this.
                • DJ_Zapple

DJ_Zapple Pangalactic Porcupine

Hey, can someone help me with a little thing? I want to add some new cookable food items to the game, but don't know how do certain things for it... What I need to learn to do is:

• Add new food items, with potential buffs
                  • Add recipes for the food
                  • Either make those new recipes buyable from Gus, or able to be received in the mail by friends
                  • Add sprites for the foods
                  If anyone can help with all of that, I'd be eternally greatful!

• BlankSlater

BlankSlater Space Penguin Leader

Is it possible to add new rings with new effects?

• cankersaur

cankersaur Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm having an error with the Save Anywhere mod by Alpha_Omegasis, but no matter where I look, I can't find the page I downloaded it from in order to ask the creator what I'm doing wrong. The search feature on the site doesn't seem to work -- even when I type in words I -know- appear, it says nothing is found. I can't even find it on Google.
                      Any suggestions?

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

My second search attempt:
                        http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/smapi-0-4-sdv-1-07-stardew-save-anywhere.113887/

I only needed a second one because my first had to many results...
                        Obviously you overspecified the search query if you got no results....

• BlankSlater

is there a good guide for adding new recipes? want to add more chests of different colors.

• cankersaur

cankersaur Pangalactic Porcupine

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

To general, adding "anywhere" and making sure to search by title would have given you that link in the top 5 results.

• Igorious

Igorious Sandwich Man

I think, XNB Modder's Guide by Alpha_Omegasis is good enough to understand, how to add custom data to the game.
                              But there's a little problem: the game have no mechanics to create colored craftable objects. It requires to rewrite logic of Crafting page or use dirty code hacks.

• BlankSlater

or differing recipes?

• GwenLilyKnight

GwenLilyKnight Tentacle Wrangler

I did an edit to the NPC gift tastes xnb file. I made it so Maru loves the dwarf gadget. Haley likes the elvish jewelry. Abigail loves the bone flute, ancient drum, and ancient sword. Willy likes the anchor. I also made a small edit to slimes to make them eyeless. It bothered me that they had faces. MAkes them a little harder to fight as you have no idea where they are looking.

now to figure out how to fix my other pet peeves. want to make a worm bin that takes food and outputs worms like a proper worm farm instead of being self sufficient. better food means more worms. even fertilizer production! https://deepgreenpermaculture.com/diy-instructions/worm-farming/

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2016
                                  • nahrix

nahrix Master Chief

I wasn't able to find a discussion on this question, so I'm sorry if I'm asking something that's already been answered:

Due to the nature of XNB modding, it seems like a nightmare of mods overwriting each other. Is there a generalized solution to adding features that won't interfere with other mods?

Specifically, I'm thinking of adding some new maps, but I'm not sure how to go about it in an unobtrusive way. I initially thought about something very simple, like add an extra trap-door tile to a house or something, that would provide access to a new area with a new XNB, so any content would not overwrite something else, but the "trap door", or whatever mechanism I would use as a link between an existing XNB and a new one, would ultimately have to depend on an existing XNB, and would either potentially overwrite someone else's mod, or have my own mod be overwritten.

I'm just trying to think of the best way of adding map content without potential compatibility issues. Has this problem been solved yet?

Thanks.

• ClxS

ClxS Pangalactic Porcupine

There's always room for someone to make a mod that does it. @Entoarox's advanced location loader is a good example - it's pretty much an extension to SMAPI aimed at making locations easier to deal with. I haven't used ALL myself since I haven't made many mods, but that might do exactly what you need when it comes to location editing?

Farmhand is still a little while away but that provides a way for mods to edit specific parts of spritesheets (and eventually data) so mods wont have to overwrite each other - but if someone was interested enough they'd be able to take a look at how I dealt with that in Farmhand and create a mod for SMAPI that can deal with the conflicts.

• Jinxiewinxie

Jinxiewinxie Farmer Fashionista

@Advize has a way to extend existing tilesheets, so even if someone has a modded one, you could add your trapdoor as an extension to it without ever really editing the base one that the end-user has. If you're interested in learning more, I suggest sending off a message to him here.

BlankSlater likes this.
                                        Thread Status:
                                        Not open for further replies.