1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Levels of Difficulty?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Maka, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyAijou

LadyAijou Phantasmal Quasar

In terms of game MODES, like "normal' "easy" "hardcore", we haven't heard anything. I would certainly call it a distinct possibility. Other than that, we just know about the varying difficulty among the planets themselves, on a scale of 1-100, as others have said above.

2. Bine

Bine Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I personally hope the planets are purely randomly generated. I would like, for example, to find a level 1 world with which to put a shelter on to house extra NPCs that i find when im at equipment level 60.

3. Saal

Saal Spaceman Spiff

Well, you've just extended my words - and it's a nice addition, sure :D

4. Sorrow872

Sorrow872 Big Damn Hero

thats right. I think it will be like this anyway, because otherwise it would be a little too hard or too easy. But I really hope that you can travel to old planets, in order to get last things you need from there and not get suck on too difficult planets.

LazerEagle1 likes this.
  5. Saal

Saal Spaceman Spiff

I think it'll be like worlds created in Terraria - you can change between the planets freely... or maybe only planets that are actually yours - after you claim them. But I'll stay with my version lol

6. Sorrow872

Sorrow872 Big Damn Hero

yeah i dont actually have something against your version, but I would love it if you could switch between your planets :)
    By the way.... AWESOME PICTURE !!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

7. Saal

Saal Spaceman Spiff

Ah, thank you ^^
    I'm also thinking about the way we can switch between planets. Imo travelling by home-made spaceship would be very nice.
    Aaaand, in the beginning, after you explore your first planet and gather many materials, you can build small ship. Then, after visiting a few planets, you can build (with your NPCs) bigger ships that can take more people and have better weapons (if there will be fighting in space) etc. :)

Sorrow872 likes this.
  8. Bine

Bine Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Try to keep in mind other promised features that the devs want to get in there too. Traveling from 1 point to another may take a while. Especialy if, say, friend went to coordinate -212.-3328 but you went to coordinate 992103.238211. Your friend found an awsome world and shared it. It would take a grudgingly long time to reach. Id like the idea of being able to travel around via space ship, but may be impractical with the universe essentialy being unending.

Not to say this idea couldnt be used. It would just take some more thought :>

9. Saal

Saal Spaceman Spiff

Yes, I thought about that, too. So, in late game we should be able to create a teleport so we can TP to the other planets with teleports :)

Sorrow872 likes this.
  10. MKSTAR26

MKSTAR26 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

How did we get from difficulties to teleporters...?

11. Saal

Saal Spaceman Spiff

Difficulties of planets -> finding new planets -> switching between your planets -> travelling -> teleporters.
    That's how. lol

Sorrow872 likes this.
  12. Sorrow872

Sorrow872 Big Damn Hero

I really love this idea. On this way, you would have to choose ( <---- sorry dont have the correct word in my head right now, so I have to describe it) on which way you want to travel through space: Teleporters, Spaceships, maybe JetPacks, Giant flying Alienbirds or even smiling Volcanos :3 Would really LOVE it.
    By the way.... now i just have to follow you :3 you dont gaveme a chance, you got just awesome ideas.

kezfr likes this.
  13. Bine

Bine Scruffy Nerf-Herder

How will you teleport to the planet if you havent been there? Your friend was there, sure. So they gave you the coordinates to it so you can see it too. However, this is in singleplayer mode (Which means that they havent built anything on it in your save).

Edit: Should probably start a new thread to let this one return to its original point.

14. Sorrow872

Sorrow872 Big Damn Hero

I have another idea of knowing what dangerous type your planet is: Music. In my opinion you should be able to hear what dangerous type it is. With dangerous type I dont want to say about 3 songs for every planet and so on because that would be to much. I am thinking of zones like 1-25 or 25-75 and then the really dangerous ones like 75-100.

15. Sorrow872

Sorrow872 Big Damn Hero

you dont should worry about the thread, i resurrected the original sense of the thread again

16. A.N.T.I.

A.N.T.I. Spaceman Spiff

I'd love to see people being able to change a PLANETS difficulty. Rather then making it easier on the player, maybe make three modes for planets like, "Well Stocked" or "Expedition" or for hard mode "Survivor" Planets would have more or less materials depending on the difficulty and there would be tougher enemies on them too. But hey just my thoughts.

17. Sorrow872

Sorrow872 Big Damn Hero

that would be one method, but i think it will put away the magic of the random creation of the planets. I like the idea of random generated difficult, because its something fresh and new. I think I wouldn't really like it if you could decide how hard your planet is. Would make me kind of sad.... :(
    But still its an good idea

18. Bine

Bine Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ohhh! Knowing the danger of a planet by the song! Thats pretty nifty. I have always personally loved games where the music changes based on whats going on. My favorite has to be planetside 1's system. Loved it. But im biased because of rose tinted glasses. There was music that was relaxed and slow when nothing was happening in the area you are in. It was different based on whether or not you were in a friendly owned facility, out in the field, or enemy facility. (it built tension when you were in enemy territory.) It also changed if there was combat going on somewhere near you. Or there were a high ammount of enemies nearby. Then it got really active if you were engaged in actual combat. People shooting at you, you shooting at them. Etc. I wouldnt want something this detailed for Starbound (music change too often), but i would love to see something that is based on difficulty and enviroment.

19. A.N.T.I.

A.N.T.I. Spaceman Spiff

I don't mean the planet isn't randomly generated, it just generates less or more depending on that difficulty, and like I said enemies that spawn/live on the planet are harder then they'd normally be.

20. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

I don't think there'll be, but different planets have different difficult levels; 1-100, 100 being the hardest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.