Mature look, gore and cities

Discussion in 'Other' started by Stoltverd, Aug 25, 2013.

?

Choose a suggestion

1. I vote YES for a more mature look!

51.2%
  2. I vote YES for some OPTIONAL gore!

64.0%
  3. I vote YES for cities!

72.1%
  1. Symphony

Symphony Giant Laser Beams

This isn't about maturity, or realism, or darkness. We don't need planets made of mutilated flesh, and we don't need fountains of blood spraying from a pin prick. No, having a bit of blood splatter would not" clash and ruin the style of the game." Where the hell is that coming from? There's nothing satisfying or enjoyable about killing something and having it poof away into smoke. If it stays the way it is, hopefully mob grinding isn't required to find certain items. A bit of blood makes combat more enjoyable.

Blood is part of human culture guys. The crusades, the dark ages, the world wars. We're a violent species ;) So let's pay hommage to the blood god.

Also the poop argument made earlier isn't effective at all, as the Po' are already part of the game. If we can have shit, why not some blood? ;) blood blood blood violence violence, yipee! So arousing~

profile_name likes this.
  2. Cag

Cag Void-Bound Voyager

Considering that the OP's suggestion is for gore to be added into the game, we are talking about more than a little blood here, and while I cannot speak for you Symphony, I was still able to enjoy killing the enemies in Dark Souls that do not bleed and poof into smoke. I also don't think that mob grinding gets any more bearable when things bleed even a bit, since a grind is still a grind.

3. Symphony

Most of darksouls looks dark and grotesque to compensate for that, though I didn't play much of it. I saw friends play it. Also I don't imagine I'm wrong to say the combat is pretty advanced, challenging and exciting. The visual effects aren't as important when the system it's self makes the game. Like I said earlier I really don't care, it's not my choice to make. Though the addition wouldn't be wasted effort

4. F-ranko

F-ranko Heliosphere

Do we really need Gore of that caliber in vanilla Starbound?
    I mean, I'm fine with blood the way Terraria did it, and I think that having a little 2 pixel blood splash would enhance the overall immersion of the game, but having actual large blood splashes when you shoot people? Chunks of meat go flying when you blow something up? Having Corpses litter the ground? I just can't really see Starbound as that kind of game.
    I'm all about a Gore mod, though. I might even use it.

WoxandWarf and Symphony like this.
  5. jintoya

jintoya Scruffy Nerf-Herder

the topic (assuming you read it) clearly states Terraria-esque blood levels. not over the top.
    we are speaking of blood, the same caliber as Terraria, the op has validated this post a few times, i think that's appropriate, and id be against a big fountain of blood or an explosion of meat, so if that were the argument id be on your side.
    could you edit your Terraria-esque blood explanation into the main post so it will be more easily seen please? id appreciate it so people are better informed.
    while i dont mind a good debate on ethics, this is the wrong thread for it.

Stoltverd likes this.
  6. F-ranko

F-ranko Heliosphere

I did read it, however,
    That statement contradicts it. The blood splatters in Terraria were 3-ish red pixels. Unlike what it sounds like he's trying to describe, which is literal blood Splashes.

WoxandWarf and jintoya like this.
  7. Symphony

I for one would love to see some massive fountains and geysers of blood, plus some chunks of flesh raining from the sky. However I know that's not going to happen so I won't bother bringing it up ;) My true desire is much more than I'm arguing for, but that's my opinion therefore it has no room in my argument. Instead I'll fight for facts, which is that a bit of blood is a necessity.

8. jintoya

jintoya Scruffy Nerf-Herder

the topic, i wasn't referring to just the first post, (my bad, i wasn't clearer) that's why i asked him to edit it. also i didn't catch that the first time., it is indeed a contradiction.
    (also nice avatar, Megaman legends was a bad-ass game...maybe that's a different Megaman series, the hair and nose seem a little off.)

F-ranko likes this.
  9. Stoltverd

Stoltverd Big Damn Hero

Edited since it's true

10. Kenode

Kenode Void-Bound Voyager

I'd honestly vote yes to all of them. (Although I'm doubtful about the more mature look, not sure if it would fit). I wouldn't mind a bit of gore, Terraria style, like Stoltverd said, and even though I like a gibalicious game every now and then, I just think an excessive amount of gore like some people said would just not fit.
    However, people who are so much against the gore... there are different types of violence. The extremely bloody one is just so ridiculous it gets funny (A good example of this is Brutal Doom), however, less gorey games made me wince once or twice, like Moonstone, Dreamweb and maybe Braindead 13. And they aren't as gorey as Brutal Doom, yet I find them more violent and gruesome.

11. Pseudoboss

Pseudoboss Spaceman Spiff

I don't think that gore would fit with the aesthetic of Starbound. It seems like it's supposed to be a fairly happy place. Gore in a happy place doesn't need to be that much to create the dissonance between happyhappyfuntime and murdering bunnies. If gore is used in excess, then it would detract from the happyhappyfuntime atmosphere and create less of the dissonance. The occasional bloodplosion from killing one mob type or once in every 5-10 minutes of combat would be kinda creepy and enjoyable (Ohmygod did you see that bloodplosion from that fluffy rabbit! He must have had hundreds of gallons of the stuff!).
    However, Starbound isn't always happyhappyfuntime, many dungeons seem pretty dark and foreboding. Here, gore could be used in much broader strokes, enemies could explode into giblets, paint the walls and floor red and nobody would bat an eyelid, nor would it detract from the atmosphere, because it fits the tone.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  12. Deathskull

Deathskull Phantasmal Quasar

That doesn't mean that we can't have an option to leave it on for those of us who don't find a perfectly normal and harmless (unless you ingest it) bodily fluid to be "horrible", "hardcore" or "disgusting".

13. Stoltverd

Stoltverd Big Damn Hero

Yeah, because being hunted by aliens, being stranded in a strange planet and having your home planet destroyed by giant tentacles is super happy and funny! :D

14. Pseudoboss

The plot and the tone of a videogame can be two completely different things. I never said (in fact I explicitly stated the opposite) that Starbound would have even a single tone throughout the game.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  15. Stoltverd

Stoltverd Big Damn Hero

Not even the aesthetic. Or does trees that have eyes, monsters with tons of teeth seem cute to you?
    it doesn't make sense that a bunny in a dungeon bleeds, but a bunny in a flower field doesn't...

16. Pseudoboss

Yes, yes it does.
    In one, it fits the aesthetic, in the other it does not.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  17. MyLittleBurger

MyLittleBurger Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think an option for being able to turn more gore on would be good. I know games that are out already have some option like that, though it usually is a on and off option for gore (though sometimes a slider for different variations of gore).

18. TheKrister2

TheKrister2 Pangalactic Porcupine

I don't think that gore would be a good marketing choice plus what is wrong with the game looking more young oriented?? I like the way it looks because now I can have fun with it, do what I want in it, have my friends join and have more fun and such I find games like this fun and Terraria isn't exactly "gory" if you ask me and maybe someone else.. Terraria was the kind of game that me and my friends just sat down with and had fun with all the retarded stuff we though of and did, all that we built, the glitches etc. Me and my friends had a good time with that game and for all the years I have played it I can't say that Terraria has much gore :/

19. MyLittleBurger

MyLittleBurger Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Gore in terraria I think he means by that when you killed enemies they died in a small explosion of pixelly blood, and body parts.

20. TheKrister2

TheKrister2 Pangalactic Porcupine

I understand that (I think xD) but I think that Starbound shouldn't have gore in it unless it is based for a sertain age base, as I understood it the game was made for all ages and I think that having gore in such a game would be a bad marketing choice but of course they can add it but I wouldn't want to have "much" in it