1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

Digital Lodish's new art thread - Long live the King

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lodish, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Supernova

First of all, the only thing I'd like to see are a few rips in the cloak. Otherwise it's great!

Second, it did NOT feel like that was 101 days ago. And you were on hiatus for a while, so that is responsible for most of that.

Third, you are probably your best source of criticism. Every time I make art I feel like I failed, even though it's not THAT bad. You make FREAKING AMAZING art, and that means that you're the one person who can find any flaws without looking at it for an hour.

Firebird Zoom and Rima like this.
  2. Rima

Rima Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So true! I have looked at the drawing you did for me so much (It's even my computer background) and I cant find any flaws at all!
    You are amazing, don't stop being awesome. :avail:D:

Firebird Zoom likes this.
  3. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

Nope. I've been thinking for one hour straight, and I still don't know how to phrase how happy I am when I read this.

I love you all :nuruflirt:

4. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Supernova

We love you too!
    (But not in a weird way.)

Firepaw Da Cat and Lodish like this.
  5. Taphy

Taphy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Heya, I probably have one of the odder requests for you, Could you draw a picture of the dog in this sprite sheet I supplied. The white and tan one. Preferably sitting down with the tongue sticking out.

Attached Files:

• Dog.png
      Dog.png
      File size:
      3.1 KB
      Views:
    Lodish and Firebird Zoom like this.
  6. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

Aye! Added to the queue! o7

Firebird Zoom likes this.
  7. Chernushka

Chernushka Space Spelunker

Hello, I hope it won't be too much work for you, but could you please draw my character Nagako and her lover Tomomi together? <:
    Background, pose and stuff like that are up to you. I'm not very demanding on it. I prefer to leave you plenty of imagination rather than restricting your artistic freedom.
    Here's her reference and a picture of Tomomi in-game :
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Haven't drawn her yet, but here are a few notes on her :
    * She's a little taller than Nagako, 3-5cm taller.
    * Her body is less "curvy" and she's thinner.
    * Her third eye is normal, it has a pupil.

Dragonclaw, Firebird Zoom and Lodish like this.
  8. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

Will do!

Also, did you do the reference yourself? It looks beautiful!

9. Chernushka

Thanks, mate!
    And yes, I did the reference myself. ^^ Might do Tomomi's soon.
    I'm currently trying to find ideas to draw, but I've had a bit of artist's block lately. ^^;

10. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

What about starting a request thread? You'll sure have lots of ideas if you do so >w<

11. Chernushka

I'm a tad scared of not being able to fulfill my duties if I do (like, dropping requests, I hate not being able to do what I say), but that's an idea for sure. >w< Might do one like that.

Rima and Lodish like this.
  12. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

Meep meep, it's update o'clock!

A tiny bit of improvement on this one, I kinda forgot about it for the whole week >w<
    nezmira.png
    (Feet are a pain to draw, but here it's even harder >n<)

Some colours for @Dragonclaw 's request! It's anywhere neare over yet though >w<
    dragonclaw_vali.png
    Mind if I stay with a sketchy pen lineart? It's the only kind of lineart I'm comfortable with yet :nurutease: (I'll come back to that later)

Nearly done with this one! I reworked the lineart and tried to make something cleaner than the former one, but it still needs some shading and details, to make it look less flat.
    gray_rework_II.png

And finally my entry for the CF picture show!
    glitch-sketch.png
    I wanted to show it because of its lineart, I tried to make it different than usual. I still can't make proper linearts, hence why I'm trying various approaches >w<

Blep, midnight already. I have to leave now, or else my lack of sleep will haunt me for the whole day...
    I'll try yo have more stuff to show for the next time, since I kinda took a week off...

Until then! :zzzweetdreams:

13. Rima

Rima Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hey Lodish. I just got a drawing tablet and did a quick doodle to get the grip of it. I just want to know how you thought of it :avail:D: (any helpful advice, or criticism, or something to help me improve, that would be appreciated!)
    Rima_digital.png

Firebird Zoom and Lodish like this.
  14. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

I'd say... there's room for improvement.

Here's some tips:

Try not to spread too much, and focus on mastering your tools one at a time. Instead of trying to add pretty colours right away, use your tablet like you would use a pen: just stick with a single colour, and a single brush. Over time, you'll eventually be able to properly use every tools you have at your disposal.

When it comes to lines, many people do the mistakes of trying to draw them in one go. This never works, unless you're experimented enough. What you should do instead, is to draw lines with several strokes, following each other. (See picture below)
    rgd.PNG

Also, if you're using layers (and if you don't I strongly recommend you to do so), keep them organized, and as few as possible (one for the sketch, one for the lineart, one for the colouring, one for the shading, etc)

And lastly, the most important in my opinion: models. Don't try to draw from nothing when you are beginning, it is far too difficult to do without experience. You should pick some pictures you like, and try to reproduce them. That way, you'll assimilate a drawing style, that you will shape and expand with time and practice. And body shapes, it's a major aspect of drawing that you can only get by studying models.
    And trust me, I've been trying to draw for two years without models before realizing how useful they were, and I strongly regret not having noticed it sooner. (Not to mention that I gave up on drawing over a dozen times during that period, since I literally couldn't get anything done). Plus, there's isn't any shame in using other artist's works if it is for learning purposes.

Tl;dr because I'm tired and so is my english, so the above text may not even make sense (a.k.a clear tips below)
    -Don't rush, master your tools one by one starting from the simplest ones.
    -Draw lines with multiples strokes.
    -Keep your workspace clear and organized.
    -Learn with models, draw with models, live with models.

Phew, I guess that's it. If you have any question left unanswered, just tell me! :catnod:

Alright, time for a late update! (I made rhymes woo)

Messy sketch and rough colours, just like my life. Haha!
    nezmira.png

@Dragonclaw I'm almost done here!
    dragonclaw_vali.png

Aaand one finished picture! Yup, I sometimes finish my stuff, as crazy as it may sound >w<
    gray_rework_II_lr.png

Phwee, that's it for today. Time for words now.

This update, late as it may be, is a pretty important one.

I'VE BEEN DRAWING FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR! THAT'S AWESOME! YOU'RE AWESOME! AAAAAAAAAH!

Yup, it's been slightly more than a year since I did this... Ah, nostalgia.

I'd like to thank everyone who followed me during this time. I wouldn't have made it this far without you all.
    Thank you again, from the bottom of my heart.

At any rate, quite some time has passed since I started. I think I am now experimented enough to leave the nest and spread my paper wings, flying towards the endless horizon.

I started posting art on these forums, in hopes of receiving the confidence I needed to brave the internet, and my hopes have been raised beyond all expectations.

I will now show my works to the rest of the world. If you are interested, you can visit my newly-made deviantart account. Wish me luck, everyone...

However, I won't stop posting here! Who said that? Show yourself-

Instead, I decided to stop doing scheduled updates, I will now update this thread when I feel like I have things to show.

And I will finish these requests too, don't worry about that ;)

Damn, I feel like this post is a giant, unreadable mess >.>
    I should really go to sleep now :zzzweetdreams:

15. Firebird Zoom

Firebird Zoom Oxygen Tank

Follow your dreams, Lode.

Lodish likes this.
  16. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Supernova

Looks really nice!

A small difference between me and that Avali:
    I usually use a scope when I shoot. Unless it's a SMG or shotgun.

It's AWESOME though.

17. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Follow your dreams while you still can... If you stop for even a moment, you'll find yourself trying to hunt it down... Tracking and trailing it as best as you can through the thick underbrush... Having to hunt day and night and rest never or risk never catching it...

18. Dipdoo

Dipdoo Existential Complex

I'll echo this. The sooner you can start, the better. When you've got the itch to do something, do it and don't be afraid of failing, it's how you learn what doesn't work and makes the next try that much easier.

Lodish likes this.
  19. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

Thanks >w<

Say, could you give me a reference for the kind of scope you'd like to see?

I will. I. Damned. Will.

Thank you all.

20. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Supernova

I don't really care if you add a scope or not. Seriously.

Side view.[​IMG]
    Here's a front-ish view.
    [​IMG]