1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Lost my Starter world...

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by SanyaOtter, Dec 12, 2013.

1. SanyaOtter

SanyaOtter Big Damn Hero

So I jumped to a random system without setting my home system first. Now I tried following the dashed line on the star map but the sheer scale and size meant that after 45 minutes scrolling I was still no closer to getting back to the world I'd spent the last 15 hours working on.

Massive buildings, a tunnel that went all the way round the planet, all lost. :(

As a suggestion to the devs to help avoid such loss as this happening to me and others, could we perhaps have either a 'previous destinations' button on the star map or perhaps a zoom that goes out further so we can simply find the end of the dashed line and zoom back in straight onto the wanted world?

2. RitzCraka

RitzCraka Title Not Found

Im sure you might find it... Eventually......

That does suck thou to lose all that progress.

3. SanyaOtter

SanyaOtter Big Damn Hero

Yeah, I kept hoping the dashed line would end and I'd be home, but after nearly an hour, I couldn't really justify carrying on. :(

4. DirtyFool

DirtyFool Poptop Tamer

Previous destinations button would be great. I did this once and lost my metalworking station and a sweet little house I built. Then everything got wiped with a patch so I felt less bad.

5. Justanzo

Justanzo Cosmic Narwhal

If you go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound, you should see "starbound.log". You could probably use that to get the coordinates to your starter world.

Of course, previous destinations or a ship log would negate the need to do so. I'd be very okay with a "favorite planets" list.

Shiokuri and RitzCraka like this.
  6. Aphrodonis

Aphrodonis Sandwich Man

I know it's late now, but the next time you really want to save a planet that you've made tons of progress on, you should really use the "set as home" button.

I use it as a bookmark for my favorite planet. Only one can be saved at a time though :(

7. ghozzt

ghozzt Space Spelunker

LOL! I did the same thing. Thought I set it as a home world, but I guess I didnt. I followed that damn line for close to an hour with no luck. The only thing I really miss is my wheat. I dont have any seeds to start a new farm! Thankfully, all my important stuff was on my ship, but i had dug a helluva tunnel system too.

Cool thing though, I landed on a world that had a big temple right next to the spawn point. Cleared that baby out and made it my new home. I do wish there was a way to find your starter world for these kind of scenarios. Had I lost my world before the wipe, I would of been screwed. I had everything there and a huge mansion with multiple trophy rooms.

8. TearOfTheStar

TearOfTheStar Tentacle Wrangler

Pen and paper ftw. :)

Pigeon, Odat and Shiokuri like this.
  9. johnnyonoes

johnnyonoes Void-Bound Voyager

The set as home button could really use a confirmation. On more than one occasion I derped it and clicked set as home instead of go home.

ForceablePlace likes this.
  10. KaZe_DaRKWIND

KaZe_DaRKWIND Big Damn Hero

I agree with the idea of a previous destinations tab. But it should only be systems rather than planets so it goes back farther.

11. A3mercury

A3mercury Void-Bound Voyager

I did the exact same thing.. I left a metalwork station T.T

12. Spacerogue

Spacerogue Void-Bound Voyager

ugh, I know dat feel.

I thought I had saved all my files only to end up with my main char on a new starter planet without the needed blueprints to move to Beta/gamma (found those, but my planets have all been reset x-x )
    welp, so much for that idea.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  13. NeedsLoomis

NeedsLoomis Tentacle Wrangler

For future reference, you can right click on the map to zoom out and visit nearby stars, making the journey home easy, even without a home-planet set.. The find random button isn't really needed unless you want to really get away.

None of this would be much of an issue if the universe and its exploration was more unified.

14. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

Look at the bright side - it'll eventually be wiped anyway. :)

15. CrazyFruits

CrazyFruits Void-Bound Voyager

THIS. Open this file with notepad and you will find the start planet co-ords for a new character which is your start world.

Shiokuri likes this.
  16. xstationcubed

xstationcubed Void-Bound Voyager

Just lost my home planet to hitting the wrong button. For the love of God can we get a confirmation window before we change our home planet?

Spacerogue likes this.
  17. CrazyFruits

CrazyFruits Void-Bound Voyager

↑↑↑↑ You haven't lost it. ↑↑↑↑

18. budsygus

budsygus Pangalactic Porcupine

I did that once early on. After the wipe I only build on my ship. I can't think of a real reason to build on a planet, but I don't really get into the creative construction aspect of the game and I'm still early-game.

19. xstationcubed

xstationcubed Void-Bound Voyager

Yes I see that, and after much backtracking through planets, I have reclaimed it, but it doesn't make that any less a good idea to have. You shouldn't have to hunt through code just because your finger slipped.

20. ForceablePlace

ForceablePlace Phantasmal Quasar

There already wanting a "Ship Log" system, but Omni said for now, if you goto your Starbound directory, theres a "universe" file, witch holds all your planet data (Any planets you've visited) so look in there for your planet, open it in Notepad (Or any thing really) then press "Ctrl+F" and type in "alpha" (Or Beta, Gamma, etc Depending on what sector that planet your looking for is located in, if you dont know the sector name, the file itself is named "[sector] [random number] [Planet-Coords] [Planet-Coords] [RandomNumber] [Random Number].world") so just use what ever the file has for its name (Minus the coords and random numbers) and then, search for that sector in the world file, under it is the planets Biome, so if your Home Planet was a "Forest" and that file says "Forest" theres a good chance thats your planet file, and if so, just copy the coords from the file name, enter them into your Starmap (Make sure your on the right sector) then go see if thats your place, if not, keep checking your files for another Planet in [your sector] witch has [your biome] then copy its coords, and try again.

Hope i helped! And they REALLY should work on a Planet Log, or a warning box for "Are you sure you want to make this your new home planet?"

Spacerogue likes this.