Modding Discussion Looking for Creativity

Discussion in 'Mods' started by RTGOAT, Sep 29, 2016.

1. RTGOAT

RTGOAT Cosmic Narwhal

I've been working on a mod for sometime to create more balance to the game, and to also add content. My main goal is to give the game some more longevity, and to make it a bit more strategic.
    WIP here: http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/rebalancing-the-game-to-add-longevity.123774/

Currently I'm in the process of testing the balance changes. While I play through the game to determine the final tweaks, I'm also looking for ideas/ways to increase the general content.

I'm looking for potential ideas from anyone here as to what they would like to see. I feel that there are many areas of the game that lack some depth or could be improved on.

--------------------
    =Mail=
    Firstly, I'm looking to add more mail. My focus is to add mail that isn't just there to initiate quests or notify the player of an upcoming event.

-I'd like more mail from npcs (generally just information or more gifts/rewards), because mail is really the only way an NPC can interact with the player (besides events). I like the idea of content interacting with the player.

-More mail from the outside world (Mail that could be from mom or other outside of town sources)

=Dialogue=
    Dialogue is pretty linear (to me). While there is quite a bit of dialogue for most NPCs, it doesn't take long for it to become repetitive. I think there are two solid ways to make dialogue more satisfying to the player.

-Simply adding more dialogue as some NPCs have very little dialogue. (Willy has one piece of dialogue for each day of the week that will repeat... the exceptions being the 5 dialogue lines that are achieved from heart levels.)

-Adding some more triggers. One of my thoughts are to trigger dialogue that occurs when the player becomes friendly with another NPC. (Sam, Sebastian, and Abigail are all good friends; I think it would be nice if the player could be involved in this connection.)

-More questions / interactive dialogue from NPCs.
    --------------------

Currently a part of my WIP mod, is that the player receives a discount on seeds from Pierre based on the player's relationship with Pierre. However, I want the player to have a bit more awareness that the benefit of being friends with Pierre exists and when that they know when they achieved it.

So far I've added three lines of dialogue (1 for each level of discount with Pierre) that will trigger (1 time only) to notify the player that Pierre is indeed giving them a discount. (They are a bit vague to the discount)

//3 Hearts
    -"Hello, @! Business has been improving ever since you moved here. It makes me happy to pass on any profits to you and my customers!#$b#It is the least I could do for our community."
    //6 Hearts
    -"Hey, @! Business has been going very well, and with your help, I can finally compete with Joja co.!#$b#I
    would like to thank you once again for all you have done for the community and myself."
    //9 Hearts
    -"@! The towns people are in love with your high quality produce. For that, My shop has become a grand success!#$b#Thank you for everything, @."

(Should it be more direct and tell the player that they are receiving a discount? Should I have it say the amount of the discount? Should I leave it as it?)

The bit of dialogue under this is for Willy. As the player becomes more friendly with Willy, fish become worth more. I want to let the player know, like with Pierre, that there is a benefit to befriending some of the towns people in terms of the value the player receives for items.

//3 Hearts
    "@! It nice to see another angler around here. Hopefully more of the townsfolk will follow suit...#$b#The larger the scene, the better for the both of us."
    //6 Hearts
    "You've become quite the fisherman, @, and a great influence to the rest of the townsfolk.#$b#We're exporting more fish than ever!"
    //9 Hearts
    "You're becoming a renowned fisherman among those of the fern islands!#$b#Your catches never cease to amaze anglers of the valley. You represent our home well."

-If anyone is interested in the work I'm doing and would like to help input ideas to expand the text content of the game let me know!

-I am also planning to add in seasonal clothing for NPCs (NPCs will change clothes through the different seasons). Only issue is that I am no artist :S; if you would be interested in this idea let me know!

-For anything else feel free to message me! :)

• SehxualPanda

SehxualPanda Void-Bound Voyager

What about getting Bills in the mail that you have to pay: Water, Gas, Electricity, Property Tax. IF you fail to pay them, and are broke you lose your farm..

• RTGOAT

RTGOAT Cosmic Narwhal

Yes! If you read the WIP link at the top I already have a system of bills for everything you noted. If your bills exceed your current money, you will go into debt and can't buy or spend money until you sell enough.