Modding Help Making modded graffiti objects?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Iaeyan Elyuex, May 16, 2017 at 10:16 PM.

1. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I want to make some custom graffiti objects for use on my server. They would basically be clones of the "get out while you still can" type of graffiti, and will cost one pixel to make, as they break once mined.

My question is: How involved is this? What is the extent to which I have to define objects, tiles covered by said objects, and functionality to use it in multiplayer? Is it as simple as copying files and changing a few words? Will I have to completely redesign the dimensions of space occupancy? All the mods I've made so far just add recipes for objects already in the game. I've never actually added new assets to the game before.

Please help with this. I want to tag an ascension tower with "Kluex is a rabbit".

2. bk3k

bk3k Spaceman Spiff

I don't think there is anything special about those objects. Change the object name, description, the png file. If you change dimensions of the png, you'd need to change the frames file for that image accordingly.

Just try it and see how it goes.

lazarus78 likes this.
  3. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've actually succeeded in adding basic objects to the game. Now, What would I need to do to give the graffiti its own tab? I'm guessing that's a lot more complex. It's fine if I can't do it easily or if there's heavy lua involved. It would just be convenient.

4. DraikNova

DraikNova Void-Bound Voyager

I'm pretty sure getting the tab to exist just involves editing the config for the relevant crafting table, found in the /interface/windowconfig folder of your unpacked assets.