1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Low FPS

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by batur123, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Kulsius

Kulsius Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Even more, using -force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded as launch parameter doesn't even finish loading main window and closes almost instantly. (same thing happens with -force-opengl tho) Even it's supposed to be almost universal Windows launch parameter if game use DirectX/OpenGL said function.
    What's more interesting, game launches with Directx9 (which is known for terrible texture compression, idk if it applies here). At least when using wrapper. Still trying to find reliable way to test more of this.

2. Shakipu

Shakipu Space Hobo

Well, requirements states that Starbound does need a GPU. But one with 256MB of memory.
    Please provide informations about your system. OS ? Windows or Linux ? Which one ? Is it a desktop ? A laptop ? Is your computer happens to use what is called ATI Dynamic Switchable Graphics (switching between your graphic cards depending on your need) ?

Assuming you do have ATI Dynamic Switchable Graphics on a Windows laptop, you can force (and check if being forced) using the graphic card for Starbound. See :
    https://support.serato.com/hc/en-us...use-your-dedicated-GPU-on-a-Windows-computer-
    Starting from step 11, choose the starbound executable instead of the one on the site (it's for another software) and check that the graphics settings is set to "High performance".

Or something like that. Hope it helps.

ADDENDUM: it was my understanding that directx support was dropped in favor of opengl. Part of the reasons is that it was running better than directx (this point have been proved for more than 20 years, opengl had always been better than directx).

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  3. Kulsius

Probably only for storing all those graphic files for easier load.

That's what I assumed too. Yet, OpenGL is known to make some games run slower than Directx.
    As I remember, Windows had very bad OpenGL implementation before (maybe to force developers use Microsoft DirectX?) which is why games with DirectX were more popular.

Any way, this whole issue is weird and I want to find out what's wrong with all of this.

ErebusAmauro likes this.
  4. Kulsius

Pretty sure Catalyst isn't used in win10 or needs to be reinstalled. There must be a way of forcing certain GPU. I think you MIGHT need to download additional AMD software (Like nVidia have Control Center AND nVidia Experience) to access all possible settings.
    About Worms- yeah, for me they also run on integrated by default and it's annoying as every graphic driver update you have to set it again.

5. Kulsius

btw- if you trust random person over internet and have teamviewer, i could check if i can find that specific setting about forcing gpu run specific program on your laptop. Yet, it's only on last resort as i also don't like such idea myself.

6. Shakipu

Shakipu Space Hobo

That is exactly that. For a more thourough explanation : http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/01/Why-you-should-use-OpenGL-and-not-DirectX
    If some games run better in directX than in OpenGL, it's because they have been made with this specific purpose : work great with directx, bad support for opengl.

Wistherya : my advice would be to go on http://support.amd.com/en-us/download and follow the auto detect driver function to let him install the good, latest driver and probably any software around it (catalyst center etc). As I understand, ATI HD Radeon 5000 is a serie, so we don't know exactly your graphic card

Kulsius likes this.
  7. Shakipu

Shakipu Space Hobo

Trying to recenter the subject. Anfumi have an error :
    [Error] OpenGL errors this frame: GL_INVALID_VALUE
    GL_INVALID_VALUE seems to be an error value returned when a function gets an illegal value as parameter. As we saw earlier, "OpenGL errors this frame" is a string coded in the executable, probably as an error message for a function that would not return correctly. I don't have much more clue about this.

I don't have this error myself and don't have FPS issue. If people with FPS issues could check if they have this error while starting, that would help us clear if it's an issue associated or not (or even if it's really an issue).

Wistheriya : if you start starbound.exe from a terminal, you should be able to see in the log what graphic card is used. For this, you have to go in your steam folder -> C:\something\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win64 and Alt+righ click in it and select "Open a prompt here". Then by typing starbound.exe, the game should start and display the log in the terminal.

8. Shakipu

Shakipu Space Hobo

yes, the GPU used can be seen before Application Initialization, and after "Open default audio device"
    For example I have :

[Info] OpenGL version: '3.0 Mesa 12.0.1' vendor: 'Intel Open Source Technology Center' renderer: 'Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2) ' shader: '1.30'
    With my integrated graphic
    [Info] OpenGL version: '4.5.0 NVIDIA 367.35' vendor: 'NVIDIA Corporation' renderer: 'GeForce GTX 950M/PCIe/SSE2' shader: '4.50 NVIDIA'
    with my CG

The "OpenGL errors this frame" usually appear just after Application Initialization.

9. Shakipu

Shakipu Space Hobo

Forget about the "OpenGL errors this frames", I don't think it's relevant. Launching Starbound with my Nvidia with latest driver does raise this error, but the game runs smoothly, even in the Outpost and stuff.

10. Kulsius

That's... weird. For me, latest drivers had no impact on game performance at all. I might even say I lost some frames in titles like Dishonored after update, but that's irrelevant.
    Main problem with fps is still here. Wonder if by updating video drivers it somehow fixes all problems for all or just until something strikes again.

11. paillp

paillp Space Hobo

For me neither. I checked and I also encounter the error "OpenGL errors this frame", this is indeed irrelevant.
    I'll think about how I can collect more data.
    I currently am clean installing the game after deletion of all Starbound's files. I'll tell you how things go.

12. Kulsius

I will be resurrecting my old rig to do some testing on it meanwhile. Don't even remember if video card it have can even support OpenGL 2.1, as i'm sure only reason i dumped it was lack of Pixel Shader support.

13. Althalos

Althalos Void-Bound Voyager

I know it isn't easy I've coded before I know how difficult it can be to debug. All I'm asking for is some feedback so I can at least have some hope that my problem will be addressed in the future. If we don't complain about it they'll never know about it.

Kulsius likes this.
  14. Shakipu

Shakipu Space Hobo

Could it be something with the OpenGL shaders ?
    See the line :
    [Info] OpenGL version: '3.0 Mesa 12.0.1' vendor: 'Intel Open Source Technology Center' renderer: 'Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2) ' shader: '1.30'

For anyone seeking to help, can you please post the result of this line, which appear when launching Starbound from a terminal. Please also add if you have FPS issues or not.

15. paillp

paillp Space Hobo

I also have the following :
    [Info] OpenGL version: '4.5.0 NVIDIA 367.27' vendor: 'NVIDIA Corporation' renderer: 'GeForce GTX 870M/PCIe/SSE2' shader: '4.50 NVIDIA' --> Nvidia
    [Info] OpenGL version: '3.0 Mesa 12.0.1' vendor: 'Intel Open Source Technology Center' renderer: 'Mesa DRI Intel(R) Haswell Mobile ' shader: '1.30' --> Intel Graphics

I don't think this is related to Shaders since this parameters changes when you run the game with intergrated graphics or with the GPU. Well now I downgraded the Nvidia GPU drivers, and things seems to have gotten shooth again but still the problem persists with the CPU. I think the problem might be in the way drivers handle OpenGL.

16. Kulsius

Either drivers or game engine itself. If drivers, why do people from both nVdidia and AMD userbases encounter similar problems? And even more, different OS users?

I will put older linux mint on VM and will give it a shot (if i can remember how to actually do it xD)

17. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

I want too (was watching the topic the whole time >v< )
    [Info] OpenGL version: '4.5.0 NVIDIA 368.81' vendor: 'NVIDIA Corporation' renderer: 'GeForce GTX 750 Ti/PCIe/SSE2' shader: '4.50 NVIDIA'

More or less fluid gameplay at 52-60 fps, sometimes drops to 30-40 in crowded areas (the frameskips are a bit annoying though)
    The frameskips happen at least for me when some creatures are spawned or the background changes (i assume generally loading some things cause this). When i edit the client config to maxframeskips 1 i get some serious lags when background changes or some other things load. This also happens on my ship out of nowhere. Probably it's a loading issue from the assets and the loading code needs some optimization.

~ Iris ~

18. batur123

batur123 Space Hobo

2 fps on Ship and Tutorial Part. 30 Fps on planet. I cant play

19. Shakipu

Shakipu Space Hobo

Could you provide more information about your system (OS ? CPU ? Graphic card ? Memory ?) ?

20. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Here's a bit more detailed info:
    Video Card: GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB (asus overclocked) Core 1071MHz up to 1150MHz, Memory 2700MHz Driver 368.81, GPU usage is around 20%-30% in P0 state
    CPU: i7-3770 @ 3.40 GHz (4 physical cores, 8 logical), usage around 25%
    RAM: 16 GB RAM, usage around 1,2GB - 1,3GB
    HDD SB is running on: 3TB Seagate Barracuda SATA3 (ST3000DM001-1CH166) (Disk E/A usage around 6%, 28%-30% when generating new planet)

~ Iris ~