Modding Discussion Large Colony Ship

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Kinsem, Aug 27, 2016.

?

Are you interested in watching a stream of the project on Beam on Sundays?

1. Yes

33.3%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe

16.7%
  4. Just finish the damn thing!

50.0%
  1. Mirau

Mirau Pangalactic Porcupine

As someone who has made custom NPCs for instances before - it's not hard at all! :) For real Kinsem - if you would like me to help with any part of this just shoot me a PM. Wouldn't want to waste any potential.

2. Kinsem

Kinsem Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I plan on it. Right now i am going to concentrate on getting the rest of the ship outline done and then start play testing as i add in the details and objects.

Mirau likes this.
  3. Ledhead

Ledhead Phantasmal Quasar

I am interesting in what tools you use to accomplish this, as I really hate the Nova Kid Train haha.

4. TomDoto

TomDoto Void-Bound Voyager

This looks awesome! Keep on going!

5. Kinsem

I am currently using Photoshop 6, been using it for well over 10 years now.

6. Ledhead

Oh okay I was more referring to ship template tools I used to see for layout management before photoshop, I have photoshop cc 2016 currently.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

7. Kinsem

I have done everything in photoshop from scratch and have each ship tier on its own layer.

Sent from my phone at work.

Ledhead likes this.
  8. Ledhead

Was just checking if you used any other tools, I knew photoshop was one and some people, like me would also have a dedicated pixel art tool this would come in handy for the actual engine image to read what the rooms of the ship are.

Just I saw a ship generator tool pre 1.0 release now it's outdated but it did the layout work for you all you had to do was imoort your images for the tiers and draw where you wanted rooms and things.

9. Kinsem

Nope doing it the hard way. If i need to test an animation I just port images over to imageready to make sure everything looks right, but other than that everything else is done with photoshop. Also as a correction I am using photoshop 7 not 6 but I have a copy of both.

Mirau likes this.
  10. Ledhead

If you can make this work for novakid and the tiernine mod I'll probably use this shop I hate the train

11. Kinsem

I am planning on having support for the tier9 mod and as for novakid support that shouldn't be an issue.

Ledhead likes this.
  12. Kinsem

Ok so if I am able to get what I need to get done tonight here at work I should have Saturday off. If so I am planning on doing a big push to get the basics done for tier's 5 thru 8 finished tonight. This will allow me to start finalizing the captains chair the tech console and tje fuil hatch to start play testing and start adding in the finer details.
    I am hoping Mirau will be able to help with getting everyready for testing once I finish the basic layouts

Ledhead likes this.
  13. Ledhead

Looking promising, when you have spare time after your done I'd love any assets you have for blocking out the ships. Been meaning to overhaul the vanilla ships packed with the tiernine mod patch as really I just wanted to edit the color of the ships and re organise the space into something more usable so probably larger rooms all round instead of lots of small sectors.

The main one I wanted to a change was the train the train itself isn't bad but the carriages layout sucks I would want too have the carriages be different styles in general and better room layout without the separation sections. Personally I just don't like the train it's long and doesn't offer any routing options for players.

Unfortunately I'm too lazy to try and maintain the look of a ship through all the stages and it I'd love help in how exactly you maintain each tier.

This all said it is probably easier when you are making it from scratch because you can duplicate the last tier and add to it or subtract from it.

14. Kinsem

Well good news. I have Saturday off so time to buckle down and get this ship done.

Edit: I put a poll up as I am thinking of streaming while I work on the project.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    Mirau and Ledhead like this.
  15. Kinsem

So im plugging along at the layout for the ship and this decides its time for me to stop and goto bed.

20160910_054751.jpg

16. Kinsem

Ok, so I have finished the tier 5 and 6 parts of the ship and did a quick and dirty copy/past of them for tier's 7 and 8 so that I I can get an idea for how massive this ship is going to be. I have also started to add in finer details to the inside of the ship as well. For the blue paneling I have in the habitat modules and the farming modules, I plan on adding some hills and trees to them along with some clouds while still maintaining the paneled look. I just need to figure out how I want the hills to look and what kind of trees I want to have painted the panels.

colony-ship-wip-a.png

I feel that I am getting close to a point where I can start working on the bare essentials for the objects so I can start play testing.

As Always I would appreciate comments and suggestions on the progress made thus far.

17. Ledhead

Looking good man, could you add a medical room? And what are your thoughts on Frackin Universe. I can. Probably change those myself.

18. Kinsem

So I dove into the assets for the vanilla parallaxes and after a lot of editing and fiddling with everything I came up with this for the habitat and farming modules:

tiers-5and6-bg-a.png
    One of the plans I have for the crew service module (tier 4) is to have a medical center. Also in regards to FU I personally use it, and one day I may make a patch to add in FU support to the ship. That said, I am a long ways away from being able to do that as I am still learning the whole modding thing and I want to get everything I have already planned for the ship finished first.

Mirau and Ledhead like this.
  19. Ledhead

If you need hand with FU integration let me know I do a bit of handy work for the dev team of the mod now and then. I also have Vanilla unpacked and FU.

On the note of parallax I don't really like the current one atm I think tree background on a ship is bit much, I mean it looks now as though you have a habitat on the ship bit the ship obviously wouldn't support tree plantations so unless you make those room three or four story's to support sampling growth which would be cool, for scale and aesthetics you may be better off making your own parallax from plants grown from seeds.

Hopefully this came across right.

20. Kinsem

Each plate in the background is an average of 5 tiles high by 8 tiles wide, so the habitat module parallax is 31 tiles high, also the black area will be covered in dirt with the topmost layer will be sod blocks.
    The farming module is 21 tiles but the bottom layer will be filled in with dirt blocks for growing crops on so in reality its 20 tiles high of usable area.
    On that note I can still make adjustments at this point to allow for tree growth in the farming modules, I just need to know the min height needed for growing standard trees.