Making procedural Monsters more interesting by way of No Man's Sky

Discussion in 'Other' started by Ludovic, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

This perhaps would be better in the suggestion forums but I was unsure which subforum to put it in. Mods, feel free to move it to the appropriate place ^^;

With

Or how Stephen Colbert travels to space and name everything he come across a variation of his name.
    Molebert
    -Molberts-

It would be very interestin to see a similar mechanic in Starbound, especially due to the room procedural generation holds in this game.

Giving players the ability to name monsters(but also perhaps plants and their likes) in a sort of "server/world database" which would save the name in a Galactic logbook would add a lot more to the immersion and provide explorer players with a tangible reward(perhaps being a new source of pixels!) for exploring and finding more creatures out there.

And with names, a "galactic logbook" entry telling which world they can be found on and perhaps a list of their abilities.... it would perhaps finally add a bit more to random monsters since they would be "nameless different-faced mooks" no more.

RenaldiForumStar likes this.
  2. So there are a few logistical problems with this idea, namely how would that function with modified clients. There are more than a few mods that introduce additions to the random generator. Additionally, what's going to stop someone from naming something (insert 5 graphic expletives), and if they do who's going to moderate that? So far this has only happened one time (I'm looking at you Derrick), and no one has been able to find an exact copy of him anywhere.

Ainzoal likes this.
  3. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Moved to suggestions.

4. BetaSpectre

BetaSpectre Phantasmal Quasar

Porbably best left to a mod to do this for us, after Rimworld...Starbound I mean becomes more stable like Minecraft