1. These forums have moved. You can find the community for Lenna's Inception on Reddit or joining the developers on Discord.

Large list of feedback and criticism

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Nintendork64, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Nintendork64

Nintendork64 Poptop Tamer

I've been playing this game for a while the past couple days. Although I'm mostly enjoying the game, I have a large bunch of problems with the game. This list is going to focus on those problems rather than what I enjoy about the game, because I think there are a lot of things that could be improved upon:
    • The difficulty starts out a bit too hard and gets too easy by the end, because the rate at which you upgrade yourself is faster than the rate at which enemies and challenges increase in difficulty. This is especially the case with bosses.
    • It would be nice if caves were more organic instead of perfectly squared rooms. They just look and feel like small dungeons and are a bit uninteresting. Also, the later caves can get too long. I stopped going in caves after a certain point because they started to get tedious.
    • The cat boss is a huge pain. Its projectiles never reflect back the way they should and occasionally go straight through your sword.
    • The game feels too much like Link's Awakening. I love the Game Boy Color style and the Zelda feel, but it needs something to distance itself so I don't think of it as a randomly generated Link's Awakening clone.
    • I don't like the overworld music tracks. The tunes aren't memorable, they sound too gloomy to fit the areas, and the instruments remind me more of early internet MIDIs than Game Boy Color chiptunes. The dungeons are a little better, but I still don't like the selection of instruments.
    • I think the sword should slash 45 degrees to each side rather than 0 in one direction and 90 in another. I know it's taking after Link's Awakening, but I considered it a flaw there, too. It's also impossible to slash down and to the left.
    • I don't like the story or writing much:
      • The prophecy and chosen one mentioned early on are cliched and never actually come into play throughout the story. They could be omitted entirely.
      • Killing the entire ursine population went too far, and caused me to stop caring for the characters, figuring they'd all just end up dead anyway. I'm not allowed to post links yet, but take a look at the TvTropes page for Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy.
      • Villains seem to lack motive for doing the things they do. Why have the archangels returned? Why do they kidnap a prince only to kill him anyway? Why is the banker trying to ruin everybody's lives? These aren't explained well.
      • Many lines feel generic, like "THE DOORS ARE LOCKED. THAT MEANS I HAVE TO KILL YOU" and some of the early story and town dialogue. Others just feel weird or out of place, like "Shit, it's game over!".
    • Random NPCs need more lines of dialogue. I'll often find several NPCs that say the exact same thing.
    • Bushes seem awfully generous. It's too easy to get a full stockpile of bombs, arrows, and hearts by going to a large group of bushes and hacking away. Money isn't an issue like the other pickups.
    • The game needs more polish, just in general. Things like the main menu and so many solid-color textures say "beta" to me. I know it's still in beta, but at some point it won't be!
    • I've come across a number of small bugs. I might make another post for them at some point, because there are a quite a few of them, and they're all very minor. I'm still searching for more bugs.
    Sorry if some of these are a bit harsh, but I really do want this game to be great. I love the idea behind it, as well as the style and feel of the gameplay, I just think it needs work.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
      tccoxon likes this.
    • tccoxon

tccoxon Procedurally Generated Programmer

Hey there! I appreciate your honest feedback. Yes, it's definitely a work in progress in need of a good polishing :)

I'm actually been working on the sword arcs this week. Here's a gif of the new swing animation that I recorded earlier today:

[​IMG]

I'm working on the feel of the combat and difficulty currently. I also plan to rewrite the dialogue, change up a few story elements, redo the boss fights, etc.

A couple of months ago I did a pass over the menus, resulting in this (which could be improved further): https://twitter.com/tccoxon/status/607292398234927104

It's been a long time since beta7. Beta8 is going to have a lot of improvements, not least of which is the new art style: http://lennasinception.com/spooky-graveyards/

I should post about what I'm working on more often.

Dunto and Nintendork64 like this.
      • SolarFlar3

SolarFlar3 Space Hobo

I just played the game and agree with everything on this list. When is the next version coming? I understand it will probably fix a lot of the problems on the list but we can't do any testing of content that isn't released. Not all of the new art needs to be done before it is released. Also is there an FAQ? I feel like a lot of my questions are typical ones that would be answered in a section like that.

• tccoxon

tccoxon Procedurally Generated Programmer

The best place to check the current status is on the blog. I wrote an update a few weeks ago that details the current state. There have been a few changes since then, and I'm planning to write another post with the current plan for beta8 soon.