Announcement Making mod installation easier

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by bartwe, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Force2Reckon

Force2Reckon Phantasmal Quasar

The changes to the biomes very likely broke Better Worlds, so you'll have to wait for an update on that.

2. DXLelouch

DXLelouch Void-Bound Voyager

yea i told shadow either his mod or radium(maybe both) are broke

3. Force2Reckon

What's the radium one do? PM me please, I'd rather not spam this thread with this stuff :)

4. snowboudmage

snowboudmage Void-Bound Voyager

So whats the folder structure supposed to be like?
    say I got a mod that adds/edits "\assets\recipes\weapons\other\customitemmod.recipe"
    What would the installed mod directory be?
    "mods\Mymod\mymod\assets\recipes\weapons\other\customitemmod.recipe"
    or
    "mods\Mymod\assets\recipes\weapons\other\customitemmod.recipe"
    or
    "mods\Mymod\recipes\weapons\other\customitemmod.recipe"

The first post was pretty clear on where the .modinfo file would be
    Where can i get an example mod?
    One fully converted to this new system

5. ***** FOR THOSE OF YOU MAKING A MOD IN THIS FORMAT *******

The dependencies tag goes off of the NAME filed specified, not the folder name!

for example, if my mod;s folder name is colonies, but the "name" tag is "Colonial Expansion" , I would use "dependencies": ["Colonial Expansion"] and NOT "colonies"

if you need any assistance, please come to the IRC channel ##starbound-modding. We are happy to help!

6. thatnerdykid

thatnerdykid Void-Bound Voyager

Can someone point me in the right direction of the file that has to do with how the game interacts with what im assuming is midi so i can work on plausible MML implementation?
    Or is it somthing in the .exe and i have to beg devs to make it a part of the game?

7. I knew this was gonna pop up too...

Loading files is still recursive. There is no required file structure that you need to follow.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
    snowboudmage likes this.
  8. demiant

demiant Astral Cartographer

How we will add new recipes with the new system, without changing player.config file?

9. DXLelouch

someone needs to make a guide either tonight or when i wake up
    i dont wanna waste 4 days figuring this shit out again

Thrakx, PXLForce and demiant like this.
  10. Hop on IRC. We are experimenting with this now. From the looks of it so far, does not seem to be implemented.

11. demiant

Better they implement this first...

12. DXLelouch

well i can confirm non planet based mods still work(havent checked race mods yet)
    but recipe mods are fine as well as tech mods

13. demiant

it means that we dont need to edit player.config now?

14. omegadrace

omegadrace Cosmic Narwhal

So, it's not possible to have multiple mods use player.config without them overriding one another?

15. Karull

Karull Big Damn Hero

I can confirm race mods work. Well atleast mine did, my DragonBall mod worked without any issues or having to change anything. Just added the .modinfo file and everything worked fine.

16. Force2Reckon

Would someone happen to know why my recipe creates a Perfectly generic item, worked just fine and then I changed the stats on it a bit, now even on a new character it creates a perfectly generic item...

17. Karull

Karull Big Damn Hero

if you ever get that, it means you messed up something. double triple check the code, seeing as you just changed it you probably forgot a comma, or forgot to remove one, or something like that.

edit: or maybe something changed in this update which broke the item, and youll have to figure out what it is. doubt it though.

Force2Reckon likes this.
  18. DXLelouch

yay all my mods still work except planet mods

19. Hoxalicious

Hoxalicious Industrial Terraformer

This is an interesting setup. I'll be waiting eagerly to see how everyone figures out the guts. The idea of not having to walk my server community through editing configs makes me very happy.

20. Force2Reckon

That's probably what it was, I was going back and noticed I missed some comma's. Course now when I install it the game get's an Access Error, even before I fixed the item it get's an access error... this is really weird.

Basically it worked perfectly fine, I uninstalled it ran the game to clean my save than reinstalled it and now I'm getting an Access error on load up :S