Mature look, gore and cities

Discussion in 'Other' started by Stoltverd, Aug 25, 2013.

?

Choose a suggestion

1. I vote YES for a more mature look!

51.2%
  2. I vote YES for some OPTIONAL gore!

64.0%
  3. I vote YES for cities!

72.1%
  1. BrenSage

BrenSage Pangalactic Porcupine

Personally, I think you need to balance out the themes. You could have some scary and dark parts, and some fluffy and light parts.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  2. SpaceHyena

SpaceHyena Zero Gravity Genie

Sure lets add guts, gore, drugs, strippers and all that. This is not GTA V. Its not meant to be realistic which it is far away from, and also its not meant to be a game for ADULTS ONLY either. There could be an option to trigger blood or something. But this is more of a game for EVERYONE to enjoy. Not just blood-hungry people. I dont think this is a good idea at all. HOWEVER, the cities idea is nice. If you could expand on your ideas about it that could be interesting. No gore though. No gore. :D

Trowzers likes this.
  3. jintoya

jintoya Scruffy Nerf-Herder

it could be argued that if you dont want to see any gore at all then go play animal crossing or a farming game where you never eat anything that bleeds red blood, i think a small amount of blood accompanied by a little pile of enemy bits is totally ok, also how can you have an opinion based off of a lack of anything? that seems like an oxymoron like getting something from nothing...i dont get it, are you just afraid of disagreement? a guy i know is like that, its ok to state your opinion and dont need to fear others opinion...because that's their opinion, and were all free to have one. (but thats just my opinion lol)
    you barely read the forum didn't you? its either that or you are basing your logic completely off of exaggeration he said no more gore than in terraria. and for that i dont even think gore is the right word. i think correctly its known as Gibs.

Stoltverd likes this.
  4. Trowzers

Trowzers Existential Complex

I voted no to gore and 'mature' stuff. I don't think the gore adds anything to Terraria (except to make it hard to see things you didn't pick up), and I'm sick to death of depressing 'mature' games - I want good gameplay AND nice scenery for once! There are enough grim, post-apocalyptics zombie gore games out there, while it's exceedingly hard to find games you can happily play with a 3-year old looking over your shoulder (not that I have a 3-year old, but my friends do).
    I have nothing against people who like gore, and heck, I read horror and play some gorey games sometimes, it's just after searching a long time for a game that wasn't gross or grim or 'mature' while still having good gameplay and finding a depressingly short list, I think it's not necessary to include it in every darn game.

5. Cag

Cag Void-Bound Voyager

No on gore, not even optional. I do not think it makes sense artistically for Starbound to have gore, and I believe having gore for the sake of having gore is the wrong way to go about things. I don't see why Starbound needs to be mature really, I think the pastel colors and the colorful and cute animals are more fun to look at than grimdark fang monsters. It also does make Starbound standout and have a unique look to it, which is a plus when it comes to leting others know about the game. A darker looking starbound just muddies things and adds to an already oversaturated look.

6. Zody

Zody Weight of the Sky

Personally I don't get the current obsession with grim, dark and gore and why this has somehow come to be considered "mature". If you want grim and gritty go play something else, the is no shortage of gory games in urban environments let me tell you that. Just because bloody violence has grown to become the norm doesn't mean that every game has to look like some kind of interactive Zdzisław Beksiński painting IMO.

WoxandWarf and Trowzers like this.
  7. Trowzers

Who is totally going to google Zdzisław Beksiński now?

Ewww. Wow, but ewwwww!

WoxandWarf likes this.
  8. Lobo

Lobo Spaceman Spiff

wasnt an oxymoron, just me being lazy about explaining the reasons behind my opinion :whistle:

and...

:facepalm:
    I clearly stated my opinion...

9. jintoya

i was just encouraging you to be more confident and not discredit yourself, that's all.
    it is hard for emotionally driven responses to be perceived through text, i simply misjudged.

10. Stoltverd

Stoltverd Big Damn Hero

Finally someone that understands me! :D

11. Symphony

Symphony Giant Laser Beams

I've said it before, but anyone here who disagrees with a bit of blood is wrong, end of story. Blood is good, blood is true. Things bleed, blood is natural. Why include grass and dirt, why include living creatures, why include space. They exist, they're easy to understand, they're fundamental. Blood is a necessity, it can't be excluded for the sake of the "itty bitty babies who can't even speak yet and won't even be playing this game anyway". Kid's today already expect blood, they crave it. There's nothing wrong with that, it's human nature. ;) We're all a little blood thirsty. It could potentially hurt the sales with a tame and "happy gum drop" style. "Why should I play that lame game when I can go shoot noobs and blow their legs off in COD." - said everyone 9 year old boy in 1st world society. The only people who are going to appreciate this game for it's advanced game play (looking past the happy go lucky sunshine lollipop style), is us.

Now I may exaggerate some points here, but honestly I don't care. I'm going to love starbound regardless. I won't bother asking for something as crucial as blood and some honest graphic content, though that doesn't mean I don't crave it. If it's not going in, it's not going in. I'll live with it either way. Let's just admit that the "child friendly" concept in game design, especially indie game design, is dumb. I'm ready to pretend the white poofy clouds that burst from the corpse of my prey are actually just pulverized bone. I'm ridiculously powerful of course.

profile_name, DaviDeil and Stoltverd like this.
  12. Trowzers

Symphony, with all due respect, all those arguments apply equally to having the need to poop in game or you die. Poop is certainly natural. Just substitute 'blood' for 'poop' and the argument reads almost the same (although I cringe at the term 'poop thirsty').
    Heck, why not have female characters get their periods? That's perfectly natural and normal too!
    What? That's gross? But isn't gross what you wanted? :V

Gore in games is a personal aesthetic preference, nothing more. It is *not* a crucial part of the gameplay or a reflection of how well a person can appreciate a game, or a comment on the quality of the game itself. There is no 'wrong' or 'right' about wanting gore in a game, just 'I personally like/don't like it'. And IMHO there are such a vast number of games with gore already, that it's no longer original, and in fact a little tedious at times. If people cannot properly enjoy a game without bursts of blood and intestines regularly spraying the game, it's entirely a comment about the limited aesthetic preferences of the player, not the quality of the game.

13. Passarbye

Passarbye Phantasmal Quasar

I think Starbound is an odd title from what we've seen.
    sure, it's got its cute parts, but it also has a serious potential for role-playing. (among lots of other things)

I do believe though, that there should be some balance between the 'cute' and 'dark' content. Starbound isn't a 5 year old's game, but it isn't a 25 year old's game either.
    I think there should be a bit for everyone, but at this point in development (from what we've seen) there's more for a very young crowd as apposed to an older crowd.

It wouldn't hurt to add a few things to allow us older people enjoy the game more, but gore isn't one of them.
    it should be similar to the feel that 'Hell' in Terraria gives you. you know the place is full of evil things, it's dark and gloomy, but there isn't any crazy "WORSHIP SATAN" stuff. it's just 'dark'.

I'm really not sure how to explain it, but I'd go for 'dark' before i went for gore, especially with Starbound.

14. Symphony

Symphony Giant Laser Beams

Periods aren't gross at all. Also, fine. I'll remove that part, but everything else remains solid.

I've said it before, but anyone here who disagrees with a bit of blood is wrong, end of story. Blood is good, blood is true. Blood is a necessity, it can't be excluded for the sake of the "itty bitty babies who can't even speak yet and won't even be playing this game anyway". Kid's today already expect blood, they crave it. There's nothing wrong with that, it's human nature. ;) We're all a little blood thirsty. It could potentially hurt the sales with a tame and "happy gum drop" style. "Why should I play that lame game when I can go shoot noobs and blow their legs off in COD." - said everyone 9 year old boy in 1st world society. The only people who are going to appreciate this game for it's advanced game play (looking past the happy go lucky sunshine lollipop style), is us.

Now I may exaggerate some points here, but honestly I don't care. I'm going to love starbound regardless. I won't bother asking for something as crucial as blood and some honest graphic content, though that doesn't mean I don't crave it. If it's not going in, it's not going in. I'll live with it either way. Let's just admit that the "child friendly" concept in game design, especially indie game design, is dumb. I'm ready to pretend the white poofy clouds that burst from the corpse of my prey are actually just pulverized bone. I'm ridiculously powerful of course.

Better eh? And 100% not opinionated, I don't possess an opinion after all, I only work with fact.

15. Stoltverd

Stoltverd Big Damn Hero

Guns aren't crucial for gameplay in many games. Does that means that starbound shouldn't have them?
    What is good for some games are not good for every games.

Look what happened to Spore! Watch the streams of e3 at that time and look at the released product! That's why it got so much hate! It was a wonderful game, full of mature stuff without being 18+, it had so much potential. Until EA suits got involved and said "Oh let's make it age friendly!" and then it got a lot of content removed and realistic art replaced by cartoonish looks. It failed epically! (Tough spore is still a good game)
    What is good for a game is not good for every game...

Do you think it's very age friendly to shoot a penguin with an ak47? Even if there is no blood? Fighting is good? If i don't hit the face, chances are that there is no blood! So fighting someone to death is ok as long there is no blood?

I DO NOT WANT to be able to rip my enemies arm and then hit them to death with that same arm like in RUNE, but i do want to see some red spots when i hit a monster hard with a giant sword...

16. Trowzers

Not really because my main issue was with your first line "I've said it before, but anyone here who disagrees with a bit of blood is wrong, end of story". My favourite movie is Pan's Labyrinth and I've loved Stephen King since I was a kid, so I'm hardly scared of a little blood and horror, but I just don't think it suits this games aesthetic, I find it hard to find good games that don't have gore (I have a friend who can't play Terraria in front of his kid after an incident with an exploding bunny, nevermind my cousin with the phobia of blood so bad that for a while there she couldn't even write the word), and I don't think your arguments are a good enough reason to add it.

We're all entitled to our personal preference, but the way you phrase your arguments eg "Let's all agree that family friendly is dumb", you're putting words in other people's mouths and stating opinions as fact, and that makes me sadface :down: You want gore - great, that's fine, but it doesn't make me wrong because I don't, and I don't see any reason for lack of gore to somehow cripple this particular game. It'll probably end up in a mod anyway, for those who prefer it.

@Stoltverd I'm not referring to a few pixels when you hit something, but rather bodies exploding and blood and chunks spraying around aka Terraria, or tortured bodies and things lying around.

17. Cag

Cag Void-Bound Voyager

No, spore didn't get ruined by EA jumping in and making it a kiddie game, it got ruined by having 5 games watered down into one, that all stuck together in an incoherent fashion. Plus I remember it being an internal, not an EA decision to make things look cutesy in order to make the creatures you play more relatable.

And if we're going to talk about whether guns are cartoony, then of course they are, Elmer Fudd had a shotgun. You can still treat things as cartoony despite them containing things we'd normally consider mature. And we're hardly shooting penguins as we know them with an AK, we're firing at hyper-intelligent pirates that happen to be penguins because penguins. When the clown starts bleeding we've moved from comedy to horror.

18. Stoltverd

Stoltverd Big Damn Hero

yeah, it logical to see a monster hitted by a rocket launcher and it to still be intact.

19. jintoya

ITT: people take all logic aside and argue that blood & feces are the same. if you want your enemies to die with animations, that you must want prostitutes & drug use.

People, can we give she shenanigans a rest? i realize that the idea may be a LITTLE undesirable but i dont think that it constantly deservees a reaction like this...i was in a thread where someone was saying (and there was some confusion at first until i asked) about DRUG USE in starbound that didn't get a negative reaction like this, i think we seriously need to sort out our priorities.
    i agree with the bit on spore but i also think spore was a friggin failure, it was not the game i wanted, or the game they promised in the offset.
    although i agree on using looney tunes as a good example of bad things, Elmer Fudd and all other Disney characters have gone through a wide assortment of socially acceptable (at the time) taboos that you dont see any more and guns are among the only ones still in there today, including blood. but this is not a cartoon, and it is going to receive the same negative feedback from soccor moms until it is nothing but a farming game and that makes me sad...just because it will have guns. good debate by the way, nice use of examples.

DaviDeil likes this.
  20. Cag

Cag Void-Bound Voyager

Thank you kind sir for the compliment.

But yeah, the prime reason I am set against blood and gore in Starbound is ultimately, I do not think it'd mesh with what they have. We've already gone through the Darker and Edgier nineties, where quite a bit of things were made darker because that was the style of things. In general, things should not be added for the sake of being added regardless of themes already present in the production. It just leads to an incoherent mess at worst, and is a lot of work for something which doesn't yield much more improvement.