Modding Help Looking for mentor to teach me modding

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Phyrex, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Phyrex

Phyrex Parsec Taste Tester

The title says it all. i have basic knowledge in simple modding that served me well in the past and ive familiarized myself with the starbound stuff.

Yet, my attempt at creating a single gun are failing miserably and i would very much appreciate it if a kind soul wouldnt mind teaching.

Im talking a few hours of in-depth help/lessons on steam/skype to help me grasp what few bits im missing to be able to mod some stuff in without too much trouble.

Help me, mod-sensei, youre my only hope.

p.s.: people can just PM me directly to get my contacts if you feel like jumping right into it without further a-due.
    and thanks a lot for whomever will rise to the challenge

2. Dilwoah

Dilwoah Void-Bound Voyager

3. Phyrex

sadly enough, i followed his tutorial to the letter, and it still didint fully worked at the end of the day. it made a gun i could craft and shoot, but no way to change its stats or even have them being displayed like normal guns :/
    i could really use the help from anyone, im really at the bottom of the ladder experience-wise.

edit : and yes, i checked other tutorial, i even ripped someone's gun-mod for its file to use for my own. didint worked. im beyond stumped

4. Dilwoah

Well, if you don't mind. Go ahead and post your gun on here and I'll try to point out any mistakes.

5. Phyrex

Well im more looking for someone to teach me, showing you here my one gun that isint working would only fix the problem of that gun, not the problem of anything else i might mod sadly.
    That and ive tried so many ways, i dont even have a proper code to show

6. Dilwoah

Alright. I'll pm you my skype details. I'm currently working on my own lil project right now. But I'll chat with ya about whatever questions you have.

7. xtrapsp

xtrapsp Tentacle Wrangler

Mind doing the same for me? :) I've already got a mod working just nice to get a modchat going

8. Dilwoah

Not at all, Just PM me your skype/steam info.

9. Djzonk

Djzonk Void-Bound Voyager

This mod chat is a good idea It would help a lot of other models in case of just asking quick questions. But a Inc or void like team speak would be better for this then Skype. I would join in but I'm at school
    sorry was typing on a phone

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  10. xtrapsp

xtrapsp Tentacle Wrangler

I can make a joinable group?

11. Sterolyze

Sterolyze Poptop Tamer

To be honest, it's actually not that hard.

The modding is used in the Lua language, which is basically just English, but more "specific".

If you know your way around English etc, it shouldn't be hard.

If you still have trouble, you can look at a few lines of the codes in assets folder and try figure out what all of it does. Pretty simple! ;)

12. Veav

Veav Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Man, that's like saying "if you know your way around checkers, you can play chess, if you still have trouble you can look at a few photographs of games in progress and figure out how they work from first principles". It's only like that for you (and others) because you've worked your way up the ladder of understanding what you're looking at. I realize you're offering moral support, but - and maybe this is just me - you're coming off as insulting anyone who can't look at a few lines of code and figure it out, and doesn't find it pretty simple. :/

13. Sterolyze

Sterolyze Poptop Tamer

Code:
    {
      "itemName" : "superbow", -- the name of the bow, note it ends with , telling the code that there's more to it.
      "inventoryIcon" : "superbowicon.png", -- the picture you see on items in your inventory.
      "dropCollision" : [-8.0, -3.0, 8.0, 3.0], -- the bullet drop
      "maxStack" : 1, -- how many can be stacked, e.g. 1000 wood can be stacked
      "rarity" : "Rare", -- the rarity of the object, i only know Legendary & Rare
      "description" : "A modified hunting bow, monsters killed with a bow drop tasty meat.", -- the description of the weapon when you hover over it
      "shortdescription" : "Modified Bow", -- the name of the weapon
      "image" : "superbowfull.png:<frame>", -- the sprites used when you charge the bow
      "imageFrameSelector" : "bowImageSelector", -- don't touch, but its the thing that handles everything for the charged bow sprites.
      "handPosition" : [0, -1], -- don't touch unless you make a completely different bow, moves where your bow is on your player's hand.
      "firePosition" : [20, 1.5], -- where the arrow comes out
      "level" : 5, -- what level the weapon is
      "fireTime" : 0, -- how long it takes before you can fire the bow again
      "twoHanded" : true, -- if the weapon is two handed, i might try false and see how the game handles it! :D

"fireOnRelease" : true, -- whether the gun fires when you release the left mouse button
      "walkWhileFiring" : false, -- checks whether you can walk or run normally while charging the bow, most bows have that set to true.

"projectileType" : "woodenarrow", -- the type of projectile the bow is firing, don't change.
      "powerProjectileType" : "chargedarrow", -- same as above, but for when it's supercharged
      "powerProjectileTime" : [0.9, 1.1], -- no idea, don't touch it.
      "projectile" : { -- a set of code
        "speed" : 500, -- how fast the arrow goes, i don't suggest 500.
        "speedCurve" : "drawTimeMultiplier", -- don't worry about this, hard to explain
        "power" : 50, -- the damage the arrow deals
        "powerCurve" : "drawTimeMultiplier", -- hard to explain
        "color" : [10, 255, 10] -- unsure what this actually does, but it's meant to set a color to something, probably the projectile.
      },

"muzzleEffect" : { -- don't touch
        "fireSound" : [ { "file" : "/sfx/gun/bow_loose.wav" } ] -- the sound used when the bow is fired
      }
    }

Here's a test of a modded bow I decided to make, with nice little hints for you ;)

14. Veav

Veav Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Now that's constructive! :)

15. Sterolyze

Sterolyze Poptop Tamer

Any helpful, though?

16. Veav

Veav Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I was being indignant on Phyrex's behalf - I'm not personally making a bow/gun. If I ever do, this is now going to be the first post I reference.

17. Djzonk

that's a good way to show how the config code works for bows/guns at least i dont know if it is the same for guns because i have not looked at the bow/gun config that much or at least read threw it.

18. Sterolyze

Sterolyze Poptop Tamer

What kind of mod exactly are you intending to make?

Bow and guns are very similar indeed.

19. Djzonk

but for Phyrex i could help u get the code fixed. me and my friend had the same problem when we made our first mods for the game but when we fixed it, it was one of those time were u just say doh.
    and u most likely will not make that mistake again i haven't done it sens i found out what i got wrong it is a very easy language to lean from what i have heard the configs are coded in JSON i have never heard of it before today but just Google/yahoo/bing what ever u chose and look (the fist link on Google is the website i used). for the more complicated stuff like scripts it is all in lua.

PS.the modding ability that the devs have meant for use to have are not fully implemented yet so the lua scripting from what i here is not very useful at the moment except for monster/Npc AI and mechs

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  20. Veav

Veav Scruffy Nerf-Herder