Luthien's Firefly Hollow Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LuthienNightwolf, Aug 29, 2016.

1. MoonlitBrenya

MoonlitBrenya Existential Complex

I'm following you now. Gonna watch you video her in a little bit. Been a while since I have read your thread here, getting caught up now. I want to do this, start a thread and tell my farmer's story as it develops. I love how you did the "favorites" and "best friend" card, so many awesome ideas are spinning now, and it's your fault, lol.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
      LuthienNightwolf likes this.
    • LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

Summer Year 1 Update!

House: I got rid of the chests and moved a few things around to make it feel more comfortable. The big plant shelf in the corner is actually the giant bear statue, I retextured it to make it fit my aesthetic. Because more plants is always better. ;D
      The wallpaper wasn't really my first choice, but Pierre never did sell anything I liked better, and once I was halfway through Summer I figured I might as well just leave it.
      Summer Year 1 House.png

Farm: Its starting to look a bit more defined now - I was able to fill in the walking paths and even go back in and switch out the cobblestone and light-colored wood for the new crystal path and dark wood from Eemie's path mod. Its a new color scheme and it actually matches the goats I'll eventually be getting. :D I'm still just keeping a lot of trees around, mostly picking up any seeds that fall now and at the end of Fall I'll chop most of them down for wood. I had a well dug and a shed built for my artisan stuff, since I'm beginning to accumulate a bit of it now. Fixed up the garden to make it look more organized, I'll use the same plan for my Fall crops as well. My apple and pomegranate trees are fully grown too!
      Summer Year 1 Farm.png

Junebug is excited for pomegranates I guess. lol
      Junebugs Pomegranate Dance.png

Garden: I kept a screenshot of my garden after all the seeds had just been planted, and made another one for when everything was fully grown (compiled from several screenshots because they of course don't all ripen at the same time). I just thought it was a cute idea. n_n Quite early into the season some lightning took out one of my melons - when there were plenty of rods up, and of course it went for the most valuable crop!) - so I planted a coffee bean that I got in the mines in it's place.
      Summer Garden.png

I've reached level 80 in the mines, hit level 10 on Fishing, and got to 6 hearts with Seb. Making fast progress but at a much more relaxed pace than my last save, since I'm not trying to complete the greenhouse by the first winter. Just for fun, I went ahead and recorded my first day of Fall for you guys, if you want to watch. There's no voice, so feel free to play whatever music you like or just listen to the game's soundtrack.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/132489774

I derped quite a bit during this session: First I forgot to switch out the seasonal buildings mod so my house and stuff still look like summer. >.< I also forgot that I can't grow artichokes in year 1 so you'll see me have to rethink my garden plan a bit. I went to turn in an apple for the Fodder bundle and realized I needed 3, not 1... BUT HEY, I did finally buy the wallpaper and flooring catalog. lol

Also, I got Maru's 2-heart scene, completed the Boiler Room (I've purposely been holding off turning in that last gold bar just so I could record it when they all popped out), and did a bit of foraging (though I really need to find a plum so I can get some forage seeds).

Hope you guys enjoy the update, see you again soon!

• MoonlitBrenya

MoonlitBrenya Existential Complex

Very nice! I love how the garden looks. And your path is awesome, makes me look at my farm and wonder what I'm thinking lol. I don't really have any idea yet what I'm going to do, layout wise, one reason I am holding off on getting the barn started, going to see what winter hows me, when I can kinda see better the area I have to work with.

• sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

I've loved seeing this thread, you are so creative when it comes to designing your farms! And I love all the mods you chose, it really adds to the atmosphere of the game.

Thanks for this, you inspire other forum members like me to make aesthetically pleasing farms!

And if you drew your profile picture, you're a very talent artist as well.

Corraidhín and LuthienNightwolf like this.
          • LuthienNightwolf

Thank you so much, I did! ^_^

MrToni300 and sunlite like this.
            • LuthienNightwolf

Fall Year 1 Update!

House: Thanks to my new furniture set I was actually able to decorate my house for Fall quite nicely this time around. :) I swapped out most of the greenery for Autumn plantlife - some marigolds and mushrooms, and the sunflowers from the Stardew Valley Fair. I displayed a pumpkin on the table next to the fireplace until I ran the maze and got the golden pumpkin, and I also found my first prismatic shard, which I'm holding onto until I unlock the desert. (I actually have the ability to do this now, but I was waiting until I reached the bottom of the mines before I did it so I could reward myself with the Galaxy sword. Turns out pacing myself with the mines worked out really nice, I had plenty of time to get the ore and the money needed to do tool upgrades before I hit the next section of the mines.)
              Fall Year 1 House.png

Revised Farm Layout: I started looking over my farm plan and realized for a goat farm, there was very little space actually devoted to the goats. :C So I pulled up the planner and made some revisions, mostly in the bottom left corner. I will have my gardens down there and four junimo huts, but I removed the ones along the bottom right in order to bring the goat pasture down a bit. I also relocated the coop and stable. I'm already rethinking the stable's location though as I found out it kind of looks like a gazebo with the mod I'm using, and I want to try and do something more decorative with it in the pasture.
              Farm Plan Revised.png

Farm: If this was real life, my farm would be quite flooded. I had no less than 8 days of rain in the last week and a half of Fall, and at least 4 of those were back-to-back. Aside from the remodel, I also finished purchasing all the trees for my little orchard and relocated the well to it's new position in the southwest corner. I have kept the majority of the trees around, walking the farm each morning and picking up any seeds they drop so that I have a good collection of them by the time winter rolls around. The trees will be chopped over the winter to be used for some new buildings and the seeds will eventually be spread across the town. (I'm planning to do something like what my mom @OkSunshine62 did where the whole town is covered in trees and grass and walking paths). I was able to add a little flower bed in front of my house which looks totally cute, and I fenced in the orchard and a few other areas to prepare for animals that I'll be getting in the Spring. Also, my lightning rods are actually nicely hidden behind some trees that are behind my house. I'm currently keeping 20 kegs and 20 preserves jars in the shed.
              Fall Year 1 Farm.png

On a side note, I feel like this map I'm using must be a bit narrower than the forest map - I'm only having to grab 6 screenshots instead of 9. Not complaining though, it makes the process of stitching them all together much faster. lol

Also, I recorded the first day of winter, it's here if you want to take a look. I removed the garden area, a few trees, and turned in the last items for the winter forage bundle in exchange for some winter forage seeds. This also unlocked the quarry for me, I made sure to catch the Junimo doing their adorable repair dance. n_n

Video here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/134110035

Heading into winter, my main goals are to get a silo, coop and barn built, and the barn at least upgraded to level 2. I'd also like to get the slime hutch (artisan building, in my case) and save up enough for a house upgrade and the furniture catalog, which will be purchased in spring. I have Seb at 8 hearts but again, waiting until spring to give him the bouquet. Linus is at 10 hearts and Robin isn't far behind. I will be unlocking the desert and getting the Galaxy sword, and probably catching a Sandfish too, which will complete the fishtank bundles.

MrToni300, Honeywell, sunlite and 2 others like this.
              • Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Oh your place looks absolutely gorgeous in winter! the video was a wonderful addition to your update <3 interesting how the place looks with so much space, I keep so many trees I dont think I can see a single patch of snow, the only exceptions being my farming plot (a small one, lol)

ahhh...!! urge to plant so many trees in your farm!!

• LuthienNightwolf

Give it time, I'll have those spaces filled in. lol The big area on the right is for the goats though, I'll have a few trees in there but I want to make sure they have enough grazing area. :3

Corraidhín likes this.
                  • Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

oh that looks like a great spot indeed! hmm goat cheese <3

• LuthienNightwolf

Winter Wrap-up Winter Wrap-up *sings* ....Oh,sorry, wrong fandom. lol

Finally made it through Winter, so here's what I've got for you this week:

House: I waited all season for Robin to sell a Winterstar Tree, but she was at my farm building things half the time and the other half, no dice. So I had to make due with the little potted evergreens and some holly. Next year, the halls will be properly decked!
                      Winter Year 1 House.png

Farm: Funny story about the farm this time. So remember how last season I changed a bunch of the layout? Well, I went to build my brewery (modded slime hutch) and found out I couldn't place it where I'd had it on the planner, due to like maybe four tiles not allowing any building. UGHHHHH. So I had to rearrange AGAIN to try and adjust for the new placement. I moved stuff around a lot. I ended up just spending two whole game days moving things, changing paths, breaking and replacing fences etc. until I finally got it looking like something I could live with. Let this be a cautionary tale to using modded maps. The Stardew Planner is a wonderful tool BUT it doesn't always tell you when you won't be able to put a building somewhere. I've learned that the hard way twice now. >.<
                      So anyway, after a lot of rearranging, this is what the farm looks like now and hopefully how it'll stay the rest of the game. I have foundations down where the other barns will go, and I think I'm going to put the stable in the little yard attached to the shed (at the bottom of the goat pasture). I still have spots set up for the Junimo Huts too, once I'm able to get them. All the spots where you see tree seeds are where I want trees, I've been carefully removing any seeds that I didn't want in the ground all season. I'm going to have maple trees with tappers sitting behind each of the beehives.

Winter Year 1 Farm.png

As far as general stats, I've maxed all my skills, hit the bottom of the mines, gone to the desert, and completed a few bundles. (I think the only ones left are the pantry and bulletin board.) Linus is at 10 hearts, Seb is at 8 (I'm planning to give him the bouquet soon, but I never start dating until year two so he can just crush on me a little bit longer). All my tools are fully upgraded to Iridium. I don't remember where I'm at earnings-wise, but it's well over 300,000 total and I think I've got about 215,000 in the bank right now.

I'll be starting to purchase animals on the 3rd - my plan is to get one cow, three goats, and probably one chicken and one duck. I need names for them, if anyone would like to throw out some suggestions. :)

I went ahead and made a recording of the first day of Spring. Its mostly me tidying up, planting my first crops, and doing a little bit of decorating (though not much since I'm waiting for my house upgrade so I can get the catalog. If you're interested in watching, you can find it here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/135676876
                      (As always, no mic/voice...I'm not set up for that yet.)

MoonlitBrenya, sunlite, Jerev and 3 others like this.
                      • Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

"Fool you once shame on me, fool you twice shame on you!"

awe, sorry to hear something like that happened </3 I remember Lilliput had a similar issue in her most recent plans. Still, the place looks absolutely wonderful! that video from last time ... was it from before or after you realized the issues? I have a bad memory it seems... > w < anyways, very nice and symmetrical look! everything looks so tidy, and icey!

• LuthienNightwolf

Yeah the planner doesn't tell you when something can't be placed and I'm using a modded map (it's on the planner, but that brings me back to my first point). I hadn't built the brewery yet on the last video so at that point, I had no idea I was going to have problems.
                          It all worked out fine though, I think I might actually like this layout better. :3

Corraidhín and MrToni300 like this.
                          • Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

All the better! what a good result!

• LuthienNightwolf

Hello everyone, I'm back with a new update for Spring, Year 2.

It's been a pretty good season - I started things off with a house upgrade and purchasing the furniture catalog, which set me back a bit with money for a couple weeks but I've since caught back up. Here's what I did with my house:
                              Spring Year 2 House.png
                              This was my first opportunity to really get a good look at the furniture set I customized for myself a couple months ago. Honestly it was really hard deciding what I should use and what could probably wait for another time, because there are so many really nice pieces in this set. I tried to think what would be practical for my character, living by herself - she has her art desk and a corner of the room to use as an art studio, of course. A couch wasn't really necessary for just her, so I opted to use an armchair instead. I dug out as many plants as I could find and spread them all over, and also brought out one of the three terrarium designs I made to display in the living room. Terrariums are something I've been fascinated with lately so I think it's cool to have them on my game too. n_n

The farm is alive and well with lots of greenery and...goats! Take a look:
                              Spring Year 2 Farm.png It's like life just exploded - there's grass and trees all over the place, the pasture is full of happy animals and my gardens were busy producing crops all through the season. I have already filled a deluxe barn with 10 goats, a cow and a pig, and I'm working on the second barn now. I have a medium-sized coop that probably will just stay this size, and it contains three chickens (one of which is a void) and a duck.

The animals are named as follows:
                              Cow - "April", after that now-famous giraffe (did you get to watch her give birth? I did!)
                              Pig - "Emmeline"
                              Goats - "Molly", "Luna", "Daisy", "Josephine", "Eugenie", "Voilet", "Agatha", "Marguerite", "Theodora", "Gwendoline", "Winifred", "Adelaide", "Francis", and "Ursula"
                              Chickens - "Henrietta", "ChickPea", "Esmeralda"
                              Duck - "Penelope"

I also purchased the stable and added a beautiful palomino horse to the farm, his name is Seamus!

I'm working on adding more barns and goats each week. My daily profits are definitely picking up now that I'm producing a decent amount of goat cheese.

Aside from the farm, I've also begun another project. You may have seen what my mom did over on the Show off your Farm thread, where she put pathways and trees and grass all over the town. (If not go look, its really cool!) I had actually mentioned to her a while back that I was wanting to do that on my last game, but I didn't have much time left on that playthrough and she beat me to it. lol So I'm going to give it a try on this one. So far I've only laid in pathways and planted trees in a few select places. Grass probably won't be added until next year, as right now I'm not sure I can afford to cover the whole map. Here's what I have so far though:

Railroad.png

Mountain.png

Beach.png

Other areas are planned, including the desert, the forest, the main town and the rest of the mountains (up by the Adventurer's Guild/Quarry) but I haven't got that far yet. At the quarry, I'm currently letting gem nodes spawn, and eventually I'll work my pathways around them so they are displayed nicely among the trees and grass.

Quarry.png

Heading into Summer I'm doing pretty good on money, having since recovered from that bank-draining purchase of the furniture catalog. I'm at least at a point now where I'm not worried about affording things when I need them. I have more barns to build and upgrade and more goats to buy, so that's what the majority of summer will be for me.

If you'd like to watch my first day of Summer, the video is here: www.twitch.tv/videos/137620374
                              (Note that Twitch only keeps videos up for two weeks, so if you're reading this in the distant future the video will probably be gone.)

As always, thanks for being interested in my farm!

1ovaknd, MrToni300, sabrinatw and 4 others like this.
                              • LuthienNightwolf

I completely forgot to mention I unlocked the greenhouse! lol I'm currently growing some Starfruit, 5 Ancient fruits, and one of each fruit tree along with a bit of kale because my supply ran low. As of the beginning of Summer, the only thing I need to finish the Community Center is the red cabbage.

Also, I had meant to show you guys something else cool that I captured on my patio yesterday. Its farming related! (If bugs ick you out, kindly skip clicking on the picture.)
                                Ant farming aphids.jpg
                                This is a very tiny ant on my basil plant, and if you look right next to her you can see some aphids. Ants and aphids have a mutually beneficial relationship, in which the ants provide protection for the aphids, and in return, the aphids secrete a sweet substance called honeydew for the ants to drink. Basically, the aphids are like cows for the ants! I thought it was super cute when I noticed the little aphids in the picture (I actually didn't see them until after I took the photo, I was just trying to get a close-up of the ant). I know the aphids aren't really good news for the plant but I find insects delightful and I'm always interested to learn about their habits. n_n

Anyway, that ends our little nature lesson for today. lol

Corraidhín and MoonlitBrenya like this.
                                • Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Oh my god I remember that post Lilliput did about harvesting the quarry into a gem fieldX3 nice progress thus far!! also Goats! <3

Oh my, I wasnt aware of such a project, I should visit the Show Off your Farm thread more often! very interesting idea indeed! making the game look completely different... certainly more valley-like and rural! great work!

You could say Spring was the... bomb!

... I will be here all morning folks!

• LuthienNightwolf

I tried it back when I was on Firefly Hollow but since that playthrough got cut short I never got very far. So I thought before I covered it in pathways and foliage I'd see how many nodes it would spawn. It's been pretty generous so far. :3

Corraidhín likes this.
                                    • Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

would be great if we could pick up the nodes... rearrange them into a rainbow! heh

• LuthienNightwolf

I wish we could place them on tables like we do with the gems. Some of the nodes are just as pretty as what comes out of them.

• Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Oooh I like how you think! that would brighten the day of any rockgem collector! (specially those with mine themed farms)