Modding Help Modding for 1.0

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by WraitheDX, Jul 17, 2016.

1. WraitheDX

WraitheDX Aquatic Astronaut

I have been looking into modding the last couple of days, and most of the posts I come across are from 2014 and 2015. I was hoping people could confirm for me whether the preferred method was .modpak or .pak? The most recent update to unstable reads my test.pak mod and lists it in the in-game mod browser. Also, for the modinfo file, do we want .metadata or pak.modinfo?
    Thank you for replies.

2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

For 1.0 it will be reverting to pak and metadata

WraitheDX likes this.
  3. WraitheDX

WraitheDX Aquatic Astronaut

Awesome, and thank you for the reply. New to the forums, am I able to change my post to 'Answered'?

4. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Now, Starbound 1.0 will only read pak files in place of modpacks and modinfo files are deprecated.

WraitheDX likes this.
  5. BloodyRain2k

BloodyRain2k Pangalactic Porcupine

That'll explain why my simple mod to bring back the only hair style I liked which got removed for 1.0 does not work. Yaaay...

Throws the question though: why does it even react to folders within the mod directory then? <_<

Edit: because it still does load folders. Now to figure out how to add the hair without priming it for a nameconflict...

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  6. The | Suit

The metadata file is not necessary - it will read any directory in assets \ mods folder.
    The sole purpose of metadata is to display information in the mod manager.

But creating a metadata file is a good habbit - as it will help users install mods easier as a point of reference.

7. doll13

doll13 Void-Bound Voyager

so i put it in the mods folder or in the giraffle storage/mods?

8. The | Suit

mods foldes - giraffe storage is no longer used.
    There is literally a sticky thread for installing mods for 1.0.

9. BloodyRain2k

BloodyRain2k Pangalactic Porcupine

Except that the format got changed, or the filename, or extension, or ALL OF IT, because that thing ain't telling the mod manager anything.
    I appreciate though that it's not mandatory anymore as I tend to make many tiny mods where having to create this file was a major bother for no reason.

10. The | Suit

It should be .metadata

not name.metadata
    If you are a windows user you might have to name the file .metadata.

With a period in the beginning and end.