Mature look, gore and cities

Discussion in 'Other' started by Stoltverd, Aug 25, 2013.

?

Choose a suggestion

1. I vote YES for a more mature look!

51.2%
  2. I vote YES for some OPTIONAL gore!

64.0%
  3. I vote YES for cities!

72.1%
  1. Stoltverd

Stoltverd Big Damn Hero

So i saw the stream, the yogcast one.
    I wont discuss about the state of development but i will say something...
    In its current state Starbound looks like a game an 8 years old kid would play, as yogcast made me see with "Mr. Happy"...
    Come on... I mean, if i got stranded in an alien planet i would feel afraid, i WANT to be afraid. And i can't be afraid if the "predators" have a happy fave, and fluffy arms...
    There are a loooot of cute, fluffy and kiddy monster parts, see whats wrong in that sentence? cute MONSTERS, kiddy and fluffy KILLING MACHINES. That doesn't quite fit...
    I understand that Chucklefish want's to get to younger audiences, but you have to be congruent! A game with machine guns, bombs, swords, partial cartoon nudity (when you die and get cloned) should not have SO MUCH FLUFFINESS!

I suggest to add more mature monster parts, and also some scary parts. To do a mature monster it doesn't need to have fangs and scream SATAN! CTHULHU FHTAGN! but they need to get rid of so many bouncy bellies, so many spiral antennae etc...

I would also like some gore... If i slash a monster i want it to bleed! I want to see at least a little splash of blood (not 3 red pixels flying), if i make it explode i expect to see some chunks of meat flying, if i shoot it i expect it to splash blood too. You think gore is bad! YOU ARE WRONG! But it is your opinion and you shouldn't be forced... Make it an OPTION. Many games have such an option, Brutal Legend for example have an option to turn gore off... I would like to see gore like in Terraria. Also make the corpses of the monsters stay for a while, at least 8-10 seconds.

Now... Cities... Our character is supposed to be part of a race, maybe even a galactic interplanetary empire. But you just find villages? I want to see Glitch castles with an army, a Floran tribe with a government and a Human planet city with skyscrapers. i want to feel part of a race, of an empire, and be able to explore the galaxy and occasionally find a planet populated by my race, or by another race, or why not? A planet where various races cooperate? But just a lousy village? OCCASIONALLY? Please not... Also cities would make a perfect place for some quests! For example, you arrive at the human empire capital, you go to the capitol and the galactic diplomacy minister asks you to deliver a peace treaty to a floran chieftain, fail and see war ravage two planets (quests with consequences would be so cool!), win and have peace! (and a little pixels hehehe)

Sorry if this sounds like ranting but i thought i would see a very different game in that stream...
    Whatever, please leave a comment and tell me what do you think? Don't forget to vote for whatever suggestion of this 3 you liked.

2. SuggestionsBot

SuggestionsBot Autonomous Posting Device

Thanks for submitting a new suggestion!

Please remember to give your opinion on this suggestion by voting on our suggestions page.

3. Yeezus

Yeezus 2.7182818284590...

strongly agree, should be more gloomy and realistic.

4. Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

i have no idea what you where looking for. the screen shots have always been light-hearted and putting gore in just kind of separates things into an age group game, it'd be a bad move as a business in my opinion. the lore is dark, some stuff is dark but the game in a whole is made to be enjoyed by every age(even if it is just an option) so i can't agree on this.

the cities part could have been it's own thread by the way! that's something i would have upvoted but the "gore" and "mature" part forced me into a no,

TheKrister2, Solum, Hueman and 6 others like this.
  5. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

The style of the game isn't about being dark or gory. Having that would spoil the experience. Make a mod if you're that desperate to see some gore.

6. Autzome

triple post there bud.

Twig Arcane Empires likes this.
  7. Jonesy

I noticed. Internet connection was getting a bit dodgy for a sec, and the server timed out twice. But I've deleted the duplicate posts.

failcake and Twig Arcane Empires like this.
  8. Autzome

alright! yea, i get the same problems.

Jonesy likes this.
  9. Jonesy

I'm wondering if the forum server also plays a role. It seems to get a bit slow at times.

Twig Arcane Empires likes this.
  10. Autzome

i'm downloading something at 2.5MB a second so i figured it was just me. sometimes when i'm not doing anything that heavy it will still lag pretty bad for at least ten or twenty minutes.

Twig Arcane Empires and Jonesy like this.
  11. Stoltverd

Stoltverd Big Damn Hero

Guys you are wrong...
    Look at the weekly monster. i see some fangs there, some reptiles etc!
    Also it seems i have to rerererere-explain things around here (in general it seems i can't get people to understand me in this forum :p) when i say gore, i don't mean intestines flying, but i do mean gore like in terraria. in terraria you can behead a zombie, and it doesn't look super gory, it is just the right amount! And that doesn't make it a +18 game! It's just THE RIGHT AMOUNT of gore.
    And what do you say light hearted? Cannibal flowers, a planet earth destroyed by giant tentacles, horrors in the night (as stated by the description of some monsters), etc... That's hardly light hearted!

DaviDeil and Model QT-377665 like this.
  12. The Question

The Question Ketchup Robot

Because the 2D adventure/sandbox with evil penguin suicide bombers and other silly things DEFINITELY needs a mature look and gore.
    I like the cities though.

Solum, BrenSage, Jonesy and 5 others like this.
  13. Stoltverd

Stoltverd Big Damn Hero

Well... Lol it does! But just like in terraria. i am against flying intestines :p

Edit: Please remember to vote in the suggestions page!

14. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

You want maturity in a game that has evil penguins driving tanks and spaceships?

Solum, BrenSage, Trowzers and 6 others like this.
  15. Stoltverd

Stoltverd Big Damn Hero

Yes... At least the penguins don't smile at me, and they have rifles...
    Not like "Mr. Happy"

Look:
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/a-generated-monster-every-friday.8063/

Only a few monsters here really look like a happy fluffy animal. Look at #26, 37, 38, 40, 44, 49, 52, 51, 62... I can't see an enemy in them! Can't see a monster that is going to kill me!

Model QT-377665 likes this.
  16. Deathskull

Deathskull Phantasmal Quasar

If you want gore, get a mod to-

Oh wait, you could just leave the "no gore" option off instead.

Solum, Rawrzore, Ado and 3 others like this.
  17. Stoltverd

Stoltverd Big Damn Hero

That's exactly the idea! Not everyone likes gore.

18. 70calories

70calories Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This is not a horror game it's a adventure sandbox game I find the look of it to be just fine I don't see why every game now-a-days need to have excessive amounts of gore for it to be enjoyable the idea for the cities though is nice I like it

19. Lobo

Lobo Spaceman Spiff

Mmhmm, the looks of starbound so far looks perfect to me, and gore isn't needed, but having it as an option wouldn't hurt :D
    IMO, wich is a weird opinion based off of nothing, but still IMO, we live in a sick society, with sick people...
    some of them (maybe including myself...) have an urge to see blood, limbs, gore in general.
    having it in video games, instead of making people violent, would help satisfying this need, keeping some of the more radical sick people from doing stupid things to real people :lolwut:

(yeah, and +1 for cities)

syndoflame, BrenSage, Ado and 3 others like this.
  20. azarga

azarga Big Damn Hero

Voted for optional gore and cities. The looks are fine as they are. Also, in i49 letsplay we only saw low-lvl monsters which may consist of low-tier parts having less aggressive appearance. Higher-threat monsters can probably look more menacing taking bodyparts from a different pool. We have no details on that so we are free to speculate.

Model QT-377665 and Stoltverd like this.