LAN Multiplayer

Discussion in 'Other' started by Jamac, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Jamac

Jamac Orbital Explorer

There aren't many games that do this, but the ones that do have an extra bit of great functionality. I am not sure if this was a planned feature or not, but I feel that it should be. People playing should have the ability to open the game they are playing to LAN so that people on their network can join and play. This would allow family members, roommates, neighbors, and friends in the same place at the same time to play the game together without having to find a server that might have other people on it, or having to pay for a server of their own. I guess using the suggestions system we will see how many people really care about this system, but I haven't seen it suggested yet, at least not in the category I think it probably belongs in. So, does anyone else agree that this would be a good feature?

2. SuggestionsBot

SuggestionsBot Autonomous Posting Device

Thanks for submitting a new suggestion!

Please remember to give your opinion on this suggestion by voting on our suggestions page.

3. IronLotus

IronLotus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You don't have to pay for a server...you can set up a 5 person server for free with hamachi. Although I think that this would be great as it takes out the hassle of creating a server.

4. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I think LAN multiplayer is already in the game, or has at least been considered. I'd love to see it implemented.

5. PurpleSquirel43

PurpleSquirel43 Pangalactic Porcupine

Yes, because this is mainly how I play with my brother.

6. Dag_Killer

Dag_Killer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I am pretty sure that setting up a server will allow people networked with you to join. There's no reason for that not to happen.

The only issue that I personally can see is the fact I can't have two copies of a game for me and my brother. If you have money to buy two copies everything should probably work properly provided that somebody hosts the server.

ggh325 likes this.
  7. greenskye

greenskye Pangalactic Porcupine

It's already really easy to do this in Terraria. You don't even have to open any ports. Just launch the server.exe application and type in the ip address of the computer it's being hosted on. Assuming that Starbound does something similar it shouldn't be too hard.

Unless you're asking for the client to scan for servers on your network. Which would make things easier and be a nifty feature. But you don't need to mess with Hamachi or port forwarding if you're just doing a LAN game.

8. Zet0r

Zet0r Twenty-three is number one

Or you could open the port for your router to allow more than 5 friends, less lag (hamachi has a quite slow speed), and everyone both LAN and across the globe. Just use a password or whitelist for protection.

As to the suggestion itself, I'm pretty sure that if you host any server for any game, LAN-connected players can join as if it's an actual LAN-Server. Just make sure to use an un-opened port, and it's restricted to LAN. And if the port is opened, set a password or another port. But of course it's nice to have extra LAN functionality.

And if you pay for a server, you're really paying people to do whatever you could just do for free yourself. They run the same program as you to host the server, so you can just download that and it's free. The only perks in renting is the most likely faster Internet speed, potentially stronger computer and 24/7 uptime.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  9. F-ranko

F-ranko Heliosphere

I think I saw something somewhere that said the game will probably have LAN Multiplayer. Man, now I need to find that >_>
    And even without the in-game option to play LAN, you can still play LAN Multiplayer fairly easily using your computer's IP.

10. IronLotus

IronLotus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It doesn't matter because I don't even HAVE 5 friends :c

11. If you can host servers the way you do already with Terraria you can LAN, it's simple as host in your machine and share with your network. Since the servers doesn't require any online connections to something.

Katzeus and F-ranko like this.
  12. Kaosis

Kaosis Void-Bound Voyager

I love how minecraft does it, i hope this is in the game for Starbound

AndrewTheKi11er likes this.
  13. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

You know this is already in the game, as long as it doesn't restrict it purposely, you know?

14. claudekennilol

claudekennilol Space Kumquat

This is definitely already in the game. We've seen bart (or tiy, or someone) punching in localhost to join a server (while this isn't specifically LAN, you just need the address there in place of localhost).

15. Forb.Jok

Forb.Jok Big Damn Hero

I seem to recall they've said that it will be possible to host your own server, just like with Terraria and Minecraft.
    Assuming this is true, there is really no difference between setting up a server locally in your network and connecting to it, than connecting to a public online server, since exactly the same protocols (TCP, or in some cases UDP, over IP) are used for either.

16. Cozza LIVE

Cozza LIVE Void-Bound Voyager

This would be an amazing feature in the game! To play with friends at a single house or at school (when were meant to be doing work :p) Defiantly needs to be included!

17. elementaldragon

elementaldragon Industrial Terraformer

i like this idea becuase on a muilti player sever the person could just guess the password. :ninja:

18. Lila

Lila Phantasmal Quasar

All games with a dedicated server automatically support LAN play. Just run the server application on a computer on your network, then connect to it using the ip address of that computer, no need to forward ports or anything.

19. Rhyem

Rhyem Intergalactic Tourist

Well in terraria sometimes hosted servers (even with hamachi) dosent fuction properly and glitches out movement and block ticking and a whole lot of fuctions that it is even worse then lagging and some players may also encounter warping around Well i hope that the dev of starbound gives some time in server dedication

20. Twig Arcane Empires

Twig Arcane Empires Sandwich Man

LAN multiplayer ftw!