Mod Developers & Copyright

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by WarStalkeR, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Dear Mod Developers,

I am one of you, but after looking through some of your mod topics I can see, that rather negative human qualities are taking over some of you. And one of these negative qualities allows you to post Copyright Information, which is actually invalid, illegal and even punishable by law.

So, before you actually start posting such things, you should perform deep research of what is Copyright, who are Copyright.Gov and how to use it right.

First of all, at least you should start by reading that FAQ on Copyright.Gov to have basic understanding of what is copyright, and then how and where it can be actually used. Basically process goes like this: you go to this page and start registration process. Don't forget to read all important information, before actually starting registration (such as information mentioned here). During registration you also pay registration fees. Then when registering your product, you also pay product registration fee and since you can't register it as complete software, your just register lots of images and other files, paying product registration fee for each of them. Every time you update your mod, you should inform Copyright.Gov about every updated file individually and pay product update fee also individually, since it's not complete software, but just bits and pieces of information as I mentioned earlier. Now, any misusage and misfollowing of any Copyright.Gov procedures in best case makes your copyright claim invalid and in worst case makes it illegal and even punishable by law.

Now, every "clever" Mod Developer, who wrote in their mod's topic "Copyright Information" or something similar, I suggest you to follow real procedure if you actually want your mod files to be protected by Copyright. Otherwise Copyright.Gov may become very unhappy if they will find out that somebody misuses their name.

Your Mod Developer,
    WarStalkeR.

Gazz, J-block, LadyKianna and 2 others like this.
  2. ejh1990

ejh1990 Phantasmal Quasar

Different countries have different laws, you know. Like the UK.

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/copy/c-about/c-auto.htm and
    http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/copy/c-about/c-auto/c-register.htm

We have automatic copyright over here.

Copyright law across borders though is, as far as I remember, very complicated. And messy.

Also, whether or not a modification counts under UK copyright law, I do not know. It wouldn't surprise me if there's some relevant but obscure case law either protecting mods or not supporting copyright status... But it's not something I am that interested in, so I never was compelled to check. :p

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
    Lusfella, NerArth, Xzalander and 2 others like this.
  3. Cadz

Cadz Void-Bound Voyager

I'm pretty sure they have different priorities rather than interfering with a game's miniature modding community. This is almost laughable. Thanks for the heads up though.

Flurry33 and kitsunespirit like this.
  4. Crystalwolf

Crystalwolf Void-Bound Voyager

Exactly.
    Regulating this kind of stuff isn't possible and putting the copyright wording isn't exactly illegal at least in most countries from what I see.
    When it comes to others copying others mods I guess the best you can do is just ask people not too and if they still do just point out that they did so. At least that's the way I see it.

It's actually kinda funny that this thread was actually made too.

5. ejh1990

ejh1990 Phantasmal Quasar

I also just noticed. From the very FAQ you posted:

kitsunespirit and SquarelyCircle like this.
  6. Blue

Blue Former Staff

Moved this to the general mod section, and out of the mod release section, as it is not actually a mod itself.

Supergeek likes this.
  7. Crystalwolf

Crystalwolf Void-Bound Voyager

Along with this. How would you feel if somebody basically grabbed your mod and recoloured it and claimed it as theirs?
    People but the copyright details because they essentially are claiming their work as theirs. Even though it pretty much is copyrighted as soon as they make it it's still something people want to do and they can do it.

NerArth likes this.
  8. NightmareX91

NightmareX91 Phantasmal Quasar

This. It's even more annoying when their recolour gets more attention than the original, as is the case for a large quantity of mods for games such as Garry's Mod.

LadyKianna likes this.
  9. Honestly? I won't even care. Because I do mod for myself and then just share with other people. What will happen then? I don't care. Because no matter what other people will do, I know that I developed mod, and not somebody other.

There is no need to claim your work as yours, because it's already yours from the starts, because you developed it. There is no need to remind about it. If you remind about it, then it means you feel lack of attention. If somebody takes other people work and claims it as their, let it be on their conscience and don't let it distract your modding.

Kyrosiris likes this.
  10. Blue

Blue Former Staff

What about the possibility the mod creator creates something the Devs want to add to the game, and somehow tries to use 'copyright' to not let them. Seems underhanded, but also, (Aliens Guy Meme) Humans.

Enzer_DeLeo likes this.
  11. Mod creator should be happy that game developers bless him/her by taking part of mod or entire mod and turning it in to default game content. I'm pretty serious here and this is how I really feel. Any mod developer that gets in the way of game developers should be:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
    Kyrosiris, Phlosioneer and Blue like this.
  12. Black--snow

Black--snow Cosmic Narwhal

Personally I agree with @WarStalkeR, but.... Seriously, mod creators have copy-right over their work and if they want to point it out who cares? Sure, denying content to the devs would be quite stupid, but I would absolutely hate it if someone took my work and claimed it as their own...

DarkerCloud likes this.
  13. Enzer_DeLeo

Enzer_DeLeo Void-Bound Voyager

Well it is a good thing that ideas are a lot harder to copyright, otherwise half the content in this game would be flagged by other companies.. they can also just add in a EULA to the game with a modding clause dictating that concepts and ideas presented in mods may be freely added into core game mechanics.. nearly every company that supports modding does this. I have noticed that the majority of the mods for this game are literally copy/paste jobs of the game's code from other regions, that is where my issue with modders being allowed to copyright their work comes up, heck even a lot of it is modifying base game artwork as well. I have no doubts Chucklefish will have an official statement on this in time.

Honestly though I do not want to see this modding community turn out like the MC modding community, where everyone is only worried about their copyright and everyone is all pissed off because random user 1,000 on the internet is using their mod in a pack that they didn't personally approve and the only reason it is an actual issue is because people are weird about power control and just want to stroke their egos in anyway they can. Let us not forget the hilarious license agreements used on Curse, nearly all of which wouldn't last a second in court. Please Starbound community, be better than the MC one. :lod:

14. Black--snow

I personally use the Starbound assets for shape and convenience instead of having to re-write the entire file, so I do see your point.
    I couldn't care less about mod packs and such, but if someone decides to attempt to steal my work and say they made it..... I'm sure you can relate to that?

15. Enzer_DeLeo

If it is something like unique code or original art assets, sure. However my main example, that of the MC community and why I think this should be addressed properly before we get a similar mess, is that it wasn't and never was about people stealing others work and proclaiming "I did this, I made this code", it was all... well, ego trips is the most polite way I can put it. I'd rather see a healthy community grow here where people are not afraid to share mods and where mod developers are not consider some loftier beings wielding hundreds of white knights to make your day miserable if you so dare try to do something against their will, even if it is something like modifying a mod (in this example, yes they gave credit to the original author). Typically, I have more respect for the mod author who makes their mod open source and allows users to do with the mod as they please, just as the creators of the game have allowed the community to modify the game as they please, than I am someone who is more concerned with broken license agreements and petty ego arguments.

I am all for credit being given where it is due, however I am also hoping for the Starbound community to grow in a healthy manner and not have the insanity that you see on Curse and Nexus. The fact that adfly and its ilk is already not allowed is a wonderful step in that direction.

16. SethKipz

SethKipz Aquatic Astronaut

I wouldn't really care. It's not like I'm actually losing anything.

Also, the United States has an absolutely terrible copywrong system, and you all should try to avoid supporting it in any way possible.

Xzalander and vernadead like this.
  17. Black--snow

Of course, I enjoy having others compliment my work by means of addition. If someone adds something to my mod, by all means distribute it! Hell, send it to me so I can add it to the mod's thread if you like!
    I've personally never been into gaming politics, if things can be settled in a nice conversational manor I'd both have more faith in humanity/the internet and be happier.

18. Enzer_DeLeo

I like your attitude, this is the kind of community I'd like to see flourish. :)

19. Well, basically, the main point of the topic is to prevent people stroking their ego by using Copyright as means of control. I glad that people understand this. And I really hope that Chucklefish will add some lines in to EULA that defines any mod content developed for Starbound as their, thus releasing all people with huge egos from ability to use copyright as means of control, thus releasing entire modding community from copyright madness.

20. JFoxx64

JFoxx64 Big Damn Hero

It's just hullabaloo unless someone actually attempts to bring another person to court over it. I wouldn't even puff feathers at this honestly. Games have been copyrighted out sideways and people still "borrow concepts" and create their own "unique" things. Just because you slap "Copyright" on something doesn't mean people are going to be controlled by it [the word].