OOC Medievalbound (Apps Closed)

Discussion in 'Role Playing' started by Alkanthe, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

Ah, that's actually a role I've considered. Obviously there will be no teleporting or space trains available, but... how did traveling merchants carry their things in the old days? Wagons, or horses, correct? I'd allow something like that, I think, for your character to carry his wares on or in.

2. DustyScabbard

DustyScabbard Spaceman Spiff

Hmm, I was going to submit one of my Dustys as a character, but the one I was thinking of is much too similar to that of quitaren's. I do have something else in mind, however, and I'll post it shortly.

Alkanthe likes this.
  3. DustyScabbard

DustyScabbard Spaceman Spiff

So let it be written, so let it be done.

Name: Alan Sorkin (Nicknamed 'Dusty' by his peers)
    Race: Human
    Build: Alan is tall, just a hair under 6'0" and he has thin runner's muscle under all of his robes.
    Appearance: Alan has a sharp face, peppered with unshaven stubble most of the time, and his head sprouts light brown hair of a dusty coloring. His attire consists of a white tunic and black pants, over which he wears a dark brown cloak, which has many pockets sewn on the inside.
    Belongings: With him always are Alan's journals of study as well as some relevant texts for wherever he is traveling to. In his cloak there are also vials of various liquids, his pouch of money, and a pouch of herbs and the like that have some medicinal benefits. Alan also carries his sword, a lightweight blade that allows for quick or tricky movements.
    Strengths: Alan can learn new topics with ease, and finds insight into readings much faster than others, as well as coming up with solutions to problems. While not the strongest fighter in the land, he is very adept at disarming his opponents in combat.
    Flaws: Alan tends to overwork himself at times when he finds an interesting subject to study. He'll work without food or sleep for about 24 hours then simply collapse. Alan also tries to help everyone he can, which can lead to him being deceived or attacked because of his attempts at goodwill.
    Backstory: As a child Alan lived in a large city, a sprawl of never ending people and sights. His father tried to raise him the best he could after Alan's mother had left the family, working as a barkeep for one of the local inns. Alan spent his time walking around the city, taking in the sights and sounds, learning what he could from the people around him. Occasionally he would find a book tossed aside, and after collecting many of these discarded treasures, Alan learned to read, which was a great joy in his life. When he was 14, his father passed due to a fire in the city, burning his father's workplace to the ground. Now alone, Alan secluded himself in the silent home. A week or two later, a guard from a noble household in the neighboring country. It turns out his mother had sent for him upon learning of her ex-husband's death, having remarried the duke of that country. Reluctantly Alan was taken in my his mother and new royal family, with his mother trying to make what amends she could. Alan asked to be sent away for schooling, and so he was for most of his life, learning and studying and doing little else. From regular schooling he went to a special monastery to learn from the monks. Gathering all the knowledge and teachings from them, Alan travels the world in an attempt to continue to learn.
    Etc: His mother writes to him occasionally in order to keep up with his life. While the two don't get along, Alan tries to be pleasant in his letters to her.

Strength: 3
    Agility: 3
    Perception: 4
    Intelligence: 6
    Constitution: 2
    Charisma: 2
    Dexterity: 4
    Will: 3

4. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

Looks good! The only thing I noticed was a sentence fragment, here:
    But that didn't affect whether I accepted your application or not. You're in, my good sir!

Apathy Applied likes this.
  5. ShinigamiX

ShinigamiX Big Damn Hero

Okay, I'll work on something along those lines.

Alkanthe likes this.
  6. zeskorion

zeskorion Oxygen Tank

Aw, another traveller in a wagon
    Huff

Alkanthe likes this.
  7. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

Hey, at least I think this one is honest.

still think we need more thieves and brigands

zeskorion likes this.
  8. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

Alright, if I'm joining in, I know what role I can fill in.

Alkanthe likes this.
  9. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

Heheheheh. That, or a religious wanderer, or a royal soldier, or a member of that mysterious army... but choose the role you want. A bunch of possibilities are listed in the OP.

10. zeskorion

zeskorion Oxygen Tank

Name : Nook
    Race: Novakid
    Build: tall and abnormally skinny, with wily fingers. moves kinda like jack skellington
    Appearance: a tall novakid brownish novakid, very skinny, who dresses in a long brightly colored coat. said coat has innumerable pockets and compartments to store small items and perform sleight of hand
    Belongings : two horses, along with a wagon full of gadgets ,an old robe full of medals, along with a dusty forgotten chest full of metals and books, and a shelf of odd potions and tinctures half of which are medicines that do not even work. he also has several throwing knives and lockpicks on himself, as well as pyrotechnic powders and a toolset
    Strengths : quick thinker, fast reflexes, quiet, sleight of hand, fast, good liar, good with gadgets, great with talking

Flaws: selfish, greedy, cowardly, weak, forgetful, unfaithful, pervert
    Backstory: he has been travelling awhile, he has forgotten what he used to be. all he has is an old alchemist robe and a chest full of books and strange chemicals, as well as all kinds of compartments and gadgets hidden in the wagon that even he has no idea what they do. He has been around the entire continent in his long lifespan. he is so old his plasma has gone dim, and he may well have songs and folklore written about him. but he somehow is still young and spry
    Theme Song :
    Etc: even though he has forgotten many of his past deeds, others havent, he has quite a few people who want his head on a pike. he values his wagon more than anything and will never abandon it.

Strength: 1
    Agility : 4
    Perception : 4
    Intelligence : 4
    Constitution : 1
    Charisma : 5
    Dexterity : 6
    Will : 2

Apathy Applied and Alkanthe like this.
  11. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

Interesting. There are a couple things I'm not so sure about - one is the wagon, which has a lot of vaguely described "gadgets" - there's definitely potential for abuse of power there. But I'll just have to keep tabs on that wagon's little tricks, I guess. Also, pyrotechnic powders... I'm not too sure what kinds of pyrotechnic stuff would be available in this time period yet. Gunpowder (though it wouldn't be called that) is most likely a thing, probably imported from the Hylotl regions to the south... dunno about anything else. I imagine he wouldn't have a lot of that, though. We might want to discuss some of these things in PM.
    Second thing is - why is Nook in Fortuna? What are his goals? All I see is his past, and that's fine, but some basic goals will help me to classify him and set him on his own track. I should probably edit the character sheet template to reflect that, heh.
    Don't get me wrong now, this is a good idea, I'd just like a little bit more specificity.

12. zeskorion

zeskorion Oxygen Tank

the ambiguity in gadgets is mostly because i dont wanna think of stuff, but considering the time period, it cant be anything really op
    and the powders,i will list them
    -black powder (old gunpowder)
    -flash powder (a really loud explosive powder, a fast burn, unlike gunpowder)
    -several powders that make flames change color
    -smoke powder
    -powders that release hallucinogens/sedatives, if the area is enclosed enough to use them
    reasons?
    well, he is probably there to sell his wares, like why he is everywhere

Alkanthe likes this.
  13. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

I've never heard of a hallucinogen/sedative powder like that, but the rest look fine. And yeah, maybe I'm being a bit too cautious here, heh... thank you though.

14. zeskorion

zeskorion Oxygen Tank

basically it is smoke powder that has the drugs mixed in, and they become inhalable vapor

15. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

Okay, fine. Just remind me to keep him away from fires... :p

zeskorion likes this.
  16. Gilligan Lanley

Gilligan Lanley Space Kumquat

Before I make my character sheet, are avali allowed?

17. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

Yes, Avali are allowed. This'll be interesting.

Gilligan Lanley likes this.
  18. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

Huh, and here I was thinking that would be the one race that would be barred from this gig because they would not be thematically appropriate... The biology alone would problematic, unless we ignore that.

zeskorion likes this.
  19. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

Guess what I'm working on? A way around that.

Gilligan Lanley likes this.
  20. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova