1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Lower than 60fps

Discussion in 'Support' started by infinifry, Feb 28, 2016.

1. infinifry

infinifry Intergalactic Tourist

When I start the game I'm reading in the low 40s. After it loads my save it starts at 60fps. Walking outside will bring it back down to the low 40s but sometimes it stays at 60. Once it's in the 40s it stays there unless I change from windowed mode to fullscreen or vice versa. Running to new section or entering/leaving a building usually brings it back to 40fps. Is there any way to keep my fps at 60? I have an i5 4690k and a GTX 970, playing the GOG version.

• KKGB

KKGB Space Penguin Leader

check ur nvidia settings to ensure the game is running off ur gtx 970 instead of any integrated gfx cards?

• infinifry

It worked for the most part. As soon as I entered the area below the farm it slowed back down. It's raining so I think that might have something to do with it.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
        • Jaris

Jaris Void-Bound Voyager

I'm experiencing the same issue. Running ATI 290 on Windows 10.

• Genostar10

Genostar10 Void-Bound Voyager

I'm 100% sure this is a bug, and I think it is related to AMD processors.

My rig:
            AMD FX-6300, not OC'ed
            GTX 960 4GB
            8GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600Mhz
            Windows 10 64-bit

My SO is running the same on the same rig but with a different motherboard and processor, and he is not experiencing this problem. He's using an i5-4460, which is substantially better. But the demands of this game are fully satisfied by both CPUs.

A little more details about this problem: The game will run the majority time, for me, at 44 FPS, but I've been experimenting to see if I could find some sort of workaround or cause. All I know is that if I switch between full-screen, borderless, and windowed, that the problem will temporarily go away. Just switching between display modes, that's it, and boom, it's 60 again. This is how I know I can run the game @ 60 FPS (not to mention I can run many newer, 3D titles @ max settings and maintain 60 FPS). But it's only temporary. Moving between areas or simply opening the menu can cause it to drop back to 44, however, these things aren't reliable triggers for the drop. Sometimes they will cause the drop. Sometimes they won't. Sometimes the game launches @ 60 FPS. Sometimes it starts @ 44 FPS. And strangely, there's no fluctuation. It's either consistently @ 44 or consistently @ 60.

I've tried messing with graphical settings on nVidia's end just to see if I could trigger a change, but to no avail, but I'm pretty sure it's a CPU issue so I didn't dabble too extensively in those options. I've rebooted the computer a few times while testing these changes. I have all the required runtime packages the game requires to run. The game only uses ~3.0% of my CPU in my resource monitor, and my computer is in no way under load while this game is running. There's little to no fluctuation in CPU usage while this game is being played.

Other instance of this problem being reported:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/413150/discussions/0/405692758715180461/
            (Here someone commented and said he simply needed to hold down Shift and that the game just has slow movement. I'm aware that game has movement that people find to be too slow, but the problem of which I'm speaking is an actual, measurable FPS issue that, if anything, makes the game even worse on top of an arguably slow default movement.)

I really want the problem fixed so I'm taking it upon myself to effectively communicate the issue. If you need anymore information about the problem that is within my power to give, don't hesitate to ask. I love the game, and I appreciate the work you have put into it. Hopefully I can hear from someone soon so people who are experiencing this problem and remaining silent about it can fully enjoy the game, myself included. Cheers.

• wingedwolf123

wingedwolf123 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Have also noticed movement throttles fps from time to time drops down and it's def noticeable after about 30 mins or so when the framerate goes to normal running on Fx 8350 8 core with gtx Titan z so it's def not our hardware

• Dunto

Dunto Guest

Creating more threads about the same issue only makes more work for those looking through the bugs as there's more threads to sort through. You're better off posting your experiences/specs/etc in the same thread as others having the same issue so that way it's 1) easier to sort through and view collected data and 2) it's easier to see if the problem is widespread vs isolated to only a few users (which is harder to tell if you're sifting through a ton of threads with only one post each).

I've merged your post into this thread.

• Genostar10

@Jaris, could you clarify your CPU for us?

• Jaris

Jaris Void-Bound Voyager

i5 4690k

• Genostar10

It's cool, but even though his was first, I think it would have grabbed more attention and delivered information faster with my lengthy post at the top of the thread. I imagine you have procedures for this sort of thing so I understand, though. I just didn't want for whoever looks at these posts to investigate problems to shrug this problem off as some chump with poor hardware. As long as it gets necessary attention, I don't care though. :^)

EDIT: Well with Jaris' processor being Intel (and a pretty good one at that), I guess that nulls and voids my argument about it being AMD. QQ

• Dunto

Dunto Guest

Trust me, an issue thread with a significantly higher number of replies than the rest is going to grab attention already.

For those having FPS issues, have you ensured that the game is using your dedicated card (if you have one) instead of integrated graphics? There's usually a way to tell your system to prefer the dedicated card (usually in your card vendor's control panel).

• Genostar10

Two of us that are reporting this problem are using FX processors, and they do not have integrated graphics so I don't think that has anything to do with it. The guy in the first post who reported a positive change was probably just satisfied with the game running temporarily @ 60 again and didn't bother to report it changing again. I feel pretty strongly about that.

This game, AFAIK, doesn't really need a good graphics card. A lot of 2D processing is done in the CPU anyways. I think people could easily get away with playing this game on integrated graphics as long as their CPU is good.

• wingedwolf123

wingedwolf123 Subatomic Cosmonaut

i really dont think it is a cpu issue either more or less just a mistake in optimization in the coding .. stardew should be playable on even very outdated pcs ... i m sure it ll get fixed in time and other than a mild irritation its not game breaking or anything also my mobo doesnt have an integrated chip and it is running thru my gtx titan z .. game is just freshly releashed and i m sure the dev made it on a specific pc and he optimized the coding to what he was running and keep in mind theres 1000s of cpus out there on the market and granted only a handful of them are typically used like the fx6300 series , 8320+ series and intel i3-i7 series .. granted in my game programming experience i assume pc games are same as android since theres 100s of well known brands with different screen size and chipsets you have to optimize for a wide range while some get excluded til further updates .. i say give it a couple weeks and we ll prolly start seeing patch downloads etc

• Genostar10

So I think I may have found the solution. I installed XNA from the redistributable folder and opted to repair my old XNA installation. So far so good. I'll keep you guys updated.

EDIT:

Okay so it 100% fixed it for me. I'd find it uncanny that if my solution didn't fix it for everyone else experiencing it but to all of you experiencing this problem, go into your redistributable folder in your directory and install the runtime packages. Steam typically pulls from this folder and installs these packages on your first launch of the game, but at times, these installations can be unsuccessful and the game will still launch anyways without installing them. I'm pretty sure this is what happened to me.
                              I don't have the GOG version, but I imagine the game was packaged with XNA and .NET too so check your game's directory and install the run-time packages included.
                              When you install these, if it says you already have the files, opt to repair them if the option is there. Check the game to ensure the problem still exists before posting afterward. Cheers and happy gaming. ♥

• Jaris

Jaris Void-Bound Voyager

Tried this and still getting low fps.

• Genostar10

Are you on the GOG version?

• Jaris

Jaris Void-Bound Voyager

Yes.

• infinifry

It was working alright after my first attempt at a fix, but it's now gone back to being slow fps. I've also tried the above posts solution with no resolve.

• sirbronson

sirbronson Space Hobo

Same issue, same CPU, same GPU as OP, also on GOG version.
                                        Updating redistributables did not help.

• RedDragonGecko

RedDragonGecko Void-Bound Voyager

Also experiencing fps slow downs.

i7 4790k @4ghz
                                          Gtx 970
                                          Windows 10
                                          32gigs ram

Gog Version

Is everyone having this issue on the gog version?