lol "mod support"

Discussion in 'Other' started by affsd, May 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adallamus

Adallamus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You have, though. The point of what you're saying is that you want the anti-cheat to be good. This stands on the assumption that it will be bad to begin with, which is not an assumption you can make without being a starbound dev. It's a strawman, and you're arguing a point you can't stand on. So yes, when you said you weren't assuming the anti-cheat would be bad, you were undermining your own argument.

2. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

Oh god.

Let's step back for a second, and assume that we devs are not idiots and not lazy.

Mod support is going to be based in JSON configuration files to start with. Lua is only used in a handful of very sandboxed places thus far, such as NPC AI, and possibly wiring. You're going to have to wait for actual plugin support to do anything major beyond adding items, armors, objects, songs, recipes, npcs, plants, story, and such using existing functionality, which is probably what 99/100 people actually want to do.

Yes, that will happen, but the server will do rate limiting and sanity checking for release. Standard childish griefing won't be possible (like detonating a bomb on every block of a world), which makes griefing a much smaller problem. But there will never be a substitute for active moderation and backups. You can completely legitimately spend a few hours totally fucking up someone's house completely within the normal way that the game is intended to be played.

Post release we will have a real API that you can call real functions against in a real .dll (or .a) file, as well as plugin support. You can use any language that can call .dll files for the API and for plugin support we're going to work on making it as broad support for languages as possible.

If you're worried about viruses, don't install mods, and don't allow mod auto-install, it's an option that will be off by default for precisely that reason.

We're not coding Terraria, we're not the same people who made Terraria, we have an entirely different development philosophy than the person who coded Terraria. What makes you think we're going to do things the same way as Terraria did?

Ida decompiles some C++. OllyDBG will disassemble it. We're not obfuscating the machine code I don't think. It shouldn't be too hard to reverse. I mean, it's a damn sight harder than C#, but I used to do virus reversing for fun. And I did hard drive firmware reversing for my old job, it's certainly possible.

Please make the assumption that when it comes to security related things, that we've probably already thought these things through. I can guarantee that we've spent a very large amount of thinking time about how client/server interaction works, between planning, coding, rewriting, tweaking, performance tuning, etc. If your important message is something as simple as "griefers exist." Then yes, we're aware, and we're not ignoring the problem.

D3RSkully, Thanel, Rekalty and 8 others like this.
  3. affsd

affsd Zero Gravity Genie

Can you please reread the first post that I edited? It's much more concise and is my general gist in a non-trollish sounding way

4. Zoolot

Zoolot Existential Complex

Again, like I said in the start, you are stating the obvious. Of course the anti-cheat should be good, look at The Warz, it uses a anti-cheat that looks at your kills and the reports that are sent against you and in a game like that where it's possible to get kills back to back if your lucky ruins the whole game by BANNING YOU, permanently, from ALL servers.

5. affsd

affsd Zero Gravity Genie

This makes me feel less worried. Sorry if I sounded like a hypocrite.
    Also, I wasn't implying that you were like the Terraria devs, I was just worried.
    But one thing
    I'm pretty sure that the skiddies won't touch the machine code or ASM because they just can't handle it. However, they will touch the download button for a hacked client.
    Also, reread the first post. I edited it. It's much better now.

Edit, well, I hope everybody has reached a conclusion in this thread because I'm done.
    Good run, everyone.
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha bai

6. Zoolot

Zoolot Existential Complex

Thanks for the information and the step in, Omni.

7. affsd

affsd Zero Gravity Genie

One last thing: Omni is 20 likes from getting 3141, the first four digits of Pi.
    Lock please? (no im not trying to backseat moderator)

8. Dwagon

Dwagon Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Then why express it in a way that is still cynical and pessimistic?
    Or to put it the way I learned from Speech and Debate: "If you have to explain a problem with your expression, you're already failing. Don't explain your expression, revise it."

That said, you do have a point about griefers and cheating. And the sad reality is, there is no permanent solution to cheaters, hackers and griefers.
    The best one can do is to avoid public games and barring that, backing up the world files outside of the game before starting your server.

I've seen how pathetically simple it is to break into other games before (from Quake 2 onward in my experience); there are entire video streams on youtube dedicated to griefing in games. I just finished watching one about Minecraft, where one of the griefers gave themselves admin privilege and made it rain lava from the heavens, crashing the server and ruining the save file permanently.

9. affsd

affsd Zero Gravity Genie

I'm sorry but did you read the rest of the thread, because it's been done almost 15 minutes ago

WoxandWarf likes this.
  10. Dwagon

Dwagon Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I am now. I typed up most of my post and then had to take care of something. I came back and hit send without considering this.
    Serves me right. I know.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  11. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

Lock granted.

Zoolot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.