LAN Multiplayer

Discussion in 'Other' started by Jamac, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Forb.Jok

Forb.Jok Big Damn Hero

Seeing as the exact same software and network protocols are used when connecting to a server on the local LAN and an external server elsewhere on the internet, there will be no difference other than higher latency to the server for anyone not in its local network. I don't think the desync issues in Terraria have anything to do with whether or not you run a LAN server or not - they are more likely just bugs in the client/server protocol implementation that will happen regardless.

Active Link likes this.
  2. Toyking10

Toyking10 Void-Bound Voyager

Its a must have

3. NoLimit

NoLimit Intergalactic Tourist

All I would ask is they add a bind ip to the cofig file or a command line option.

4. crazygamer2255

crazygamer2255 Phantasmal Quasar

I can 100% guarantee that lan will be implemented at some point in the future, it only makes sense, and the devs would be fools not to... and i don't think they are fools...

Twig Arcane Empires likes this.
  5. Witiko88

Witiko88 Seal Broken

so from what i know it can be done in game already, but for what i see when running the game is that to set up a basic LAN game you have to do quiet a bit of work.
    Though i may seem like i am being lazy (and i kind of am being lazy) when you buy a game that brings up multiplayer as a highlight, it shouldn't be that hard to implement it. Minecraft does a wonderful job at this kinda, it is easy to set up and it is also easy to realize how to do it, With the way this game is set up right now you have to really know what you are doing to make it work or you have to go find a tutorial and follow what it says to do. I love this game i want to point that out, if the creators don't want to add this then please make a youtube channel or something similar and post a video talking about how to set something like that up. When i got the game i bought a four pack on steam, when my friends were over. It was disappointing getting the game and then not being able to play together right then and there.
    This is one of the best suggestions i have seen so far and as far as i can tell is something the devs should take into consideration.

6. Threule

Threule Big Damn Hero

Sadly, Lan has its pros and cons. While we want to think is it gonna be used in a household, some brothers and their friends doing a LAN party, we all know it'll be used for piracy.

7. Witiko88

Witiko88 Seal Broken

that may be true but you don't want to end up being like EA and simscity.
    i mean look at spore, it can only be downloaded three times per copy you buy, this is to prevent piracy, and in turn it is one of the most pirated games of all time. And they way the multiplayer works now i can o torrent a copy of it and give it to my friend and We could play multiplayer. It would be done the same exact way you would by owning the game, LAN would really make no difference.

8. AsgerRud

AsgerRud Void-Bound Voyager

How about a serverlist like in CS:S or Gmod? Pretty simple and funtional with the option to find LAN games.

9. Witiko88

Witiko88 Seal Broken

That would work fine, a lot of games have something like that, the only thing is that they would have to completely change the way you set up a server. The reason i brought up minecraft is that the way you set up a server in that game is very similar to how you set up a server in this game. So even though I personally think your way would be better for everyone, the devs would have to change the way making a server works entirely which could be a huge deal, but it would make things much easier for everyone else, and it would set this game ahead of the games it is competing with.
    I may be wrong about this however, i am saying this from what i have seen, set up and understand myself, please correct me if i am wrong.

10. Threule

Threule Big Damn Hero

If they do this, please get it deactivated by default. Many people just set up servers to play with his friends

11. Witiko88

Witiko88 Seal Broken

no, look at games like unreal 2004 or orion:dino hoard. they have a wonderful system for this sort of thing.
    many other games as well those are just the ones that came to mind.

12. Threule

Threule Big Damn Hero

Is not the same a game that matters what is in a planet than a game that has maps. I don't want, and I think many people too, that random people get in my servers, rape my planetsand then go.
    You cant fuck an UT game because they are just maps, not block sandbox games.

13. Witiko88

Witiko88 Seal Broken

You understand that lan only works when you are on the same network, right?
    Do you have password on your internet?
    Because if you do then no one you didn't let onto your internet would be able to join. That's why a lot of people use lan, that and because its easy to set up.

14. Witiko88

Witiko88 Seal Broken

Also is english not your first language?
    Because that post has so many problems...

15. yeth_hound

yeth_hound Intergalactic Tourist

I was going to suggest this myself. One of my friends has seen how much farming and such i've been doing in preperation to make my awesome fortress lair, but he'll never be able to see it unless they make a multiplayer that isn't server exclusive.

16. AsgerRud

AsgerRud Void-Bound Voyager

If that's what people want why deactivate it by default?

17. Threule

Threule Big Damn Hero

Because you are obligating people to make their server public. And dont tell me "you can put a pass".
    If you want your server to be public, activate the option.

18. Zjordo

Zjordo Void-Bound Voyager

I think this would be awsome when i would be at school when they block every single thing ever

19. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Probably because you should be doing your work instead of playing games.