Modding Discussion Mod Creation GUI

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by wharnal, Dec 9, 2013.

1. wharnal

wharnal Intergalactic Tourist

I'm working on making a GUI to simplify mod creation and I was wondering... What's important to you in a mod interface?
    Currently, I'm planning:
    • Editing/creating weapons, tools, and blocks
    • Easily switching between sets of mods for testing
    • Packaging mods for distribution
    • Crafting recipes/new crafting stations
    • Designing ships
    The last bullet is probably a ways away, but my current plan is to finish the interface for item creation soon and put an alpha up on here. Thoughts?

2. Whitey

Whitey Poptop Tamer

3. Patchumz

Patchumz Pangalactic Porcupine

How about adding quests as well? It's a pretty simple process to add and edit quests.

4. YukiTrance

YukiTrance Big Damn Hero

Something that looks nice and works across all platforms. You can try doing what I was doing a while back and use a multimedia lib like SDL or SFML and make something nice. I lost the project due to the hard drive I had stored it on going out on me. Fairly simple to put in a nice GUI, getting the functionality of actually working with JSON is a bit different though. Good luck to you. I'm curious in how yours will turn out.

5. RockyTV

RockyTV Big Damn Hero

I think if someone makes a GUI Mod Creator, well, goodbye Starbound. Minecraft is full of these, and they are just used for those lazy people. I suggest that you don't make it and let people find their own way to create mods.

6. Khataclysme

Khataclysme Big Damn Hero

No it's a good idea, some ppl will use it, some don't, please do it :)

7. wharnal

wharnal Intergalactic Tourist

I like that idea, Patchumz--and seeing as someone else on this forum is already working on a gun creation tool, I think I'll focus on quests first. I have the JSON parsing/writing and the basic interface down, so hopefully by tomorrow I'll be able to put some screenshots up.

8. Kage

Kage Void-Bound Voyager

so hows the progress?