1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Mac OS X 10.6.8 Startup Crash "Error: Failed to initialize graphics mode: GraphicsException"

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Reno, Dec 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reno

Reno Phantasmal Quasar

The other threads I've been mentioning this in have gotten cluttered, so I figured it was time to make this issue its own thread.

Here's my log in full:
    Code:
    Info: Preparing Star::Root...
    Info: Creating default Star::Configuration
    Info: Done preparing Star::Root.
    Info: Client version 'Beta v. Perturbed Koala' '615' '418'
    Info: Starting from the title screen
    Info: Initialized SDL
    Info: Initialized SDL Video
    Info: Initialized SDL Joystick
    Info: Initialized SDL Sound
    Info: Opened default audio device with 44khz / 16 bit stereo audio, 2048 sample size buffer
    Info: Creating player storage directory
    Info: Initializing SDL Window
    Info: Created initial window 1920x1080
    Warn: Perf: ClientApplication::renderInit millis: 1565
    Error: Failed to initialize graphics mode: GraphicsException:
      004D3816 (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/graphics/StarRenderer_direct3d.cpp:493)
      004D48DE (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/graphics/StarRenderer_direct3d.cpp:226)
      ... (2)
      00403756 (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/client/StarClientApplication.cpp:160)
      004089EC (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/application/StarApplicationBase.cpp:780)
      00408D32 (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/application/StarApplicationBase.cpp:653)
      0040990E (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/application/StarApplicationBase.cpp:135)
      0040779F (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/client/main.cpp:49)

Error: Setting fallback mode.
    Info: Initializing SDL Window
    Info: Created initial window 640x360
    Info: Shutting down Star::Root

This part is what interests me:
    Code:
    Error: Failed to initialize graphics mode: GraphicsException:
      004D3816 (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/graphics/StarRenderer_direct3d.cpp:493)
      004D48DE (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/graphics/StarRenderer_direct3d.cpp:226)
    It seems to imply that something is going awry with some kind of Direct3D renderer. I'm not sure if this is something fixable on my end or not?

Running an Intel Mac on OS X 10.6.8 with an NVidia GeForce GT 330M graphics card, if that helps any.

Posting to see if anyone else is having the same, specific issue. Check your log at ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound to find out, if your game has managed to generate one. [Took mine a few tries!]

2. swiftlovebird

swiftlovebird Pangalactic Porcupine

Hey there Reno. I see you're but a dirty peasant Mac heathen ...I kid:sarcasm:

Sorry to see you're having a similar issue as everyone else. I had posted a quick guide here but seeing as you're on a different operating system (one of which I don't know hardly anything about) I can't speak for how well my advice will work. However seeing as Direct3D is the same almost all around, the issue's fix should be similar as well. Are you playing from Steam?

3. Reno

Reno Phantasmal Quasar

Watch your tongue or I'll...I'll...Uh...Photoshop you or something I'unno. BE WARY. :V

This certainly seems to be similar to the problem I'm having. I'm going to try CCleaner and see if that helps. I'm the Administrator by default on this computer so I'm not sure if anything needs to be done about that.

Be back when CCleaner's done! Thank you!

Oh! And yes, I'm running directly from Steam!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  4. swiftlovebird

Sounds great! Don't forget to do a nice healthy restart!

5. Reno

Reno Phantasmal Quasar

No dice! Still crashing and the log reads the same.
    Althouuuugh I did find out that I had 20k+ files in my Trash that I hadn't cleaned out.
    .......oops?

6. swiftlovebird

Remember that I'm not sure how Macs work, so stick with me on this one. Try a few things for me if you will:
    1. Go to the program folder for Starbound
    2. Look for your Starbound executable (I don't know what the Mac equivalent would be)
    3. Tell me if you see something call starbound_opengl
    4. Delete your 20k+ trash bin :proper:

7. Reno

Reno Phantasmal Quasar

CCleaner took care of the trash bin, haha. How embarrassing! :facepalm:

Unfortunately, the Mac client is built differently. I only have one .app--the Mac equal to an .exe, really--to choose from.

8. swiftlovebird

Okay what folders do you have and what is named "starbound" in your folders besides for your main .app?

9. Reno

Reno Phantasmal Quasar

I grew up with Windows so I can tell you right off the bat that nothing on Mac really matches up with how Windows handles games and the like.

This is what I have at ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound
    [​IMG]

I can do this
    [​IMG]

But that leads to this
    [​IMG]

Which is full of already-compiled whatsits that bare no resemblance, even in passing, to Windows stuff.
    And although I've been using this OS for over half a decade now, there's still a lot I don't get so we may both be stuck at an impasse. |l'orz

Thank you for all your help thus far, though!

10. swiftlovebird

Alright there's 2 more things we can attempt. We can try turning the threading optimization off as well as turning off Steam's in-game community option (which has been giving some errors to people).

Do you have an nVidia control panel on your Mac?

11. Reno

Reno Phantasmal Quasar

I don't believe I have an NVidia control panel, no. A quick Google reveals that it was removed around 10.6 or something?? How strange. It'd be really useful if I had one, I bet. Seems like a lot of folks on all OS are having problems with nVidia stuff.

Turned in-game community off and it did nothing.

Tiy's apparently uploading tonight's patch as we speak. Fingers crossed!

12. swiftlovebird

Yes fingers crossed indeed!! I have a few more suggestions but lets wait until this patch arrives as it may solve all our problems. I am going to bed for the night. Reno, I do hope your issue is fixed tonight and if it's not, I will be sure to contact you and we'll work on it until it's golden :up: Have a good night!

13. Reno

Reno Phantasmal Quasar

Thank you so much, Swift! Rest well!

EDiT: Tonight's update doesn't seem to have addressed the issue. Darn!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  14. Reno

Reno Phantasmal Quasar

Surely I can't be the only one getting this error on Mac? :cautious:

15. Dend

Dend Space Hobo

Sys reqs list 10.8.0 or newer for OSX. I can't get it started on 10.7.5 either.

16. Reno

Reno Phantasmal Quasar

I read that was only temporary since the game isn't optimized fully yet, though?
    It'd be a bummer if that's going to be the real req, since there was no way to find out system requirement before preordering, haha...Thankfully 10.9 is free now but I'm stubborn and don't want to spend a day upgrading if I don't have to. Seems 10.9 users are having their own problems as well, anyways.

Patience is probably the best option at this point. I'm just trying to find the cause of the issue in the meantime, I guess.

17. swiftlovebird

Hey Reno. So let's pick up from where we left off! So the update didn't fix your issue and that's unfortunate :(

After doing a little bit of research on Macs on their API libraries, I learned that DirectX is proprietary for Windows systems; they never made the library available for use on Apple systems. Your natural options on a Mac are Direct3D (sort of like DirectX, kind of complicated) and openGL. Again: I am poo poo when it comes to Macs. Is there any way you can update your graphical drivers?

18. Reno

Reno Phantasmal Quasar

Hey, welcome back! I unfortunately just got called into work last minute--uuuugh retaaaail--but I can totally update my system when I get home! The Mac .app runs on Direct3D by default, so I work on that first thing when I get back tonight. :D

19. Reno

Reno Phantasmal Quasar

Gunna try the Direct3D drivers when I get home in two hours but if that doesn't work I think I will throw in the towel for now. The next patch is still focusing on the WinXP issues so at this point I think it's best I just wait patiently for the deva to acknowledge this issue and try fixing it.

Patience is key in an early beta like this. :T

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  20. swiftlovebird

Hey Reno. That sounds perfect. Let me know if they resolve anything. Otherwise, waiting is probably the best idea :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.