1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Lets discuss... Food

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Mikuel, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Mikuel

Mikuel Astral Cartographer

Yeah, there probably is thread for this hidden somewhere but either its my birdbrain or its hidden DEEP! And this isn't just any "what food you like to make" or "edit food stuff like this and this" thread ovo. This is about talking all around the foods in starbound. Like what you personally like to use or if you would like to use something but its too hard to farm or if something takes more effort than its worth or...

Sorry, got carried away.

And now my two big questions...
    why can't we toast seeds for snack... Or throw breadcrumbs.

Anyways back to topic. What you think about food in Starbound? Do you have favourite recipe?

2. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Stopped using any food once hunger was removed. The buffs aren't enough seeing as techs and just playing better can easily render them irrelevant

3. Mikuel

Well thats kinda true Dark. But I like the potential in them myself actually. They are like powered up stims in some cases, but with long cooldowns. (And harder to make)

For example, Feather food was reason I actually managed to pass first boss myself. Got just enough extra health and such to get to shoot that last laser.

4. AntiStoned

AntiStoned Big Damn Hero

In the Nightly I only cook food only to sell them for a decent price. I want them to add the hunger back, the well-fed effect is also really bad, I would understand if the buffs lasted as long as the well-fed effect, and I'd say that well-fed buff is worse than potion sickness in Terraria.

1nfinitezer0 likes this.
  5. Mikuel

True, well-fed is usually double the duraction as food buffs... Except for few ingredients. I actually managed to find some ingredients those give you was it some max hp and energy for the duraction of well fed... The bonus is maybe +10% hp so its not that much...

6. Slippery Slime

Slippery Slime Big Damn Hero

I think the food is great, the variety is really good, but I do think hunger should be brought back. There is another thing about people wanting it to be way more survival oriented, I don't think that is necessary, its more of an adventure rather than trying to survive in my opinion. But hunger just added a bit of survival to the first part of your game, and after all, you are stranded on an unknown planet, so I would expect some survival elements to be there. However, I think the additions to the food, and the system where you learn new recipes, is awesome. Getting all the ingredients for something and making it is really satisfying.

7. kinoyamizuri

kinoyamizuri Space Hobo

I bought Starbound a little over a year ago, but lost access to my pc shortly afterwards. On my return, a few weeks ago, I was pretty disappointed to see that the hunger system was completely removed from the game, but they added all these new foods. Seems somewhat contradictory to me, not that I don't like the buffs from food, but I liked some of the older survival aspects that were removed, not just hunger, but there used to also be more emphasis on temperature, planets would get colder at night, etc. I'd like to see them bring back some of the survival aspects of Starbound.

shades2000mc and Darklight like this.
  8. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

I still bring food in my travels. I have a fair amount of cooked steak in my hotbar.

I would also love to see more survival aspects of the game(which I know they will put it soon). It would be a little bland to just explore and explore without the aspects of general survivability.I don't want to be a carefree explorer that only kill, explore and loot. I also want to challenge my survivability side in this game. :headbanging:

Darklight likes this.
  9. kinoyamizuri

kinoyamizuri Space Hobo

I find it funny you mention this, cause the only reason I managed to complete "It's Party Time" was through fighting for a minute then fleeing to eat steaks and wait for the cooldown, because I didn't bring enough bandages xD

10. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

Haha. Ration saves life! I also encountered that same situation but when ended badly.

The story is after mining a lot of iron, my greediness took over me.I went deeper to mine more iron and stuffs not knowing that I'm almost out of bandages and food. Long story short, I accidentally fell down ending up with 3 bars of health and on the ground, 2 big mobs appeared and gnawed me to death. The end

11. Mikuel

I actually carry lots of steaks and use them to remove minor damages I take... If I am gonna do something harder, I will grab some special food.

Also, just remembered... isnt there foods those give low gravity buff? Alien fruit was it?

12. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

This will give us more information :poke:http://starbounder.org/Food

13. Phantom Miria

Phantom Miria Phantasmal Quasar

14. MrToni300

MrToni300 Ketchup Robot

No thx, im not gonna use that modification.

Mackinz likes this.
  15. kinoyamizuri

kinoyamizuri Space Hobo

looks interesting..might check it out

16. MrToni300

MrToni300 Ketchup Robot

But GullofDoom wouldn't use that, because he didn't like it AT ALL.

17. Chickendoodles

Chickendoodles Phantasmal Quasar

I can agree with this however I hope they don't just "bring it back." I think it would be the perfect opportunity to add the survival aspects to other difficulties allowing casual explorers and hardened cosmonauts the option of making it harder for themselves.

So for example, for the standard difficulty have just hunger, then the next add temperature in as well, then after that add other effects (Broken bones, fatigue from lack of sleep etc.)

Or they could have an additional menu after selecting a difficulty that allows you to tick off what challenges you would like to have on your new character. Just would like to see some dynamics instead of forcing people to partake in the survival aspect even if they don't want to.

18. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

I dunno why people think food isn't useful. Even playing "good", there are times you just take damage and don't want to use a few bandages to heal yourself - that's why I take Pearlpea Risotto with me, as it is a good source of healing over time, which lets me save my bandages for when I actually need the short-term burst in health regeneration.

shades2000mc likes this.
  19. MMbsman777

MMbsman777 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I would tend to agree with this. Currently, due to the weakness of them and the fact that buffs do not last as long as the well-fed timer.....food is hardly worth the effort besides the initial fun of tracking down ingredients and discovering recipes. Food buffs need balanced if they intend to keep them in. The highest level foods give barely any advantage at all. My guess is that they are somewhat aware of this problem and intend to fix it once the in-game economy is sorted out. Which would make sense, seeing as the economy would be drastically affected if food stuffs buffs were not balanced to account for supply and demand. I have confidence the Chucklefish staff will get there. They have taken care of most of our glaring concerns so far. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. That being said "Hey ChuckleFish team! Make sure you consider making food buffs scale more properly with how difficult the food is to attain."

1nfinitezer0 likes this.
  20. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Not only that, but the food healing effect "stacks" with bandages AND with stimpacks. Hit yourself with all three for a major health boost without having to wait for any cooldowns.

Now, I would like to see them put more strange/beneficial effects into various foods, make them give some better advantages, especially if they're gonna become non-stackable. Aside from the already-existing status changes...
    • Some foods (maybe the Spooky ones?) could make you "invisible", putting you at 50% transparency and making enemies not see you until you're basically in their faces. You're still corporeal and will take damage, but enemies will be a lot less alert. Not so good against bosses who kinda attack randomly anyway.
    • "Super Armor" buff that ups your resilience but drops your speed. For when you want to tank a boss or something.
    • "Smelly" effect that repels enemy mobs, a hazy green cloud surrounding you. Animals will just run, where more intelligent foes will have to back out of melee range, leaving them open for your gun attacks. Of course, this will also send friendly villagers skittering away.
    That's just off-the-cuff stuff, I'm sure a little more thought could produce a host of possible status effects food could imbue (as well as some detrimental ones: bubbly soda could have a chance of causing hiccups, making your character take light hops at random points)