Modding Help MESSAGE TO ALL MODDERS: mod proposal, mine bots

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by this_is_VALHALLA, Jun 3, 2015.

?

would you like to see this mod?

1. yes

90.2%
  2. no

9.8%
  1. this_is_VALHALLA

this_is_VALHALLA Space Spelunker

just to make sure i do this right, do i make the sprite like i did mine or piece by piece so he will be an npc?

2. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

Like an object, for now he can simply be an animated background piece; If at a later point, we decide to make him an NPC, we can.

3. this_is_VALHALLA

4. haynesy566

haynesy566 Heliosphere

EMPTYterramart.png
    Almost finished the sign, well be back tomorrow, thanks guys. Sign will be done soon

5. this_is_VALHALLA

6. Inf_Wolf14

7. this_is_VALHALLA

8. Inf_Wolf14

Okay, now that I'm awake, that looks really good! I suggest maybe moving his legs apart; For some hardened looking mechanic kinda guy, he looks kinda uptight with his stiff-looking legs there.

9. this_is_VALHALLA

how like one forward and one back or spread apart, and its a sidways view so it a little difficult

10. Inf_Wolf14

Yea something implying:
    "Yea, I'm old. But I can still kick your ass."

I kinda imagine him as a gruff, serious kinda dude. Even making something like the player stances may look alright.

11. this_is_VALHALLA

Imported piskel(4).gif [DOUBLEPOST=1433966178][/DOUBLEPOST]its hard making it spread out and keeping it physically correct

Inf_Wolf14 likes this.
  12. this_is_VALHALLA

Imported piskel.png it's the engine peice[DOUBLEPOST=1433983913][/DOUBLEPOST]fuel tank Imported piskel(1).png

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  13. Old_Crazy_Gamer

Old_Crazy_Gamer Pangalactic Porcupine

Like the idea but have a few questions and or ideas:

1.? - How does the Bot know what type of planet you currently orbit.
    2.? - If planet is known how does the bot know what ores are present.
    3.? - One the unit would be on timer to represent dig time, is that possible.
    4.S - Its behavior would be like a pets behavior.
    5.S - IF 1&2 are known then you can make a loot table for it.
    6.S - Bot would be tiered - each tier allows for better amounts of mats and possibility of rare mats (ie diamond, ect) and be able to go to worlds with higher difficulty.

Behavior of bot - until clicked on it functions as a pet, when clicked on i does a scan of planet then simulates a port to planet then comes back in a certain amount of time depending on planet and then waits till clicked again to give loot to player.

14. Inf_Wolf14

Sorry if we were at some point unclear with this. We have been engaged in private conversations to divide and conquer this mod.

Concerning what you asked:
    Primarily, the intent is to have a central station of planetary-scale from which the player controls drone operation for that world.
    I planned to write pathing and behavior scripts uniquely for the drones which would be used as NPCs.
    From the station, a player would supply drones which they construct themselves. (With some help of course! Hint, hint, what we've been making designs for. ^) Forth which, the drones would follow a standard mine and collect protocol, whilst following their pathing instructions.

In regard to what you addressed for tiers, we had already planned this ahead of time. (^,^) In short, the tier of drone determines the mining capabilities and resistances to natural hazards of the world(s). Example:
    -A Tier 1 drone would be limited to basic metal collection like copper, iron, etc. And would be greatly prone to natural hazards.
    -Whereas, a Tier 6 drone will have a much grander variety of collection abilities, and thus, greater defenses against hazards.

In further regard to how you mentioned the "clock" thing. If what you meant is the system @Kayuko implied, then I have been thinking of using that as well. Of course it would be pretty to see your drones actually mining and working like your own army. ( *Holds is thoughts of world domination* ) But why choose only one option?
    I suggest (Though do NOT quote me on this!) implementing both systems. The fancy one to handle regions currently loaded. And the timer one too manage times the player is not present.

This "little" rant was purposed to outlining the functionality and system I envision for this mod. If you have any more concerns, or if I forgot to address something you asked about, feel free to call me out on it! ^,^
    -Wolfy

Edit:
    Thank you for your interest in this mod! If you have any more suggestions or even criticisms, I welcome them! Drop a message to one of us three, or here in this thread, and we'll get back to you! :rofl:

haynesy566 likes this.
  15. this_is_VALHALLA

minebot mindboard Imported piskel(2).png

Inf_Wolf14 likes this.
  16. Inf_Wolf14

I'm loving these Valhalla! Keep up the great work!

this_is_VALHALLA likes this.
  17. this_is_VALHALLA

minebot core Imported piskel(3).png [DOUBLEPOST=1433995296][/DOUBLEPOST]treads for the higher up minebots, for ease lets say the spider bot legs are held within the core Imported piskel(4).png [DOUBLEPOST=1433995373][/DOUBLEPOST]i think I'm getting way better at pixel art

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  18. Inf_Wolf14

Haha, I agree.

19. thevalidperson

thevalidperson Seal Broken

Hey I've been following this discussion for a few days now and think this is fantastic! I have an idea to add to this of possible malfunctioning mine bots (i.e. attacking the player) after it's been functioning for a while. After a safe period then it varies after that using a RNG, this also is never 100% going to happen, like 1% chance to happen.

I might come up with more ideas later but this is just a thought if you want to add more difficulty to the mod/yourselves.

20. this_is_VALHALLA

we could make a minebot enemy type i would think, like they could be territorial and try to kill you for stealing the ore from them, and they could drop ore when killed.