1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Levels of Difficulty?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Maka, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maka

Maka Void-Bound Voyager

Does anyone know if there will be set levels of difficulty that you can change, like Minecraft, or if it will be stuck to just the one difficulty setting?

2. Afterscore

Afterscore Weight of the Sky

The idea is that different planets will have different difficulty levels set to them as they are generated.

Essentially a number from 1 to 100 and the higher the number that is picked, the harder the planet in terms of mob strength and I imagine difficult terrain to cross (lava perhaps?).

The Devs have said that even with the best end-game gear, planets marked as 100's will still be a challenge.

3. Maka

Maka Void-Bound Voyager

I see, I see.

Oh it's going to be a laugh when I start a new game and get an 75-80 something level planet.

Madmarlon likes this.
  4. Afterscore

Oh definitely. Although I can't rightly say how the game will keep track of what sort of difficulty planets you should be coming across. If you spawn for the first time and you're surrounded by fire, hell, demons and Justin Bieber, you know you've hit a level 100 planet.

Madmarlon and Hydrae like this.
  5. Maka

Maka Void-Bound Voyager

Oh c'mon now, there's actually a nice guy somewhere deep down really really buried in the plastic, lack of testosterone and glittered flesh that make up his body.

Maybe.

If we're lucky.

Madmarlon and Blue_Assassin like this.
  6. Hydrae

Hydrae Cosmic Narwhal

Thanks for that image. Now I'm off to bed with the scariest planet burned in my mind. :eek:

Sorrow872 and SuperMann like this.
  7. Aviakio

Aviakio Weight of the Sky

I imagine that there wouldn't be those conventional fake levels of difficulty. 'Oh let's make enemies kill you faster! Let's make you die faster! Give them more hp!'

I'd also imagine that they wouldn't just let you jump into a level 100 planet... Maybe some sort of initial quest that takes you to basic forest land planets.

SuperMann and AliceTheGorgon like this.
  8. Afterscore

I'm thinking the same. There is clear mention of a main story which I think may have an effect on how frequently more dangerous planets are found.

The further into the story you are, the better equipped to deal with bigger threats you will be. At least that should be the rule of thumb in my opinion.

Sorrow872 likes this.
  9. endingcredits

endingcredits Void-Bound Voyager

My knowledge of programming is very limited, but I don't think it should be too difficult to implement some sort of check to see the level of your character and make sure the first planet you see is a suitable level.

10. Afterscore

Has levels for characters been confirmed? I hadn't heard that yet.

11. endingcredits

endingcredits Void-Bound Voyager

Ah good point, now that you mention it I don't think so either. Still, it could see your equipment, or at least ask itself "Is this the first time this character is being used?" Since the game is supposed to start with a story sequence it shouldn't be a big deal.

12. Afterscore

Agreed. If it's been confirmed by Devs I have enough faith that they've at least worked out some of the kinks and intend on working out any remaining ^^

13. Gemini

Gemini Subatomic Cosmonaut

It'll probably have a short "this is what this means, this is how you tell if you're going to be slaughtered if you go to this planet" tutorial type thing, and then probably set you on a tiny difficulty 1 planet, following the first couple missions.

And with C++(probably others as well), it wouldn't be hard at all to have some stat variable to count things like alien life killed and/or alien life-forms studied, then something to add them up and use that to suggest a difficulty range. Maybe toss in a death count to the equation just to be sure.

But, I'm sure they'll make it easy to find a planet challenging or safe enough for our tastes.:)

AliceTheGorgon likes this.
  14. Space Sphere

Space Sphere Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Stay in the 1 planets and your good.
    No point in turning off mobs in a game that uses them for progression.
    (Unless they make a "Stellar Sandbox" Mode.)

15. M C

M C Parsec Taste Tester

dead, whats gonna happen to dead topics anyway?

16. Bine

Bine Scruffy Nerf-Herder

FRAAAAAANKENSTEIN!

To at least contribute to this ressurected thread, I believe the planets will at least give you details before landing. It'l tell you what its difficulty level is more than likely. At least, thats what i would expect to avoid the flood of children that got smished over and over and over again on their first planet. (It'l stem the tide at least, right? Right?)

AliceTheGorgon likes this.
  17. M C

M C Parsec Taste Tester

y u folowing meh to every dang topic bine? D:

18. Bine

Bine Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Cuz they be on top! When you post, it moves up. I see old ressurected threads like that :p *also gets very bored...*

EDIT: I do believe you have posted in many threads -after- i had posted in them MC. You just happen to see my name a lot.

19. Saal

Saal Spaceman Spiff

There should be some kind of gear score - which depends on the equipped/found/idk items (for example: starting new game with score 5 will spawn you on the planet with level 1-10, and score 100 (with pro EQ) will spawn you in Rebecca Black's room, or something lol).
    Eventually that will give you better chance of finding a suitable planet, if we can build our own spaceship and search for planets (what would be great ;)).

edit: asdf space wars = epic

20. SuperMann

SuperMann Subatomic Cosmonaut

I hope that new planets are generated in difficulty based on your level/gear value. The planets' difficulties should be slightly higher than your level/gear value, for a challenge and to get gear that's better than yours.

Sorrow872 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.