Mac OSX Wineskin Attempts?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Soshta, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Soshta

Soshta Intergalactic Tourist

Edit: Please see page 9+ for guides on how to get things up and running, thank you so much to those who worked so hard to get things running!

Anyone else trying to get SDV working on their Mac? It's been a heck of morning surfing and combing through the underpinnings of internet forums, unanswered question threads, and other game complication threads looking for answers.

Has anyone out there got this working without resorting to bootcamp and/or parallels? Thank you tremendously in advance!

Link to Reddit Thread I also started.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    • DukeOfRiven

DukeOfRiven Giant Laser Beams

I've yet to get it to run, though I've been trying all day too. The closest I came was the stand-alone exe, but I got that fun "No Graphics Drivers" bug and the game wouldn't launch.

I posed a similar question on WineHQ, but since no one has ever been helpful on wineHQ, I don't expect much from that quarter.

• Soshta

I just tried taking a "game" empty skin for Underrail from a forum that had a working wrapper with XNA40 and Net40 etc already installed and tried to use the Stardew installer in it which gave an error. So I dragged in the folder that Stardew installs when you give it a fresh wrapper but it still doesn't open. Still plugging away. Any other ideas using this kind of 'frankensteining'? Here's the thread

• DukeOfRiven

My latest attempt was a flop, thirteen hours in - I really am a WINE novice, and I really only know what to do what wikis tell me to do, with no understanding of the why. Code was never my strong-suit.

• Soshta

Same here. I actually found Mono and installed it. It was a .msi file. So I used that first in the blank wrapper, then installed and skipped the nxa4 install.

Now I get:

[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.TypeLoadException: A type load exception has occurred. at StardewValley.Program.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 "

As well as a lot of:

[559984.918] [dix] Could not init font path element /opt/X11/share/fonts/75dpi, removing from list!
            [559984.918] [dix] Could not init font path element /opt/X11/share/fonts/100dpi, removing from list!
            [559984.918] [dix] Could not init font path element /opt/X11/share/fonts/cyrillic, removing from list!
            [559984.918] [dix] Could not init font path element /opt/X11/share/fonts/misc, removing from list!
            [559984.918] [dix] Could not init font path element /opt/X11/share/fonts/OTF, removing from list!
            [559984.918] [dix] Could not init font path element /opt/X11/share/fonts/Speedo, removing from list!
            [559984.918] [dix] Could not init font path element /opt/X11/share/fonts/TTF, removing from list!
            [559984.918] [dix] Could not init font path element /opt/X11/share/fonts/Type1, removing from list!
            [559984.918] [dix] Could not init font path element /opt/X11/share/fonts/util, removing from list!

Tried some other things and now get:

err:module:import_dll Library mscoree.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\GOG Games\\Stardew Valley\\Stardew Valley.exe") not found
            err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\GOG Games\\Stardew Valley\\Stardew Valley.exe" failed, status c0000135

I am getting close to giving up.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
            • DukeOfRiven

There's a swarth of errors that look hauntingly familiar.

I've still got a 1982 Macintosh 128k in my basement - 512×342 resolution, 6 Mhgz effective CPU, 128 KBs of Ram, and no internal hard drive - 400 KB floppies, baby. Still runs like a dream. A very grey, beige-y sort of dream, to be fair, but still.

• Soshta

I fold. I've reached my limits. :/

• dreamseizer

dreamseizer Void-Bound Voyager

I've been trying using the .exe file that I got after purchasing the game on GOG. I created a new wrapper, tried to install the software in it, and then it failed when it was almost finished. The failure report doesn't seem to tell me much about why it failed, though. :(

EDIT: If it means anything, the failure report says "Invalid opcode" and "Out of Global Vars Range" but I'm still trying to figure out how to fix that.

• Soshta

Yeah, that's the same error we got trying to install it from scratch the first time. I feel you. Basically the last part of installation, the game tries to install a XNA 4.0 Framework like you're running windows. This is what causes the error, I think.

Actually, if you go into advanced and find the tools tab, you will see winetricks. In that area you can (what I think I understand is) spoof an installation of XNA, DirectX, even dotnet4.0 (frameworks for games to run in). The real ass kicker is that XNA 4.0 is bugged and will not install in the current or what seems to be previous version of wineskin. So that had me looking for other ways to find out how to push XNA 4.0 into the wineskin wrapper I made for Stardew.

So knowing that, I surfed around for other games that had similar requirements (mostly the XNA 4.0 requirement) and found one where someone made a wrapper that had all the background framework stuff installed, but didn't install the game yet (game called underrail). I downloaded it's wineskin wrapper and spent all day trying different ways of installing Stardew into it with absolutely no luck.

Then I found out that there was a bypass/crossover a while back called MONO that would put the right framework in the wrapper for you. So I dug around for that and found a .msi file of it. If you look at the advanced part of your wineskin, you'll see below the file extension that it has a little check box for .msi and .bat files. It wouldn't install no matter what I tried.

As I ran the tester mode for all of these, it seemed, it would spit out various errors or fatal errors. Some were missing front, in which it suggested free type. I found a thread deep in searching google that said to use the unroot option in the display settings, but that also didn't work.

I started to feel like there were too many moving parts for me to wrap my head around this with my inexperience. Hopefully someone out there more knowable will save the day. I am spent.

• MonokelPinguin

MonokelPinguin Space Spelunker

I actually had the same error on linux, I just clicked ok or something and launched the game afterwards. Seems to run fine so far.

• dreamseizer

dreamseizer Void-Bound Voyager

I'm guessing it works completely different for Linux, because when I pressed OK and tried to launch the game it crashed immediately and would not launch. :( From the looks of it, nobody else is having any luck and it has to do with having an Integrated Graphics Card and something about how XNA works. It seems our best bet currently is an actual Mac release of the game, which I really hope CA does now that the game has proven to be in high demand!

• MonokelPinguin

Hm, I also had a crash now, when I wanted to start the game a second time. I got this output on the console, where I launched the game:
                          Code:
                          fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0 stub
                          fixme:process:SetProcessDEPPolicy (1): stub
                          fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0 stub
                          fixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"clr_optimization_v4.0.30319_32" failed to start: 1053
                          fixme:thread:SetThreadStackGuarantee (0x32fbe4): stub
                          fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game"
                          fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Microsoft.Xna.Framework"
                          fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"xTile"
                          fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Xact"
                          fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System"
                          fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Core"
                          fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Xml"
                          fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics"
                          fixme:nls:GetUserPreferredUILanguages stub: 0 0x32cfe4 (nil) 0x32cfe0
                          fixme:thread:GetThreadPreferredUILanguages 0, 0x32cfe4, (nil) 0x32cfe0
                          fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input.Touch"
                          fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Drawing"
                          fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Windows.Forms"
                          fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Accessibility"
                          fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32cbb4,0x00000000), stub!
                          fixme:d3d9:D3DPERF_SetOptions (0x2) : stub
                          fixme:advapi:RegisterTraceGuidsW (0xb70dba, (nil), {8e9f5090-2d75-4d03-8a81-e5afbf85daf1}, 1, 0x32da0c, (null), (null), 0xed732c): stub
                          fixme:advapi:RegisterTraceGuidsW   register trace class {8e9f5090-2d75-4d03-8a81-e5afbf85daf1}
                          fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"mscorlib.resources"
                          fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"mscorlib.resources"

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'Z:\home\nicolas\Content\XACT\FarmerSounds.xgs'.
                             at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
                             at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath)
                             at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
                             at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Audio.AudioEngine..ctor(String settingsFile, TimeSpan lookAheadTime, String rendererId)
                             at StardewValley.Game1.Initialize() in C:\Users\Barone_\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\Farmer\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 441
                             at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
                             at StardewValley.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\Users\Barone_\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\Farmer\Farmer\Farmer\Program.cs:line 31

This error message was however pretty clear. As a guess, why it can't find those files, I changed directory into the game directory. Then executed again with
                          Code:
                          wine Stardew\ Valley.exe
                          and it ran without problems. Maybe that's worth a shot?

• Viomi

Viomi Void-Bound Voyager

Well here's one of those issues I can solve:

err:module:import_dll Library mscoree.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\GOG Games\\Stardew Valley\\Stardew Valley.exe") not found

This means you need the mscoree package. I don't know how to get libraries on mac osx or what, but this should be fixable by getting the mscoree package.

• Soshta

Okay so here is what I get with a fresh wrapper and install of the game now:

And

• MonokelPinguin

Which versions of dotnet and xna did you install?

• Soshta

No dot net because winetricks says it doesn't work with wineskin? Try to run the dotnet4.0 winetricks and it errors out. The xna that came with the Gog install is in the c directory, I ran it using the advanced tab and pointing the directory to it to run it properly since the original install had it error. The folder says 4.0.

The xna40 option in winetricks also says it isn't working with wineskin but I also ran it before and it did error. I just don't get why they put those options in winetricks if they don't even work or install....

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
                                  • MonokelPinguin

I had to install xna40 twice, because the first time it aborted. You could try that.
                                    I'm not really familiar with wineskin, as I use plain old wine compiled from source, but the TypeLoadException hints, that XNA isn't installed correctly. Also, does it use a 32bit wineprefix? As the game is 32bit, I would think, it requires that. You could also try installing xna31 first, then try to install xna40.

• DukeOfRiven

You running Linux or Mac?

• MonokelPinguin

Linux, but the installation of xna should work the same on every OS. Issues at runtime should be more dependent on the OS.

• Soshta

Wineskin for mac is an actual app that seems completely self contained (yes latest version and version previous, I've tried both). So in the GUI, winetricks are a button in the advanced tab. There are lists of fonts, dlls, preloaded game settings, and apps that you check a box and hit run. In that list of dlls are xna40 and net40, direct x, etc. The baffling thing is that both net40 and xna40, when you select their check box and hit run, start their installation but have a line in the script at the top/beginning that explicitly states "xna40 doesn't work with wine at this time" or something similar. So it still had an expanding script you can see 'installing' line by line but when it gets to the end of it where you would normally see a line of confirmation saying 'successfully installed, click close'.... it says failed to install and the folders for xna40 or net40 are not in the drive_c folders.

So instead, when you set your initial install .exe on the mac version, it will try to install stardew valley first, but in the last 5% xna40 pops up and asks to be installed. I just let it do it's thing, but it pops up with a number error and something about open vars values. BUT the xna40 folder appears in the drive_c folder with an exe. I've tried changing the .exe in advanced at this point to run that .exe. which it works. Wineskin then prompts that there are new exe's found and to point to one with and oops message that states something 'might' have gone wrong with installation'. But like I said before, the xna40 folder is actually in the c directory. It doesn't matter anyway though.

I've also used the prefix for 32bit in the code text field to no avail. Also, you can go into the advanced tab and click 'winecfg' and up pops up something similar to a windows properties dialog box. It lets you install things like libraries (ex.mscoree.dll) you can set them to native, or something else, but neither of those options worked out. Still coming up short. :whaaat: