1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Lamia Race Mod 0.9.2

Snakes on a Spaceship

1. Antyrus

Antyrus Pangalactic Porcupine

I've admitted this like three times, and I think you probably caught on already, but yeah this mod was literally started by the train of thought, "You know, I bet I could smash these two sprites together"
    As for your "replace any legs with snake legs" idea, I don't think it's possible right now. It'd be hella easy if any piece of armor could utilize the masking layer that hats/helms have, but for some reason the devs decided to make that feature head only.
    one of these days I'm gonna genuinely look into this but today is not that day
    Post me a download link with all the files you've done so far and I'll see what I can do about making a patch built-in and giving you credit for the edits

As much as I would like to properly detail the ship, at this point I'd rather not. Ship spriting is my least favorite thing, and now that I've more or less finished all the legwork, I have no desire to make more edits than necessary.
    Although If I had been thinking at the time, I could definitely could have replaced the default thruster sprites with a single thruster that utilizes a slithering tail animation and based the ship on that, but nah, I'll think about redoing the ship when I go into the culture phase(that is to say, I'll think about it later)

It's supposed to be a ring that sort of circles the ship; the blue pieces(which are on most of the other ships) I've always interpreted to be the FTL warp drive panels, so I wanted to put them on somehow, and this was the first way I found that didn't make it look like a fish.
    I plan on doing settlements after I do the next update. Which basically means I get to think about cultural stuff earlier than I wrote previously in this post.
    Yeah, the wave sword(and all those other broadswords) were mostly just experimental. That one specifically uses Hokucide's ability, which doesn't naturally do damage, and doesn't cost any energy; I guess I forgot to change it.
    The main reason I haven't posted this mod to steam is because I didn't want to subject the masses of steam to the ship changing shenanigans, but once I decide the ship is adequate I'll go and post it there.

Mod News:
    I hate ship spriting
    next update will be as soon as I add the finishing touches to the current ship(VERY soon)
    next update will include recruitable tenants, but not villages; will be available through some placeholder furniture
    Other news:
    In about a week I'm gonna be real busy working a seasonal job for about a month or two, so don't be surprised if I drop off the radar for a while
    full body scale patch may be available in the future, alongside a partial scale patch that I have yet to sprite
    superscale.png
    click spoiler for a peek into the Very Far Future

who are they, tho?
    whodistho.png

2. SunnyBrightside

SunnyBrightside Subatomic Cosmonaut

Okay, so this took me a few. If I did everything right, in this mediafire link I've got basically the EBS version of the humanoid file and the item file from the mod. There were a few liberties that I took on some of the armors (trying to fit the new body was interesting on some of them). I haven't had a chance to really TEST them, though, I've basically just edited the armor sprites, the only testing I've been able to do is with the Tier 1 set (it didn't seem to have any problems, though).

Now, as a note, all of the "Chestf" files are the EBS version, I've kept the old, non-ebs files (Labeled "Non-EBS), and there were a few that I added a "revealing" version, basically a lower cut (dunno how those look, I think it was tier 4 and Tier 5 accelerator) Tier 8 was probably the easiest, but saddest one, just because there wasn't much to add (It's so big!)

so, here's the link, I'd test to make sure all the armors work correctly, send pics of anomalies, and I'll try to fix them: http://www.mediafire.com/download/kstrs866gj9yq99/EBS_Lamia_Race.zip

Maybe if I get this working, and I have the gumption, I'll also do this for EEBS, but since I, personally, don't use that version of the mod, I can't say I will.

EDIT: Ooooh! I'm liking the Drider look as well!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  3. baconsama25

baconsama25 Cosmic Narwhal

Hey it's all right, real life is much more important.

Also, any ways we could change the character after you do the scales and everything else without starting a new one? And would shipworld change imply in the loss of the save?But if it's yes for both due to how the game works, I won't blame you either.

By the way, the harpy sprite looks great! Spider's not bad either.

4. Antyrus

The only major sprite errors I've found were in the tier 1 garter armor(crouching sprite needed to be shifted left 1 pixel) and in the tier 3 coral armor(whole sheet needed to be shifted right 1 pixel). The coral set and the mamba set were originally gender neutral, so I had to fix the .chest file to get them to work properly.

I can't find a way to include the files in the base mod AND have them not be active unless EBS is installed without crashing the game, so It's probably gonna have to be a standalone patch mod. If you're comfortable uploading and maintaining it yourself, feel free to do so, but if not tell me and I can do it. Also:
    here's a working proper mod zip: http://www.mediafire.com/download/4r4zrwdi2rrsnkn/Lamia_Race_EBS.zip
    These have all the problems I mentioned above fixed since they were easy fixes and you can use this as a base if you want to upload the mod yourself
    As mentioned above, this will cause starbound to crash unless both Lamia Race and EBS are installed.

It kinda depends on which scale level you want/how many you want ingame/how I decide to implement the patch.
    If you only want one scaliness level, it's easy enough to just swap the base humanoid file for the new one, and viola! you have more scales. The one exception is for full scaly, because since scale color and skin color are the same thing, I changed scale color to skin color(was undy color) and changed undy color to belly color. What's actually interesting is that as a side effect of using one race tag for both normal and full scaly is that when I switched back form full scale to normal, the character(who is pictured above) not only still existed but actually retained her changed belly color, albeit having only the default skin color. This means that while you can definitely switch scaliness for a given character, some color options will be locked out when switching between normal/partial scale and full scale(belly color will always be yellow for a created normal/partial scaled character, while skin color will always be white for a created full scaled character. Scale color will always be what you picked at creation.)
    Although now that I think about it, I can get fix it so that belly color is equivalent to skin color, so that point will be moot by the time I decide what I'm gonna do about the patch.
    If you want multiple scaliness levels to be portrayed ingame(which honestly seems unnecessary at this point), then I'd have to make multiple races(subspecies?) and implement them all. This means you'd have to make a new character in order to change scales.

The ship changing wouldn't actually break a save, but it would royally mess up your shipworld visually. The main problem is that I can't warn people on steam about this because updates are downloaded automatically, and due to how files are managed on the workshop I can't help them fix it.
    On the other hand, I currently have zero plans to change the ship layout at this point because ship spriting makes me lose the will to live, so expect a steam upload shortly after the upcoming update.

5. SunnyBrightside

Mmh, just some shift issues, which, honestly, I'm going to take as a win, since it was my first time editing anything for starbound, I might be able to keep it up, but I wanna wait for a more finalized version of this mod before I release and patch mod for EBS. It doesn't feel right to release a mod for a mod that isn't completely nailed down yet design wise. ALSO (and I just realized this) There MAY have been some edited faces in those files as well, forgot I had to make Starface compatible with this mod as well (so if the face looked different, that's why)

EDIT: Also, as a side note, add the new folder to the mods folder, don't replace everything >.>...

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  6. Antyrus

Antyrus updated Lamia Race Mod with a new update entry:

Ship Art and Tenants

Read the rest of this update entry...

7. l4ng4m

l4ng4m Orbital Explorer

Sssnaakeysnsakaakeeyy!

8. baconsama25

Ohh, I was testing the endgame-tier weapons, and all of them need to have their damage at least halved IMO (and the recipes should be at least twice as expensive too). Except the hydra, I find the main attack somewhat reasonable, but the special can hit-kill any non-boss.

Plus I find the Lamia Cleaver special to be too common, and despite being shown as legendary and being crafted at violium-tier, it's level 1 and has a 500 base value.

Also, ship seems to have fit in well :D

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  9. Antyrus

Yeah, I definitely need to do some balancing. The Ouroboros chakram in particular is a little ridiculous because even though I made it two handed to offset its huge hitbox and power, you can actually have multiple in the air at once, and I absolutely shredded the ruin. Like, time to kill was less than 15 seconds.
    The cleaver was mostly just an experiment(adding a hammer special to a sword, upgrading weapon), but yeah, it could use some tweaking

I guess now would be a good time to balance all that stuff, maybe add some more weapons and clothes, do some general cleanup and look into cultural themes before I launch into the next big project of village generation

Coincidentally, how do you feel about the whips? I've always felt that the vanilla whips were too weak because they are the only weapon type to rely on true precision(whips only deal damage to a single point(I mean, they can do damage across the whole whip, but this is only utilized on the energy whip(I might have done that for the python whip? I forget))).

10. baconsama25

The whips are mostly well balanced, same for the pistols, just need to have a more expensive recipe ( such as the double of materials or so) and cut 15~25% of the damage, but as for the whips I only tested the phyton, and it does damage to the whole line as well, but the proportion seem reasonable. Garterchackram and the rattlesnake chackram do have a somewhat balanced recipe, but could do with a damage cut as well. Another thing is that, if you throw a chackram, morph and "unmorph" quickly you can throw the chackram again, so for instance I've managed to put on screen 3 Orobouros at the same time, but I really think it's a vanilla bug ( never tested with vanilla chackrams yet), I dunno if that's how what you meant by having many at the screen at once, though.

Why don't you make an weapon based on Medusa? And shields would be neat as well ( say one that applies poison/does physical damage to the enemy on a perfect block).

By the way, the sitting animations are great, but the sleeping one doesn't fit well due to the tail being uplift, but that's a minor detail. Also really liking how you're using many cultures for naming items and etc, that's a great point of your mod!

11. SunnyBrightside

To be completely honest... I don't really like the idea of having racial weapons attached to the mod unless all races get them.. Which I haven't checked... Wait, do all races get the Lamia weapon recipes? If so, then just balancing them is what's needed, if not, then they should, just to be fair... That is if/until the vanilla races get their own racial weapons back. It's a nice idea, maybe make a great sister mod to this one, and it's great to have them being worked on and tested now... But it's not quite fair to the other races that this one gets awesome weapons and they don't...

But, then again, it's not quite fair to the other races that this one is just so awesome anyway, so what am I talking about, yea?

baconsama25 likes this.
  12. togekiss

togekiss Orbital Explorer

Hey I installed it and the armor is in there but I cant select the lamia race in the creation screen??

13. Antyrus

1. What other mods are you running?
    2. Are you running a version of Starbound older than 1.0?

Actually, no, I was referring to the fact that you can put 3 individual chakram in your hotbar and switch between them since the chakram doesn't come back immediately when you switch weapons, but this morphball exploit is far worse since you only need one chakram. It also appears to be a vanilla bug, as it works with the neo chakram; It's just that the neo chakram comes back by the time you're done unmorphing so it isn't functionally that bad compared to the oroborous chakram(note: the oroborous chakram used the neo chakram as a base)

The problem is that the sleeping animation uses one of the standing frames, and I never figured out how to change that. This was actually one of the first things I tried to fix before I even released the mod but gave up on and forgot entirely. Now that I remember, I'll give it another look-see

I'll consider it, since that should be a really easy patch

14. BeckyRAT

BeckyRAT Astral Cartographer

I've been watching this for a while now and I'm wanting the mod... but I'm kinda holding out cause the non-steam mods don't play well with these for some reason. Hopefully that was just the one mod, but damn, man. I LOVE what you've done so far and I'm liking that preview of the all white one. Would there be any chance you'd do Yuin-Ti as well? Snake 'anthros' are neat and I love Naga/Lamia creatures, way to much. xD

15. Senpai Deviljo

Senpai Deviljo Cosmic Narwhal

Non-steams mods works well and i perfer them non-steam. So i can easially change some files with others to help each other.

16. XelSlime

XelSlime Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well... nothing's stopping a mod from being both, of course. I mean I uploaded my Slime Race Mod in the Workshop, and on this site as a zipped folder. Both work fine together for my friends and I, and it'd be awesome to see all the extra attention this Lamia Race Mod would get if it was done.

What do you think, Antyrus? It'd get this great creation noticed and used a lot more, and I could see it dominating the front page for quite a while.

Plus, it's kinda sad a lot of people miss out on things like this just 'cause they prefer the subscription method, though with not having to re-download when an update arrives, I guess I can understand why.

17. Antyrus

There's really no rational reason I haven't posted it to steam. Expect it FOR REALSIES next update at the latest(maybe before then, but definitely then)
    I'm pretty sure I said I would do it as soon as I finished the ship and I lied I'm sorry
    Actual progress update:
    I've got the full-scale(here-in known as Naga) patch 100% functional. It simply replaces all the humanoid sprites.
    There's also a Naga Race patch that adds a separate playable race, but that's it(no extra NPCs atm).
    Expect to see those in the next update, probably as a .zip within the main .zip because that's the most intuitive way to include them without it taking effect immediately and without making another mod page(dunno how I'll do it when I finally port to steam, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.)
    Made a new fully functional placeholder ship pet, the cockatrice, just for fun(he looks like a big mutant chicken because he IS a big mutant chicken)
    bigatrice.gif
    This is still a WIP, and even then it's just a placeholder until I find a better pet idea.
    I've added some new clothes, among which are a blank cape, a transparent shirt, and a shirt with harpy wings.
    I've been looking at improving the jump animation, but right now I still prefer the old to the new.
    I've also been attempting to balance weapons.
    I've also got Tiled up and running, so maybe I can get some towns/dungeons in when I've got some more free time.
    Finally, if anybody finds mod conflicts, please tell me at the very least which mods you're using so I can either fix it or put a warning on the mod page.

18. Alpha_StevO

Alpha_StevO Phantasmal Quasar

A mythological pet for a mythological race sounds pretty rad with me, but it feels a lil' TOO chicken too me; I'd personally slap a dragonic tail and some bat-like wings on it. Maybe some horns?

19. XelSlime

XelSlime Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hehe. That pet makes me think of Kellogg's Corn Flakes.

Oh wait, I got it. What if their ship pet was a cockatrice? Would that feel like a good fit?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  20. Senpai Deviljo

Senpai Deviljo Cosmic Narwhal

lol i was thinking of that mythology animal when i saw the chicken.