REQUEST Make Joja more compelling (long read)

Discussion in 'Mods' started by JustinJangles, Jan 5, 2017.

1. JustinJangles

JustinJangles Void-Bound Voyager

We all hate Joja, who would ever want to create content for Joja? Well I would, but I'm not talented and I'm lazy. I have an idea to make the Joja story line more compelling to the player.
    I like a game that makes the player weigh out their options a bit more. If I am choosing to do the right thing I want to feel like I'm giving something up for it, that there is some sort of sacrifice. As it stands now choosing to support the community center offers way more benefits than supporting Joja, making it a no-brainer. So... Heres what I'd do

For starters getting a Joja membership gives the player a 10g discount on all Joja items, making their prices beat Pierre's. Pierre's is now closed 3 days a week.

Then, investing in Joja will still fix the things around town but will also now unlock new shopping departments at Joja. You will unlock a fishing department, a hardware department, a hunting department, and expand the general goods department. The benefits and how it will effect the town would be many! So allow me to dive in to some things I've thought up:

Hardware department
    - Mining drills for fast efficient decimation of any rocks!
    - Chainsaws will chop up that lumber real quick
    - Drives Robin and her family out of town
    - Clint is open 1 day a week and only processes geodes, super depressing dialogue

The fishing department:
    - Freshwater and Saltwater aquariums that produce 1 random fish a day
    - Wide cast nets that work like traps but catch things in abundance.
    - Drives Willy out of town

Hunting Department
    - Slingshots? How about rifles! Blow away slimes like snot out your nose.
    - Swords? What are we in medieval times?
    - Bombs, now that's what I'm talking about. Controlled detonation tnt.
    - Adventurers guild closes down. Gil, unwilling to move from his rocking chair, remains but has no
    rewards for you (and is possibly dead, no ones checked on him in ages)

Expanded General goods department
    - All seeds available year round.
    - Why use a watering can when we have state of the art gas powered water canons!
    - Why hoe when you can use our motorized hand driven tiller?
    - Scythes are cool. We'll still sell scythes.
    - Drives Pierre and his family out of town. Traveling cart stops showing up.

Now you have all your super awesome cool stuff but as you walk through town to get to Joja to buy your seeds you'll walk past abandoned boarded up buildings, un-maintained flower gardens overgrown with weeds. Evelyn standing in the graveyard next to George's grave (who died of sadness). Talking to any towns people that have stuck around will have nothing but depressing dialogue. But at least you have a sick chainsaw, right?

This is a FANTASY, I know no one would actually put the effort in to doing something like this, it's too big to be a legitimate request. But it's these types of choices that I find satisfying in games; all the best stuff but feel terrible? Or feel the warm and fuzzies but have to settle for working a bit harder for things. Just wanted to get my thoughts out there on the forums, hope some people out there will at least enjoy the concept.

IronZelly likes this.
    • IronZelly

IronZelly Void-Bound Voyager

This would destroy me emotionally. I like it. :mwahaha:

• Auralen33

Auralen33 Space Spelunker

While these things would be useful in town, it wouldnt be fair for the player to drive people out of town... there are literally marraige candidates in the town and it would mess up the game quite a bit to drive these people out of town... not only that but in heart events sometimes other townspeople come into a single persons event(examples being heart events for clint, leah, george, marnie, lewis, and probably more). Also, the travelling cart sells items that can only be obtained from the cart so getting rid of it would just screw up the gaming experience quite a bit and yes im talking about coffee.

• squirmle_mama

squirmle_mama Intergalactic Tourist

I agree with auralen33 that I'm not wild about the idea of solitary country living...but as for the tech suggestions, freaking sweet.

• JustinJangles

That's the point, though. You're supposed to lose out on a bunch of stuff as a consequence for deciding to go the industrialized route. Trade offs. You're trading all that good storyline stuff for the crummy storyline/lack of storyline. It'd be silly to give you all the fun industrial stuff and also let you have all the nice storyline aspects, too. It doesn't screw up the gameplay experience it just gives you a new choice of which path to take and the path you choose has larger consequences.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
            • Baardvaark

Baardvaark Space Hobo

I dunno if the Joja Mart storyline ought to completely destroy the town, but certainly there should be noticeabley distraught characters. But there also should be advantages, things that even most characters like, such as infrastructure upgrades (beyond even what the community center offers). And I imagine Shane and Sam and Leah (she's at the register, right? characters might get raises and like you more for that.

But mostly I just want Joja Mart to sell genetically modified seeds that are more expensive but grow crops that produce greater quantities (perhaps slightly less likely to be high quality though). Unless something like that already exists? I assume not.

• JustinJangles

I really like that idea. And maybe not "destroy" the town, but there definitely has to be some sort of trade-off that makes the players choice to side with Joja carry some weight.