Leveling up and stats

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by CpuPlayer, Apr 12, 2017.

1. CpuPlayer

CpuPlayer Void-Bound Voyager

I would like to see a leveling system more akin to an rpg game. I'm not a big fan of the current level system where the only thing getting stronger is your equipment. I also would like to have stats, like strength, dex, health, etc. that can be increased with points. Put the max level around 50.

Valardy likes this.
  2. oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

...i get the feeling that CF isnt just gonna rehaul the entire leveling system this far out from release. i dont see why this couldnt be accomplished through a mod, though

3. CpuPlayer

CpuPlayer Void-Bound Voyager

Late response, my apologies.

If taking out the current system is out of the question, then maybe they could make it a side implementation? Not overriding the armor planet leveling system, but adding the level up system as a side mechanic?

If mods can do that sort of thing, wouldn't the official devs be able to do the same? I'm not a programmer, but it doesn't seem that hard to implement a leveling system if you are decent at programming.

4. oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

The thing is, theres really no need for the game to have an rpg-style leveling system. Starbound plays fine without it, and while im sure you would enjoy this addition, most players would probably find it unnecessary or extraneous given the current tier system in place.

Another thing to consider is that while this proposal could probably be easy to implement, that doesnt mean that the devs should. Keep in mind that the starbound devs are still paid professionals, and that any work they contribute to the game is work they need to be compensated for ($$$). If the team doesnt feel like certain additions to the game are worth their time or money, they should have no obligation to make them.

That being said, if you really want an rpg-style leveling system in starbound, your best bet would definitely be in the starbound modding forums.

5. Jmack115

Jmack115 Orbital Explorer

just make certain armor tiers like light medium and heavy and have required stats to use that armor this way you can still use the pre existing high level armors but make it harder to wear them if you know what i mean but its really what the devs want to do