Dev Blog Mod Spotlight #1

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Aug 16, 2016.

1. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Tags are a supplementary utility to enhance an organizational system, not a replacement, They only works well when all these are true -

1. The producers aka mod authors(all of them) are implementing them. Speaking of which I probably should do so myself.
    2. The end users are using them... and I'd wager that is a small portion of the end users doing so. It can be useful to those that do, but as for the rest?
    3. There is an agreed upon standard to search for. For example if I added "tile" and someone searches "blocks", they don't find my mod. In fact searching "tiles" probably doesn't find said mod unless the search feature automatically adjusts the query in this manor. It might be more complex than subtracting an (s) - "mice" for "mouse" etc.

Tags are useful though. More so when you have a tag cloud of popular terms - which has the effect of pseudo-standardizing the tags. Unfortunately Steam Workshop doesn't feature this. Especially from the mod consuming end of things, I can tell you that categories would be very helpful.

No that isn't the same "logic" at all. I'd say your posts on this remind me of this quote -

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge". -Isaac Asimov

It is the bold part that is particularly relevant because that is EXACTLY the logic you are now using. When you say FU is lazy modding, you have no basis to say that.

FU is the antithesis of lazy modding. Perfect?... no I suppose not. It isn't above constructive criticism(your own doesn't qualify). Many aspects are sourced from several people, but IIRC it is managed by a single person (possibly I'm mistaken) - thus very limited time to pour into it. Every choice has a cost - call this the lost opportunity cost. Chasing after one problem - or tweaking this - takes away from time needed to chase this other problem - or tweak that. Ditto with adding new things, balancing things old and new.

Where Starbound mod projects are concerned, I don't believe it has any competition with respect to size and scope. FU is complex and is the result of a considerable "I don't want to know just how many" investment of hours. It is also free despite the investment in hours. For all that considerable time and effort, the reward they get is being called "lazy" by people with no basis to make that assessment.

And here's the thing, my basis for knowing this is my own work on mods(not all of which are finished/released). When I started I didn't know jack, and taught myself about JSON standards, LUA coding, expected formats such an animation files, etc. Lots of trial and error. Comparing myself now to when I started, I also was not qualified at that point to make the sort of assessments you are making. Whatever time you think it takes to make/test/revise/bugfix/etc these things... you're massively understating it. You don't know because you have no basis for that knowledge.

Like many things in life, it sure seems a lot easier/simpler/quicker until you actually attempt it. I expect there are things in life for which you are more knowledgeable than I, and you would be quite annoyed at me telling you how things should be without me actually knowing anything. For example, have you ever worked in a job where customers are telling you that something "should be this way" and it is entirely obvious they've no related experience by the nature of their assessment? Recall that twitch in your eyeball as they speak. Now pretend your "customers" are actually people benefiting from you working for free(such as people using mods). Just imagine your eyeball now.

Now excuse me while I go lecture surgeons about how easy open heart surgery is and how much better I'd be at it than them... if I tried.

2. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

I'm not saying it's easy to make the content, I'm saying the content itself is not of good quality, but eh good rant either way dude. +1 :)

3. Djinn

Djinn They're not goats, darnit!

Not only is this true, and not only did he specifically ask me if he could use my stuff, I'm now reverse-engineering his implementation of my weapons to get them working in 1.0!

Jareix Cryvix and SivCorp like this.
  4. Titanium

Titanium Existential Complex

Uh, why? Why can't they make failsafes to prevent data corruption? Crashes? Permanent world destruction that requires tedious copying and pasting of folders?
    I just want the process to be easier.

5. Tleno

Tleno Spaceman Spiff

Maybe somebody should just create batch files to manage everything for Windows users?

6. Titanium

im on a mac :party:so rip me

Luthien likes this.
  7. Luthien

Luthien Astral Cartographer

The modding team of fracken' universe is very small, but they are continuously working on the betterment of what the mod has to offer. I don't blame them for borrowing assets in the slightest, as they themselves have openly state that they are coders, not artist. Hopefully that whole argument will become irrelevant in due time, as I've recently joined their team as a spriter along with other talented artists, and we are given free reign to change and re-texture whatever art assets we want. Perhaps try being a little more constructive next time! :)

8. Titanium

So are we just not going to discuss the idea of making Starbound savestates more compatible with mods?

9. alextulinov

alextulinov Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Just want to thank you for respriting the solar panels and the batteries,especially the 8v battery which was a pain in the ass to monitor

Ankali and Luthien like this.
  10. Luthien

Luthien Astral Cartographer

I didn't actually sprite those! That was the work of @DarkPursuer :)

11. alextulinov

alextulinov Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Send him my thanks will you?

12. DarkPursuer

DarkPursuer Void-Bound Voyager

Much appreciated =)

13. TenkoKuugen

TenkoKuugen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Most people seem to understand that a game of a given complexity, starbound being over this level already, being modded extensively is going to have certain limits on what can be done to support add and remove functionality. Starbound is already fairly modular in terms of save files but to achieve what you are asking for we would need absurd and unhealthy levels of separate state saving that might even negatively impact the game for others that don't even need this functionality.
    The real solution here is to have people not be Frackin' awful at managing their save games, mods and making backups. If you shoot your save games with mods, that is on you. Not the devs.

14. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I see what you did there.

One idea I had, for content that reverts into Perfectly Generic Items, is to have them store their original ID and such in their parameters, so you can at least see "oh this PGI used to be a bee-bee gun". Maybe the tooltip could say as much, then.

15. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

I always though PGI was like soylent green, or just useless matter that can turned into anything

16. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

endertrot and Inf_Wolf14 like this.
  17. dekar_serverbot

dekar_serverbot Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Can i have the giraffe versions back? i miss the GOOD starbound

18. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Get off my lawn.

Ankali, Kawa and Luthien like this.
  19. Thev0idm0nster

Thev0idm0nster Space Hobo

Ahhh please pleas please! show case The Orcana by Nemasys
    It seems like a really cool race!

20. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Funny, I've been playing FU since 1.0's release (Actually, I've been playing it far sooner than that... most of Glad, and during the Nightly), and outside of -1- known (minor, non-fatal) bug that is soon-to-be squashed (they might have finally found what's causing it), I've not seen a single instance of "Broken Terrain Generation" since ~1.01. (I think I found one mini-dungeon on the surface that was spawning water where there shouldn't have been water, big deal).

And many mods are joint efforts by multiple people.

Sayter is awesome with JSON and actually putting things together. His mod is HUGE, but yet he was one of the few people whose mods were ready to go on 1.0's release with minor bugs. He's got a couple people who help him with LUA and Sprites; one person can't be awesome at everything.

And if you want to give an example of a "better mod" that supposedly exists on the Workshop, by all means, I'm sure people are looking for new stuff to try.

Is there a new magical mod I've never heard of that gives you lots of new planets explore and something to actually DO in Starbound?

If so, I wanna hear about it.

Until then, how about not railing on a mod you haven't tried in ages (you obviously haven't tried it in ages or you wouldn't claim that it has "broken terrain generation", something that hasn't been true since Mid-Nightly.

Or, you know, you can continue to make yourself look like an idiot by saying stuff that simply isn't true. Hey, if that's what you wanna do... by all means, go for it.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    Inf_Wolf14 and Jareix Cryvix like this.