1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Memory Leak && Insanely high ram usage

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Silverdagger, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Silverdagger

Silverdagger Void-Bound Voyager

Hello so i was playing the game today heavily customizing my spaceship when at some point i got a warning from windows notifying me that there was little memory left. So i checked and saw that starbound was eating 9GB of ram at that point.(i have 8GB physical + 4GB Virtual). So i closed the game and tried to find the source of the leak.

I noticed that after browsing through several item from the "Pixel printer" the memory kept getting reserved without it ever getting freed.

I included Screenshots below:

normal: Normal usage during me being at the spaceship
    medium: after i start and browse the pixel printer for 5 min
    intense: System exhastes all physical memory after some time of browsing the pixel printer
    after shutdown: system usage after the game shuts down
    object: the spaceship and the Pixel printer that is causing trouble

Screenshots

I was able to reproduce the problem many times.

log seems ok but i attached it anyway

Attached Files:

Monario likes this.
  2. Cupa

Cupa Pangalactic Porcupine

It is normal that so much load can be there with the Pixel Printer. It contains, in admin-mode, almost all furniture in the game which gets loaded into RAM.

3. Silverdagger

Yes but the memory does not get freed, it stays commited throughtout the game causing issues...

I do not think that this behavior: reserving 8 GB or Ram for the game is intentional..

4. Cupa

Weird. Then we have to wait for a dev or similiar to get that fixed...

5. Silverdagger

Helping getting this issue fixed is the reason i created this thread.

Hope it gets fixed soon :DD

6. Monario

Monario Subatomic Cosmonaut

My god thank you so much for this. I've been having the same issue since forever but I lack the technical knowledge to both explain and properly test things.
    Only thing I'd suggest you do is mention that this is happening in the 1.0.5 version of the game, because the thread may get buried and there are threads of people with this issue in older versions of the game, and apparently some of them are no longer experiencing the issue? though not sure how that's possible.

Thanks for having the issue lol D: as bad as that sounds!

P.S.: Needless to say, I'm having the same issue too. I have 8GB of RAM (no virtual that I know of o_O, not even sure what that'd be), and it only takes maybe a minute of browsing through the pixel printer (no admin mode) for my Windows to completely run out of memory and make my game crash with a memory-maxed error :(
    This issue has forced me to use Admin mode every time I build; instead of using the printer, I just pop /Admin, then check the wiki for objects true names and spawn them. That works like a charm. Just wish I didn't have to "cheat" to get my stuff >_<.

7. Geth270

Geth270 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There have been multiple threads in the past about this issue already, I can't be bothered to look for them but I can confirm that the pixel printer is causing memory leaks.
    It appears to happen every time you open up the printer window and for each separate tab in it, the more you open/close it the more memory gets clogged up.
    I made a video testing this:

0:00 - 0:23 Setting up Test 1 (Idle) the game starts when there is about 3000MB of RAM in use, after start the usage goes up to 4300/4400MB

0:23 - 7:54 Pretty much just sit there doing nothing for 30 min to see if the RAM usage increases when the game is just running, but it stays consistent at around 4400MB

8:00 - 8:14 I reset everything and prepare for the pixel printer test

8:42 - 10:20 I actively use the printer, switching between tabs, printing items but don't close the window, the memory usage went up a little but did not get affected by printing or switching tabs after they have been loaded once

10:24 - 12: 33 I start actively opening the printer window switching between all the tabs, closing it, rinse and repeat until my RAM usage goes up to 10200MB

12: 33 - 12:48 I idle for a little bit

12:48 - 15:05 I go through each tab carefully to see how much memory a full sweep of pixel printer can take up, it turned out to be about 1000MB

15:20 - 19:20 I pretty much just idle to see if the memory goes down at all (i open up the printer once with process explorer open) but the memory stays up there.

19:20 - 19: 35 I close down the game and watch the memory free up

Silverdagger and Monario like this.
  8. Cupa

If I'm not too lazy, I might take a really close look into the matter and try to fix it via a mod some time in the future (but I don't think that'll be easy or even possible)

9. argenex

argenex Void-Bound Voyager

I have a giant memory leak without the pixel printer, such that the game is unplayable. After about 5 minutes in the game turns to trash and stutters every 30 seconds forever.

Silverdagger likes this.
  10. Silverdagger

thanks for recreating and showing the problem as well. I also have some new insights to share:

If you ignore the windows warnings about memory and keep playing your game terminates with "std:: bad allocation" error so your pc wont crash which is nice

Also i noticed that sometimes in the ram usage tab the "in use" memory and the "commited" memory have way different values
    ie usage will be around 4GB while commited was at 10GB and SB was the culprit for commiting all the extra memory

Hope it gets fixed soon !

argenex likes this.
  11. Monario

Monario Subatomic Cosmonaut

I just wish we would get some kind of word from a dev. or something.
    The story and missions in the game are nice and all, but gets to a point where what drives you to play is to build interesting and cool things, and this memory issue with such a huge part of building is really starting to put me off :( Not to say I haven't had my big share of fun with the game, but unlike some people who just move on to something else, I'd love to keep going D:

12. Hurokun

Hurokun Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i dont like to necro posts, but this issue still is up =/
    no new from the devs about fixing/ working around this?

13. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

The issue is known to the devs and i am sure they're working on a fix for it.

~ Iris ~

Shaggyd0g likes this.
  14. CasMaster

CasMaster Void-Bound Voyager

Sorry to bring this post back once again but here we are, a year later and the Pixel Printer still makes the game lag as hell :/

15. TutyRO

TutyRO Void-Bound Voyager

2 years later ;)

16. Silverforte

Silverforte Spaceman Spiff

That's funny.

17. Curtiola

Curtiola Void-Bound Voyager

Would be sweet if I could use my pixel printer.. :slowpoke:

18. Catherine Franz

Catherine Franz Spaceman Spiff

Spawnable Item pack mod to the rescueeee!!! I think...

19. Curtiola

Curtiola Void-Bound Voyager

I suppose so, though it's a little too cheaty for my taste, at least the pixel printer has some limitations & cost.

20. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

actually that lags worse than the pixel printer so not a good idea either

Curtiola likes this.