Building/Ship Let's See Your Ship

Discussion in 'Screenshots' started by Felonious, Dec 9, 2013.

?

What do you use your ship for?

1. Storage

748 vote(s)
    46.8%
  2. Decoration

676 vote(s)
    42.3%
  3. I can put things in my ship?

175 vote(s)
    10.9%
  1. Pohany

Pohany Parsec Taste Tester

2. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

upload_2017-7-4_4-27-44.png

Yeah, I'm thinking that's an improvement all around. Like maybe make the second-deck ladder rung the Lunar Base platform but ehn

IxFa, moremuffin and Parrotte like this.
  3. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

I rather like it how it is. The Lunar Base Platforms are so different that it would probably look very strange - although you might be able to paint them to fit in.
    I like the ladle generator/heat sink/something a lot too. Is nice.
    What's the water sensor for though? :p

4. moremuffin

moremuffin Cosmic Narwhal

Yeah when I went and built my first ship after the patch and found out that the sloped blocks and madtulips sloped blocks don't play nice it kind of upset me too. But ship building is a lot of fun, it's just more of a long term project than a house on a planet.

5. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

I found that Madtulip's sloped blocks don't play nice with Madtulip's sloped blocks, nor normal vanilla blocks. I'm using the blocks version only though, maybe they're inferior.
    As for ships, it's a lot of fun to build indeed, though most of my ships I build and then copy out and start a new ship. I'm currently building a ship for my FU playthrough, though I dropped the idea of doing it legitly.
    It's just a ship anyway, and it's basically entirely decorational as my brother and I made a universal space station to for storage and crafting,

[​IMG]

Still a shame about the glass though. I am also slightly jelly of Pohany's slanted force blocks.

Also, pre-release targetted blink tech + zero gravity is still amazing for shipbuilding.

I wonder how I will get my quartermaster aboard.

6. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Looks, nothing more.

7. Solar Ace

Solar Ace Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Is anyone going to give me any suggestions?

8. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

Welp. I've made good progress, have an idea of how I want to plan the rest of my ship
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I have to scrap it, because this computer cannot handle it, it seems. I had been working on it for a while, but my framerate was starting to drop down to 10 to 15 when I neared the bridge. Restarting it fixed it, but I don't want to have to restart every hour because my ship becomes a lagfactory.

Time to re-evaluate my idea here. I'll probably have to downsize from a cruiser to a smaller, more personal spaceship.

Zlyvr likes this.
  9. PyreStarite

PyreStarite Space Kumquat

@Solar Ace Maybe the lack of suggestions is form a lack of issues. These 2-3-4 may be yacking on and on but they (I'm pretty sure) are friends and are quite ready to comment on each other (or snipe at).

I took a look back and I generally don't have any issues with your layout except that the bottom rooms are dark and empty and otherwise a giant waste of space. The kitchen is also dark and unappealing because of it, the hall with the benches in it have empty wall space, and the dining room to be quite frank is just so dull it is a crime. Also, you are using an outpost locker with lunar bunk beds which personally irks me, please change the lockers out for lunar lockers. If you are looking for advice on what to fill out those rooms with, try filling them with an engine room or storage.

Parrotte likes this.
  10. moremuffin

moremuffin Cosmic Narwhal

Been distracted rebuilding Pohany's Rim II Cruiser for myself (it's too cool not to).

If I had to pick an issue with your ship Solar Ace it's a lack of a unified look to the whole thing. While you'd normally have some variation in decor based on a rooms function, the dramatically different tilesets for each room rather than looking varied just end up looking a bit messy. With regards to what to use the rooms for though, I'd honestly say that your current cargo hold is occupying space where the engine room would normally be.

The main thing that's probably lagging you is the sheer number of lights you have set up. Each one renders its light intensity on its own rather than calculating the total effect as a group so the effect on your cpu adds up suprisingly quickly.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  11. Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

Really nice! It looks like what'd I'd imagine a stargazer cruiser would look like. I actually wouldn't clutter it up at all. It reminds me of the ship I built on my first playthrough (i was rping as a Stargazer Scout)

I like your themes =3 I feel like they reflect what you'd find in those cultures pretty well

12. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

Mmm, I'll have to keep that in mind. If that's CPU intensive then that is likely the bane of my ship's existence I presume, since our CPU isn't really high end.
    Still, a 30 average fps drop, that's quite extreme. Chucklefish, pls fix xD

I'm going to finish the ship and see what it does if I'm playing for longer periods of time. I can live with 25 frames on my ship, but if it drops again after a while then I'll have to build a new one.

13. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

Here are both my Floran and Avian ships; I also included a picture of them before I changed them.

Avian Ship
    Before After
    Avian 1.png Avian 2.png
    The first ship was a little to symmetrical. The two halves of the first ship were nearly mirror images of each other. The second ship only has very few new objects on it. I moved the items around so that there still is some balance between the two sides, but they are not as similar as before.
    I tried replacing the Avian Tech Blocks on the foreground with Hull Panel Blocks painted yellow, but it contrasted with the exterior of the ship too greatly; the Avian Tech blocks were the best choice.
    The second picture had a pet healing station in the cockpit just three spaces behind the captain's chair, I did not want to take another picture so I edited the object out. I think I managed to edit the object out flawlessly.
    I changed the blocks that made up Kluex' head, but not the beak.
    Floran Ship
    Before After
    Floran 1.png Floran 2.png

Some objects were a little over used in the first one; the second removes or replaces them.
    I added Hylotl katana, samurai armor, Glitch armor into the collection of weapons from other races.
    I placed several new objects.
    I replaced the plant matter block with rusted hull panel on the foreground. On the background I have the outpost support beams and girders.
    I put a little more variety into the plant lights.

Let me know what you think of them.

shark213 likes this.
  14. IxFa

IxFa Pangalactic Porcupine

So while expanding my ship and taking some inspiration from M_Sipher, I went through numerous iterations of the engine rooms. Soon it evolved into a few ideas of trying to blend the overgrowth aesthetic with it.
    Starbound_BioFuel.png
    It's nowhere near the final version, this is just a little bit of work I did towards that idea. Seem like a good idea in theory?
    M_Sipher, I'd love to see if you can manage an aesthetic like this. I'm sure you could take my idea and do it much better justice. So much better that I'd definitely steal it. I'm thinking one of those plant blocks I'm missing would do well here. That really dark one.

•​
    I agree, the avian blocks look better than hull in the avian ship. I also like the Kluex head, it adds a lot to the center of the ship that helps the whole thing come together a bit better. That said, I feel overall that the ship still feels too vacant. There's not enough stuff in it - it doesn't feel lived-in. It's like there hasn't been some great adventurer piloting it for so long. This lack of a lived-in feel to it makes the layout seem more artificial and cold.
    Perhaps you should think about purpose. This isn't just a temple, it's a ship. This is a flying monument that is both symbolic and functional, what's the reason for these rooms? How about the top one? What's it there for? I see an altar, a throne, a table, and some chairs. Why? What is done in that room? Why is the bedroom at the opposite end from the navigation room? Who sleeps there if not the pilot? If that's truly the captain's room.. Why is it so tiny? Regardless of who sleeps there, it's clearly a cozy bed so that's not a brig for prisoners. In that case, it needs more doodads. Again, should feel lived-in. If I had my own little bedroom on a spaceship, I'd put up my favorite silicon sculpture, a little poster, and the array of tiny decorative objects I've got. I'd put up a shelf too, for that purpose. Give that bedroom a bit of character! It should say something about the person that sleeps there.

And go find an avian marketplace. There's a ton of banners, I'm sure you missed a couple different ones you could have thrown in.
    I think this ship improved a lot! The improved variety goes a long way. Note however that normal hull blocks(not rusty, not tech, not inset) when painted red is a 100% match with the majority of the floran outside hull. It's much better for sectioning off rooms.
    as for stairs, I think rusty is a very poor choice. Smooth slope for stairs? Unless you're using them in rooms that involve a lot of moving cargo, that's pretty poor. I said it before, use the ruins platforms! They're found in swamps and floran prisons. They looks like mossy stairs, it's perfect! So great of a match!
    And as usual, try to fill some empty space. Too much uniformity is especially strange with the overgrowth aesthetic. Where is the ship's crew/captain putting the rest of their stuff too? Toss in some crates! The medieval crates from glitch places look pretty good, as do plenty of chests.
    If you want to looks more sloppy, like a decoration-ignorant Floran that just collects a lot of stuff, put a pile of stuff haphazardly in a corner. Some coin-pile blocks behind a crate with a few books on it and a poptop figurine. Personality!

You're improving a lot, that's the important bit. Good job : )

Parrotte and DragonsForce like this.
  15. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Well, since you asked...

I like the pipe/tank combo, the pipes line up nicely with the latches to look like they're more of a connector. Finding unintended matches like that is always fun and a great way to spice up a build.

The Poison is a nice touch for a fake "fuel tank", but I would maybe take one "block" out to emphasize "liquid". Maybe put a one-block wall between the poison and pipes to make it look a bit more contained, something without horizontal seams between the blocks maybe. This'd mean moving the whole rest of the assembly over one block, but well, it ain't like I've not done that a million times. It would allow you to put a vertical pipe in at the bottom, making it look like a fuel line entry. (Foreground or background, well, I guess that'd be some experimenting to see what looks better.)

The lights, I'd replace the vine light in the poison with one of those Organic Biolights. Too many of a single non-symmetrical item in one location tends to spoil the illusion of untamed nature; more than two is pretty much too many.

Sparklink, one suggestion I'd make is to not use normal torches for interior lighting because well um oxygen rich environment under pressure and um boom. See what other crystal-based light sources you can find. The Crystal Light is an Avian lamp if you don't mind using non-vanilla assets (I mean they're in the game in the Sovereign Temple, you just can't have them without /admin for... no good reason I can find). You can try the Prism lights if you can find them, though the egg shape of the normally-craftable Titanium Light may fit the Avian aesthetic well.

Parrotte likes this.
  16. Pohany

17. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

I think a big part of this feel may be because I removed the crew members. I had to remove them because switching between several ships caused them to start duplicating.
    I have some Ideas that will improve the ship greatly. I'll show it off soon.

Parrotte likes this.
  18. Pohany

[​IMG]
    Enlil [Destroyer]
    Weapon Systems: 1 Antimatter lance, 2 Hornet MRM, 2 Ferrogun.

19. Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

I like your style.

alot.

golucago and Pohany like this.
  20. Zlyvr

Zlyvr Phantasmal Quasar

I think you all know this ship...

[​IMG]

Dharkaron, Ickura, Waffielz and 5 others like this.