1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Ludicriously Low FPS - No Pausing in Single Player

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by TheHolyInvader, Dec 4, 2013.

1. TheHolyInvader

TheHolyInvader Lucky Number 13

Hello, just staring in, download came through perfectly, withonly a slight problem in the launcher.

However, actually beginning to game was immediatly met with strain, as, even in the first ship, the game has terrible, terrible FPS issues, leaving the game in an unplayable state, running at less than 10 frames on a computer that can play a lot of heavy weight games with ease.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 OverClocked up to 3.2 GHz - Running Lastest Drivers
    8 Gigs of Ram - Not OverClocked
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 with 1Gig of Graphical Memory - Not Overclocked

As well, I immediatly noticed, pausing in single player does not actually pause, which is fine for multiplayer, but, in the learning experience, this seems kind of bad.

EDIT: NOTED ISSUE
    If the application crashes while running, the process will hook, causing it to force multiple, crashed instances to run, rather than terminating.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  2. Lateo

Lateo Big Damn Hero

Yeah, I'm having a similar lag issue on a computer that can handle high-stress games. Even fiddling with the resolution didn't help...I know the game isn't optimized yet but I think it's a problem with certain graphics cards.

3. C0mbatW0mble

C0mbatW0mble Tentacle Wrangler

Im getting some major chop as well, flick book framerate on a mid range pc. Currently unplayable for me. Seeing Lateo's post I thought id add im running an Nvidia card

4. Zerotharius

Zerotharius Orbital Explorer

Same issue here, checked the logs and saw some interesting warnings. http://pastebin.com/hbs5X6Qn
    A lot of "Warn: Perf: StarApplicationBase::run.innerLoop millis: 225".

5. arctheforge

arctheforge Aquatic Astronaut

Same issue here. Kind of a bummer and I just hope its not an issue on my end :(

6. Zerotharius

Zerotharius Orbital Explorer

Can someone else post their starbound.log? I want to see if there's anything in common so I can post it.

7. TheHolyInvader

I switched the zoom level to 4x, and the game runs slightly smoother, but, its mashed in on my character, so traversing is a chore.

8. TheHolyInvader

http://pastebin.com/CLC64Uj8 Here you go, I can't read this cannoli myself, so have at it

9. B0nedocta

B0nedocta Space Spelunker

Same issue here with 2 gig nvidia geforce GTX 660 Ti, 16 gigs Ram, and 3.6 AMD FX 8 core processor. I have a PC meter on and only my second core seems to be elevating, cores 1, 3-8 are all running at under 10% while core 2 is always running above 90% when playing =/

10. Kajir

Kajir Aquatic Astronaut

Same issue here. I found that you can't really change the windowed resolution, but you CAN lower the res in fullscreen mode, which seems to help a lot. The game just doesn't look nearly as pretty as I'd like it to as a result. :(

AMD Phenom II 955 X4 3.2 GHz quad core CPU, 4GB RAM, Geforce GTX 260 on this end. I know I need a RAM upgrade but this game doesn't seem to really use more than 1GB in the time I've been playing.

Mainly noticing the choppiness in areas with large entities like trees. On the ship or in clearings it runs much smoother.

11. C0mbatW0mble

C0mbatW0mble Tentacle Wrangler

Posted this in another thread but ill drop it here too, try turning off all compatibility options on your steam shortcut and run as admin. Worked for me

Svarr Chanston likes this.
  12. RoxasXaviar

RoxasXaviar Void-Bound Voyager

same issue here with 8gb dd3 ram a wapin 4gb amd something according to dxdiag quad core 1.6 but its overclocked to hell and i'm sitting here able to play crysis 3 high and everything cool like that but starbound has random spots of lag where i'll be walking around and suddenly its going at about 60fps and those said spots are always there. its kinda weird.

13. Kajir

Kajir Aquatic Astronaut

THIS.

Just tried it out with the following steps:

Browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win32\launcher
    Right click on launcher.exe, go to properties.
    Click Compatibility tab
    Uncheck everything here, and then place a check next to 'Run this program as an administrator'.
    Click okay, then run the game through Steam. You'll get the admin prompt, but it'll run MUCH smoother.

I'm now running in 2x zoom at 1920x1080 resolution with almost no framerate issues whatsoever.

14. Malatov

Malatov Master Chief

I dont have a compatibility tab...

Edit: Weird... I closed out properties and opened again and there it was... Ill see if it works.

VegeeMcSalad and michigo like this.
  15. Lateo

Lateo Big Damn Hero

From what I've seen this works, but I keep crashing while loading. Once I get in-game I'll see how it performs.

EDIT: It works perfectly! Thank you very much!

16. Jinjiro

Jinjiro Starship Captain

Testing this out, hopefully it'll work for me.

17. KMCGamer

KMCGamer Space Hobo

Tried this and it doesnt seem to make much of a difference.

18. Kajir

Kajir Aquatic Astronaut

You could try doing it for the game executable as well, perhaps.... try doing the same steps but for Browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win32\starbound.exe

I dunno if that will help though since the launcher is what runs that app, and if the launcher is running as admin then so should the game.

Edit: I asked another player to do this in a different thread and he said it did help quite a bit.

Svarr Chanston likes this.
  19. eelmcd

eelmcd Big Damn Hero

Unfortunately I'm having the same problem, and none of these solutions worked for me.

20. KMCGamer

KMCGamer Space Hobo

Haha yeah im simultaneously watching both threads. And I also tried giving admin rights to the starbound exe but that didnt work all that well. Thanks for your help though!