1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help Linux64 Fails to start

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by necrogami, Dec 4, 2013.

1. zenofx

zenofx Void-Bound Voyager

Code:
    zeno@wraith ~/starbound % ls       
    assets/  linux64/
    zeno@wraith ~/starbound % LD_LIBRARY_PATH=linux64 ./linux64/starbound_server  

class101 likes this.
  2. Interesting, the new update redistributes more libraries vorbis, png, crypto, in the game folder, not sure for which system they are compiled so, you tried on which system zeno ? Shouldn't work like that on CentOS because anyway they do not redistributes libstdc++ which is too old on CentOS.

3. zenofx

zenofx Void-Bound Voyager

It is Arch, 3.12.1-1-ARCH x86_64

I didn't know they haven't provided the libs right off the bat.

4. Yeah last package I sent to my server had only libGLEW.so.1.7, now should solve most problem people have

Nice to point out this because some people will have to delete these files if they gets loaded before the correct system libraries, I have seen this problem with a few servers, not so bad anyway because most people don't know where to get vorbis and co

zenofx likes this.
  5. F1shb0ne

F1shb0ne Void-Bound Voyager

I might have done something wrong, but with the new game files it looks like I'm back to square one in trying to launch the server: (I'm using CentOS as well)

Code:
    [fish@cerberus Starbound]$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=linux64 ./linux64/starbound_server
    ./linux64/starbound_server: /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.14' not found (required by ./linux64/starbound_server)
    ./linux64/starbound_server: /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.5' not found (required by ./linux64/starbound_server)
    ./linux64/starbound_server: /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.15' not found (required by ./linux64/starbound_server)

6. Jansen

Jansen Aquatic Astronaut

Hi F1shb0ne,

did you try apply my patch? it should still work. See #1 (overwriting the so's should be fine ) and #2

bkg likes this.
  7. Patchu

Patchu Intergalactic Tourist

Followed all of your instructions, Jansen, and I've got it working nicely on CentOS 6.5.

Only issue I've noticed so far is it often segfaults when starting the server, but trying again usually works, and when it's up it seems to stay up.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Edit:
    Nevermind, it seems to segfault a bit too much for it to be playable, usually when people connect. Maybe I should just try switching to Fedora, or maybe even give up on Red Hat-based distros entirely and avoid these kinds of issues in future.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  8. bkg

bkg Subatomic Cosmonaut

Great thread, was on my squeeze , same prob like you have with centos. With his patch all runs great !

Thx again. Only problem to fix is the idle Shutdown, have edit the asset /config to 0. But server have shutdown today with no resson, other than idel is see.

9. F1shb0ne

Thanks for replying Jansen :D
    I just assumed because it was a binary patch it probably wouldn't work on the new release, I'll go try it now.

edit:
    Which .so files are you referring to?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  10. Jansen

Jansen Aquatic Astronaut

The .so files which came with the last starbound update

11. F1shb0ne

sorry, I meant to ask, where were those to be written to. Was it still under /tmp or some place else? I'm pretty sure you didnt mean to overwrite the ones in /usr/lib64

12. Jansen

Jansen Aquatic Astronaut

No, that would break a lot of stuff :D

The .so files from my tar.gz go to starbound/linux64/ (where some .so files will be replaced), the .so in my tar.gz in the folder "linux_loader-dont..." needs to copied to /tmp and made read and executable (chmod 755 /tmp/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2)

13. F1shb0ne

lol I assumed so, I managed to figure it out, and confirmed with what you just wrote now.
    Everything seems to be working, I'm going to get some friends to try and go from there.

Thanks for your help =)

14. drunkkidsgaming

drunkkidsgaming Yeah, You!

dude Jansen, thank you so much. I used your patch and files to successfully get the server to run.

It ran just fine without any fiddling on my home Ubuntu 13.04 server but my beefy dedicated collocated server is running 10.04 and was getting the libstd errors.

If it helps anyone to know the patch files worked fine on a steamcmd installed copy of the server that i did like 30 seconds ago so the files and patch are still compatible with whatever updates they may have done.

Thanks again mate.

edit: and for further notes, we played a bunch today and then the newest update (12-05) happened and I used steamCMD to update the server, readded your files and reapplied the patch and all things worked perfectly.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  15. whinis

whinis Yeah, You!

I have found the problem to be that the ld file in tmp is not executable

16. FrozenSUSHI

FrozenSUSHI Aquatic Astronaut

I applied the patch, renamed the files, copied the libs and still I'm getting the following error:
    Code:
    user@host:/opt/starbound/linux64$ ./launch_starbound_server.sh
    Info: Creating Star::Root with 1 assets sources and config file: './starbound.config'
    Info: Loading Star::Assets from: '../assets'
    Info: Loading Star::Root...
    Info: Loading Star::Configuration from './starbound.config'
    Error: Could not load /celestial/names.config asset, attempting to use default.
    AssetException: Could not read variant asset /celestial/names.config
    ./starbound_server(_ZN4Star13StarExceptionC1ERKSsRKSt9exception+0x126) [0xa595d6]
    ./starbound_server() [0x609655]
    ./starbound_server() [0x6096c4]
    ./starbound_server() [0x601c1a]
    ./starbound_server() [0x6020cf]
    ./starbound_server() [0x609ae3]
    ./starbound_server() [0x60aa85]
    ./starbound_server() [0x60d6fb]
    ./starbound_server() [0x60ddeb]
    ./starbound_server() [0x512e58]
    ./starbound_server() [0x52fd49]
    ./starbound_server() [0x53229d]
    ./starbound_server() [0x5072f6]
    ./libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf5) [0x7f051e41ade5]
    ./starbound_server() [0x50b35d]

caused by: AssetException: No such asset '/celestial/names.config'
    ./starbound_server(_ZN4Star13StarExceptionC2ERKSs+0xfe) [0xa58e4e]
    ./starbound_server() [0x60ea71]
    ./starbound_server() [0x602df3]
    ./starbound_server() [0x602e92]
    ./starbound_server() [0x609566]
    ./starbound_server() [0x6096c4]
    ./starbound_server() [0x601c1a]
    ./starbound_server() [0x6020cf]
    ./starbound_server() [0x609ae3]
    ./starbound_server() [0x60aa85]
    ./starbound_server() [0x60d6fb]
    ./starbound_server() [0x60ddeb]
    ./starbound_server() [0x512e58]

Info: Shutting down Star::Root
    Error: Fatal Exception Caught: VariantException: Variant type not map for get("planetarySuffixes"), is of type null
    ./starbound_server(_ZN4Star13StarExceptionC2ERKSs+0xfe) [0xa58e4e]
    ./starbound_server() [0x70aa21]
    ./starbound_server(_ZNK4Star7Variant3getERKNS_6StringE+0xa0) [0xa3b4f0]
    ./starbound_server() [0x512e9a]

17. Jansen

Jansen Aquatic Astronaut

hi FrozenSUSHI,
    my patch only fixes the problem of having incompatible system libs :/

In this thread some other people have the same error like you.

Perhaps I should open a new thread, which is only about the system libs problem...

18. entropyrat

entropyrat Aquatic Astronaut

This is ultimately my issue too. I understand this game is in beta but it should not be this difficult to get this game running on a Linux server.

19. Halaster

Halaster Space Spelunker

Thanks again, the update broke Starbound again for me, but your patch still works.

20. Halaster

Halaster Space Spelunker

Those are definitely great prices for unlimited sized servers and a good hoster, but too much for smaller servers where you only plan to have say 16 people max at any time, and closer to an average of 7 or so online most times.

My current provider for example, I am paying around $11 and can host a decent number of players. Sure I have to setup, but that is a price difference of $252 a year.

Do you guys offer tiers, or just the one $32.64 level ? Your Minecraft for example has a great selection of tiers.

I am really interested in seeing the prices of the Official servers listed on the launcher when they are available.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2013