Modding Discussion Licensing questions

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by IHart, Mar 10, 2017.

1. IHart

IHart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm looking for a license to put on some projects that REQUIRES modification in order to redistribute. Any help in the search, insights, or feedback, is very welcome.

2. MetaFace

MetaFace Guest

So you are concerned about copyright? I'd look into the creative commons license which states people can freely download your work, but must modify the items in a creative and original way in order to redistribute. More here: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/

I think it doesn't covers the redistribute entirely, I think its an option though.

3. IHart

I do not see where it says modification is required for redistribution, can you be more specific?

4. MetaFace

MetaFace Guest

I don't think I personally can go into detail, but most gpl (general public licenses) give the option to modify how it works, I think you can get a license which terms states people are not allowed to distribute copies.

There isn't too much I can say about this (im no lawyer).

5. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

You can simply write your own license.
    Though I never heard of one that specifically states you must modify to distribute.

6. MetaFace

MetaFace Guest

Yeah, that's basically it, Apple does it, pretty much any company or artist/coder can do it as well. Though when you do it, you'll want it to be legally applicable.

7. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Start with a standard license that requires permission for use and distribution. Add a clause at the end that permission is automatically granted for derivative(modified) works.

/not_a_lawyer

8. MetaFace

MetaFace Guest

Yeah, that works.

9. IHart

I'm working on an addendum to CC4 and CC0 to this effect.

10. IHart