1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Melee or Shooting

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by jjjason99, Jun 26, 2012.

?

would you rather have more shooting or melee weapons in the game?

1. shooting

78.8%
  2. melee

58.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjjason99

jjjason99 Orbital Explorer

would you rather?

2. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Err... besides the strangely short post... I do have a comment.
    In most "Sci-Fi" games, range out-performs forms of melee combat because of it's ability to deal damage from a distance before your opponent has a chance to get close to you. But, in Starbound, because the game is from a 2D perspective you can't always see them coming until they're right on you, especially if your resolution isn't that great. I always thought it was sad that players playing in Widescreen or on large monitors had an advantage over those who didn't, or couldn't.

3. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

4. Eight

Eight Pangalactic Porcupine

(Wans't this thread called "POLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!" before?)
    OT:
    I never really thought about that. Could you see even more with 2 monitors?
    EDIT: Actually I rember one of the Devs saying that you could move the camera so you could see more.

5. Seahorse

Seahorse Zeromus

6. Sham

Sham Spoony Bard

If there were a gunblade, I would totally dual wield.

7. M C

M C Parsec Taste Tester

dual wield sword/gun. just slash through mobs and then shoot em xd

Kristopher likes this.
  8. ranmafan

ranmafan Big Damn Hero

Ranged. Xenomorph blood in my face would be a poor way to go.

9. Aeridan

Aeridan Pangalactic Porcupine

While I would definitely choose a gunblade if they put one in the game, if they don't I would choose melee. For some reason, I tend to prefer melee over ranged. *shrugs*

10. Fluffy Arsonist

Fluffy Arsonist Cosmic Narwhal

i will choose whichever does the least damage. because everyone knows that the scientist is there for support, not damage!

Tower07 likes this.
  11. civengine

civengine Big Damn Hero

I would like both in the game, because a swordChainsaw and shotgun plas 1200 duel-wield!

12. The Enderman

The Enderman Phantasmal Quasar

It depends on the game, though if its like Terraria, I'll go mix.

13. Jjusto223

Jjusto223 Title Not Found

Why should you choose only one, melee or ranged? Ranged is for making them angry from long distances, melee is for using knockback to keep that angry thing away from you until he dies.

14. Ozymandias

Well from what I read it seems that there will be gear and items to meet each specific role, and the only way to change your gear is to go back to the space-station. An example of an item mentioned in the Confirmed Information post is an item you can throw down that increases the damage of your ranged fire. If you try to mix it up you might be at a disadvantage when compared to someone who doesn't.

15. I'd pick the most powerful, accurate ranged weapon, hide in the clouds, and take my enemy out of the world with a single bullet through the head.

16. Ozymandias

What you should shoot is a nice little tracer bullet... it hits him, and is immediately followed by an Orbital Cannon shot to his face :V

Alternal and civengine like this.
  17. cerevox

cerevox Phantasmal Quasar

Melee or ranged? You plan to actually fight things yourself? Why not just bring along a pack of genetically engineered monsters that devour anything that even looks at you funny? Or a giant automated robot? Actually doing the killing yourself, how very uncivilized. :lod:

JohnnyValentino likes this.
  18. Ozymandias

Oh come come, what king doesn't occasionally partake in personally dispatching of those not worthy of being within his gaze?

19. cerevox

cerevox Phantasmal Quasar

I will concede that perhaps there might be some merit to being near the action. Perhaps I might even push the button to fire the orbital cannons myself instead of ordering the navigator to do it. Hmmm, yes, that sounds most delightful, and I might even see that action from my vantage point.

20. Clad in Plaid

Clad in Plaid Cosmic Narwhal

I hope unarmed combat is a viable option, so I can play Guile's theme while I punch aliens in the face.

OT: Swords and axes are 100% more badass when they're put up against laser rifles (and win).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.