Modding Help Location of "Unique Monster" scripts?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Titanium, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Titanium

Titanium Existential Complex

Does anybody know where to find the base code for things such as Tintics? Is it inside the packed.pak directory?

I recently figured out how to unpack .pak files, but I'm stuck at trying to look for the code to figure out how things work. Am I looking in the wrong place?

2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

All assets are found in the packed file. You must unpack the main asset file to see them.

3. Titanium

I did that. Inside that: I don't know where to look for the code that, like, says Tintic can scale walls.

4. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Go to the monster you want - open the file.
    There will be a parameter scripts - telling you which one it uses.

Then go to that script.
    But all of the AI code will be in lua.

5. Titanium

What folder is it in? Because it's not in "monsters". That only contains information about boss, generated, and mission monsters.

6. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

"/monsters/crawlers/tintic/"
    From here, you can open all the relevant files to dissect what you're looking for.

7. Titanium

[​IMG]

I must have done something wrong when unpacking, then. :(

Attached Files:

8. Inf_Wolf14

Seems like it.

Unpack the assets again using whatever method you employ. If you use the ModPakHelper, it tells you specifically when it is finished. If you use a basic command line, you wait until the input prompt reappears. (Something similar if you happen to use anything else...)

In any case, unpacking the vanilla assets can take several minutes to do, even with the best computers. (Mine takes about 5-8 minutes. But ive heard it take as long as 15-25.)

After all and such, check the monster dir again.

9. Titanium

So, I've managed to more fully unpack my .pak

Screen Shot 2016-10-03 at 7.23.26 AM.png

Some of the files in packed/monsters/ seem to refer to a folder of some kind known as "scripts"
    Is there supposed to be one inside of "monsters"?

Thanks for the help btw

10. Inf_Wolf14

In most cases, the filepaths you will see in a files are absolute. This means that they directly refer to the main asset folder as the root, or the foundation of the path.
    In other words, when you see "/scripts/util.lua", that means in the overall folder containing all the vanilla assets, look for the folder "scripts" and inside you will find "util.lua".

Also, no problem. :) Everyone has to start somewhere