1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Memory Leak 1.2.1

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by gameboytj, Dec 29, 2016.

1. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

The highest peak i had for Starbound was 4.5GB
    Is there way to fix this leak? I'm guessing the massive spike in RAM usage is from areas you visited during the game's session, they do not empty out of the ram. Shame it doesn't unload the areas you aren't in anymore.
    This can be easily fixed by quitting the game and relaunching.

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

How do you know it is a leak and not just regular usage? The game will use what it needs if it has the room to expand into.

3. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

The RAM usage just keeps climbing when i go to more planets. I guess it doesn't unload those cells when i leave. And doesn't unload missions either. I wound up hitting 80% ram usage (i have 8G:cool:

4. lazarus78

I tried to max my ram usage and couldnt get much over 2GB even with large planets. I don't think it is a memory leak, otherwise it would effect everyone.

5. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

Why did it go so high for me? If it's because i did 2 missions and 5 planets in a single session, i think it needs to clean out the cells that have been unloaded for over 15 minutes.
    Otherwise it stays in the RAM and slowly grows as i explore.
    When i was on my ship it was 780 MB. If i'm on a planet i expect it to be between 1-2GB

6. lazarus78

The game does unload things. Maybe you triggered a bug that prevented it, but it doesn't sound like a memory leak.

7. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

I hope there is a way to fix it.
    I mean granted yeah i could close the game and reopen it to flush the ram, but what if i'm playing online?

8. Marcus101RR

Marcus101RR Void-Bound Voyager

A Memory leak is a bug, and a bug can be the memory leak. Ergo, if a code sequence was meant to execute an unload procedure, but fails because of missing constraints, or circumvention then that specific load/unload sequence is known to be a memory leak. Since the memory is growing but not shrinking anymore. So It very much is possible that is a very hard to achieve memory leak in the game.

9. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

I wish there was a way to unload the planets and missions i left. Because what is the point of having it in the RAM if you aren't there?

10. lazarus78

The way you word your posts is like you believe they intended the game to not unload things. Why is that?

Obviously that in not how they designed things.

11. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

I feel like it isnt, because my RAM grew to 4.5GB and i ended up with a "warning, your PC is low on RAM, please close (Starbound) to save RAM" It was asking me to close my game to save ram. (Maybe it's the missions that don't unload?)