Mod Manager for Starbound

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Coffeeman, Dec 4, 2013.

?

What would you like to see from a Mod Manager

1. Simple installation

25 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Graphical interface

18 vote(s)
    36.0%
  3. Easily create packaged mod

7 vote(s)
    14.0%
  1. Coffeeman

Coffeeman Subatomic Cosmonaut

AUGH! :mad: I accidentally posted the thread via enter-key before I had finished the poll, please ignore (or if your a mod give me a hand changing / removing it.)

~~Hey all! I am very exited about the Modding possibilities for Starbound, and would like to ask if there is interest for a Mod Manager/Loader. I have seen great dev support for modding, but nothing on a mod loader/manager (no problem devs, I know you are busy.) I am wondering if anyone would be interested in designing then developing a (semi-)graphical interface for installing and uninstalling mods to/from starbound.
    ~~My initial thoughts that the mods could be added via diff (esque) files, and installation packages would be packaged with the content and a diff file, that would describe where to put the resources. If anyone has alternate ideas or a better way, feel free to comment on this thread. :)
    ~~If you have programming experience (or not) and want to help, sign up! I want to get it designed before the coding starts, so we (as a community) should come to a consensus for what we would want from a mod manager. As such, everyones input is needed! :)

Please tell me what you think/ if you want to help/ whatever below!

2. Coffeeman

Coffeeman Subatomic Cosmonaut

bunp / reserved

3. frostsquirrel

frostsquirrel Space Hobo

I have some programming experience, but moreso, I design UI's. Let me know if you need help.
    Send me an email, I will check it more reliably; frost@emudevs.com

Cheers :)

4. Dark0ne

Dark0ne Void-Bound Voyager

Nexus Mods now supports mods for all games, and Nexus Mod Manager is open source for anyone to mod as well. Would be happy to talk to anyone looking to take on the task of creating a mod manager for StarBound and kill two birds with one stone :)

Svarr Chanston and Rockfire like this.
  5. Rockfire

Rockfire Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yep. I think it's a better idea to put all the mods, and use the mod manager on the Nexus. It's already hosting thousands of mods for a lot of games. ( "94,248 files for 33 games from 36,210 authors serving 6,453,597 members" - http://www.nexusmods.com/games/ )
    So, if a nexus is created for Starbound, a lot of people will get to know it, the Nexus Mods Manager will (hopefully) support Starbound, and there'll be a free (!) dedicated space for Starbound mods.

But ! There's also one thing. A command-line mod manager for dedicated servers. Since mods are supported client-side and server-side, it could be useful to have something like that.

6. Iamgoofball

Iamgoofball Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The issue with having the mod manager be strictly Nexus only is that if someone is banned from Nexus, they can't mod their video game because banned users can't download mods.

7. kavex

kavex Space Penguin Leader

I would rather have package management for ease of adding and removing 1 file

8. RockyTV

RockyTV Big Damn Hero

9. NoBlackThunder

NoBlackThunder Big Damn Hero

mhhh i did once a minecraft mod updater .. realy nice thingy i made ... =P i could do a new one for starbound mhh

btw.i like it to keep things simple .. so i would basicly do a tool for packing modfile into a zip file and unpackinging those .. then i would make logs of what got installed and creat a basic package manager that reads configs from zipfile and installes them and keeps localy track of everthing =P