Modding Help Make Weapon Tiered? [Dagger Mod] (Solved)

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by ImHereForTheMods, Feb 4, 2017.

1. ImHereForTheMods

ImHereForTheMods Cosmic Narwhal

Hey, it's me again. Yep.

I did a quick search of the forums and couldn't find much on this, so I'm just gonna ask here.

Summary: I'm making a series of (melee atm) racial weapons from pre-1.0 starting with avian daggers (Tiers 1-10)
    and I want to know how to make it so that you learn the recipe of the t2 version after crafting the t1 version, and so on.

The long version:

So, basically I'm wondering how to go about making a tiered dagger mod, that once you craft the T1 version, it unlocks the T2 version, and so on.

I think I know how it could work in theory, perhaps, have it learn the recipie for the next (T2) weapon, on pick-up of the T1 version, learn the T3 on pick-up of T2, and so on.

Though the question I have is how to do that?

Yeah.

So, if you know, let me know, because, I want to know, you know?

Thanks in advance.

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

You use "learnBlueprintsOnPickup". It is an array where you list the blueprints that should be learned on the first time you pick up one of those items.

ImHereForTheMods likes this.
  3. ImHereForTheMods

Thanks for the reply! Where would I implement this? in the player.config?
    Or...?

I'm a bit of a nooblet, so, yeah.

Thanks in advance!

4. lazarus78

In the weapon config itself. Just put it at the bottom. no real place it HAS to be.

5. ImHereForTheMods

Ehm, could you show me an example? I'm afraid I still do not understand.

So, there is this code : "learnBlueprintsOnPickup"
    but where do I put it, and what goes with it?

For instance, say I wanted to take item id = "aviantier1daggerbasic" and have it so when you pick it up, you learn how to make "aviantier2daggerbasic"

What would be the layout for that?

Thanks for the help so far!

6. ImHereForTheMods

Also, while we're on the subject, how do I make it specific to a race? The recipie? Do I just add the tag "avian" if I want it to be avian specific?

Like : "itemTags": ["weapon", "avian", "melee", "shortsword"], ???

7. lazarus78

That I do not know. I odn't think you can make THIS race specific. I do know races have their own config file, similar to the player.config, where you list out what things they know, but making learned blueprints specific to one race, that is not something I have messed with.

8. ImHereForTheMods

Hmm, aight, thanks anyway, but do you have an example for the other bit?

By that I mean ( take item id = "aviantier1daggerbasic" and have it so when you pick it up, you learn how to make "aviantier2daggerbasic")

That is, using the blueprint code you gave.

Thanks in advance.

9. ImHereForTheMods

Nvm, I got it, the layout anyway.
    "learnBlueprintsOnPickup" : [ "avesmingojuice", "avesmingoicecream" ]

thanks though!

lazarus78 likes this.
  10. Cyel

Cyel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

To make the first recipe specific to a race, you have to patch it into /species/avian.species instead of player.config, like

Code:
    [ { "op": "add", "path": "/defaultBlueprints/tier1/-", "value":"aviantier1daggerbasic" } ]
    But as said, if any other specie pick up that dagger after it has been crafted, they'll learn the recipe for the 2nd dagger.

You could probably work around this by using lua's player.giveBlueprint("aviantier2daggerbasic") depending on player.species()'s value. This script could probably be called from picking up the dagger, or you could create a specific item for it that's given when the player crafts the dagger, like how the ship licences work: they are "items" but you never end up with them in your inventory, because of "consumeOnPickup", they're just here to trigger the ship upgrade quest). Although I'm not sure you can craft two items from the same recipe?

Edit: the player table is only available "in a few contexts on the client such as scripted interface panes, quests, and player companions", so maybe you could instead use a quest to teach the recipe.

Edit: You can't craft two items from the same recipe.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  11. ImHereForTheMods

Thank you for the info! I will look into this, but, it sounds a little past my abilities at the moment.
    As far as it goes, I think you can have 1 recipie craft two items, sort of how you can make a recipie use two different items as input, in theory, haven't tried it yet.

Thanks again!