Announcement Making mod installation easier

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by bartwe, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Malicante

Malicante Phantasmal Quasar

Notepad ++ is great for editing files, but I would suggest Paint.net for graphical creation. Both are free, by the way.

2. Delta9Church

Delta9Church Subatomic Cosmonaut

I would really like to be able to declare things like when a recipe unlocks right in the *.recipe file. that would be ideal for me.

3. bartwe

bartwe Code Cowboy

yep

G4M5T3R and krail like this.
  4. bartwe

bartwe Code Cowboy

yes

5. Shadowclaimer

Shadowclaimer Void-Bound Voyager

Just want to say I love you Bartwe :love:

6. DXLelouch

DXLelouch Void-Bound Voyager

your my hero man that right there keeps constanly screwing me over when trying to use the mods folder until i say fuck it and just throw things into the assets folder
    edit:how soon is this very much needed improvement for modding going to be added?

7. Marrond

Marrond Space Hobo

How about replacing current in game values? For example let's say I don't like how default asset look for certain object or I don't like default recipe for a torch. Am I still possible to replace default recipes or assets with my own while using system you're going to introduce without modifying existing game files? How about quests, quest rewards, droptables?

8. Siveria

Siveria Big Damn Hero

Kinda like how Unreal tournament back in the day would auto upload maps and skins to clients/server if they didn't have it when they joined a multiplayer server?

9. Siveria

Siveria Big Damn Hero

You should be able to, like I made a lil mod where tools are one handed, and I just edited the twohanded : true to twohanded : false and saved the orignal files. Its nice using a pickaxe or drill in 1 hand and a flashlight or sword/weapon in the other.

10. Marrond

Marrond Space Hobo

But did you edit for example pickaxe/drill file that's in game already, changing it's values or did you create new file in mod folder that overwrites default vanilla values? What I ask is if I can make changes to items that are already in game via mod folder, rather than editing existing game files.

11. Cheet4h

Cheet4h Void-Bound Voyager

In my mod, Species Starter Furniture, I edited the player.config and every species' .species file and saved them in \mods\Species Starter Furniture\ using the bootstrapper method. The mod works just fine.

@bartwe: Since adding information to files is in, will removing be, too? For aforementioned mod, I removed the ability to craft the basic furniture for all species from the player.config. How would this work?

12. Artem

Artem Scruffy Nerf-Herder

@bartwe does it works both ways? Does server gets any client files? For example, some player wears custom armor (using his own mod), so server should get these files and share them with other clients, so everyone can see that player's armor (outfit). Would it work this way? As far as I remember it was in plans, I'd love to know if it still is, bartwe.

13. RacieB

RacieB Void-Bound Voyager

I'm curious how mods will interact with each other. Say I install two different species mods, will it get confused from two having several different player.config files to draw from and would I need to manually tweak ID numbers to not conflict as is currently done? I mean everybody can't be "index" : 6 right :V? Or, what if both of the species mods add new NPC dialogue to villager.npctype, will the dialogue for both appear ingame?

14. DXLelouch

be nice if i could stop having to edit the config files every time i add a mod to bootstrap, cause its tedious

15. Reta The Wolf

Reta The Wolf Void-Bound Voyager

It might be possible that they change it so that mod .config files will assign values on load so that the line can be written as such
    "example from charcreation.config"
    Code:
    {
              "id" : a,
              "image" : "/interface/title/racefemale.png",
              "position" : [x, y]
    }
    where "a" would be the next race ID availible, and the "[x,y]" are for the image locations on the character creator... this would also rely on the order the mods are loaded... so that probably will be determined by dependencies first then mod name second.

16. RacieB

RacieB Void-Bound Voyager

That would be pretty nice, yeah. I'm working on a species mod right now that I'd like to be pretty thorough (adding dialogue and such and maybe npc houses etc) and I'd like it to be as easy for potential users to install as possible.

17. Rarity

Rarity Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm currently using race mods with alternative eye styles as a choice. One of the problems in this is that it makes using emoticons such as blinking impossible or so I've experienced. My boyfriend and I spent a great deal of time trying to make blinking animations, but because of the layer system they use, the eyes added as part of character customization were overtop of the emoticons, which meant that when the race did blink the eyes covered any animations. This is also true for animations with the mouth, etc..

Is there any chance we can make the emoticons the layer with the highest priority so we can add unique eye choices to the various races? Any eyes that are not part of the actual head frame are considered higher priority. I don't know if there's any files I can edit to give priority to the emoticons, but I'd sure love to know.

18. DXLelouch

any reason why my merged Radium+Better Worlds mod isnt working anymore
    care to tell me what these experimental biomes are before i go insane again

19. Kyrosiris

Kyrosiris Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Did you make a proper .modinfo file for it?

20. DXLelouch

whats a mod.info file
    its someone elses mods that i merged myself