Modding Discussion Meet the Sylpheed!

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by SpeedBoy123, Feb 11, 2017.

?

Should I keep working on the mod? Or is it just a failure to do so?

1. Yes, Work on it!

100.0%
  2. Nah. It might be a failure at the end.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SpeedBoy123

SpeedBoy123 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yep! I am creating my own mod on Starbound, and this is my first time! Well. It hasn't been my first time fully making a mod for other games, but either way.

What are the Sylpheed? - Well! They are Moth-Like People, that learned Space-Faring thanks to both Floran and Humans.

The Story? Well. Here it is! (Keep in mind for some typos! I am, still working on it and this story is pretty much a Prototype! It might change!)
    Evolved from the Floran, from a Nature-like body to a more bug-like body, the Sylpheed are creatures that thrive in the end of the universe, living in solitude, to stay away from the Floran as far as possible, without interrupting a species' main planet. Sylpheed have learned many things from the Floran untill they were betrayed by them, with their act of aggression and eating them alive, they have fled the planet and chose many planets at the end of the universe to live in.

They have found Space Travel quite quickly, thanks to the Floran Technology, and thanks to the Human Technology, by trading, they have found out to use technology for their own good, for health, and for different tasks where a normal being would die or get seriously damaged. It also opened a door for them, a way to change genetics, in order to give them abilities, but.... They have failure with it, as the technology isn't advanced enough to keep the strains alive enough without imploding.

Unlike the Floran, Sylpheed are not Unisex, and are born with three genders, Male, Female and Hermaphrodite, although thanks to the Evolution from the Floran, they have mutated their DNA to be able to change their Gender for a time being. It is not known how they control this, or if it's just their body reacting to pheromones.

Although they have escaped the Floran Civilization, they are aware of some "Friendly" Florans, and do trade with them frequently, some are sent out in the universe, to explore, and find more sentient species to speak with and trade with.

Whilst the Floran are very aggressive, the Sylpheed are very passive to any species, even the Floran, and rarely go into combat, and ask for forgiveness if said person is accidently hurt by their own mistakes. Sylpheed are always armed with a Tactical Knife, which is barely used, exept for survival purposes (Cutting Plants, Carving Wood, Etc.)

How do you like the idea? Please both, vote and post your opinions to it!

Here's an art of "How" it will look like! (I do tend to change it a bit, for sakes of creativity and other things.)

Sylpheed 1.png

Megumin likes this.
  2. Megumin

Megumin Guest

i wish someone make (The Grox) race

3. SpeedBoy123

Well. After this race is done, I am planning to create The Grox race on Starbound. With their own items, upgrades, and weaponry. Even the ship will be made to look like the Grox Ship. I do however, need help from Artists, for both this and the Grox Race. I also plan to make many other races, if possible with my limited time. But I hope you enjoy this one too!

Megumin likes this.
  4. Megumin

Megumin Guest

search in google for their ship xD

5. SpeedBoy123

You don't get it. Starbound uses a 2D Ship, with a hole inside, instead of 3D. Also I rather want to use Self-Made/Commisioned Art, rather than art made from other people, to prevent copyright infrigments.

Megumin likes this.
  6. Megumin

Megumin Guest

it's only crossover mod what's wrong? xD
    btw if it possible to redesign this ship into 2d it would be awesome ^^
    (or just leave vanilla human ship)

7. SpeedBoy123

There's nothing wrong with crossovers, but also think about this. Imagine you make a Ship of the Grox in 2D, only so you can share it with others to 'see' not 'use', and suddently, somebody uses it on a mod, without asking you. How would you feel?

Also EA (Creators of Spore), stopped working on Spore alltogether. They basically forgot about it, and nothing new is made for it, exept Player-Made things. Spore came out way before Starbound came out, and everything is 3D Rendered. Starbound is 2D. You get what I am saying? Starbound is Pixel, and Spore is a 3D Rendered game, taking a Picture of the side of the ship is possible, but it'll look weird compared to the other things that are in Starbound, more realistic than pixel-y. The Race would also be in Pixel Form, rather than 3D Rederation in Pixel. And trust me, putting a 3D Render to Pixel looks VERY ugly. I tried it once, it turns into a glob of mess.

Megumin likes this.
  8. Ultimate sandvich

Ultimate sandvich Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I feel your pain with the pixel art, I honestly suck with that shit haha

Anyways, looks like a really good idea! It would be really nice to see this become something ^-^ If you ever need help or anything, feel free to contact me. I don't have any experience with new races, but I'm sure I can help you figure certain things out.

Also, a question that might be a bit off-topic, but would you be interested in collaborating on a mod? I started working on a mod called Afterlife. It's a mod that focusses on adding story about what happens after the ruin got destroyed, but a lot of other elements too. Not just new weapons, armor, monsters and missions, but also new game mechanics.

However, I realized that it will be way too much work to do this on my own, so I decided to reach out to the forums. If you want we could implant your new race in there, or just keep it seperate. But yeah, if you're interested just let me know.

9. Megumin

Megumin Guest

it looks like you making your mod at first time xD

10. SpeedBoy123

Sure thing! If you want we can use a portal for talking to eachother about your idea and I can help you! I know a bit of Pixel-Art, so I can do a few, Low Quality ones, as a base then work on it more, which may take longer, I am great in scripting, so leave the coding of the Game Mechanics to me, if you do let me help ya. I do however, have school, stress issues with parents and other things, so I might not work 24/7 on it constantly, but I try to make things work, at a fast rate.

11. Ultimate sandvich

Ultimate sandvich Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hey, can you take a look at your inbox? I messaged you there and added you to a group chat.

12. Blu Fish

Blu Fish Void-Bound Voyager

I really like the idea. The lore is really cool and the race looks quite nice. Would they use a floran ship or have there own unique one?