1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Lamest Thing About Your First Planet

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by pop-yotheweird, Aug 3, 2015.

1. pop-yotheweird

pop-yotheweird Ketchup Robot

ITT tell everyone why your first planet sucked horrendously

mine has perpetual acid rain storm all the time, go random universe creation! I've only walked a couple paces so who knows, there could be something even more terrible later on. but this is where the game left me. I must explore it.

so then, what's yours?

edit: OH IT'S A SEWAGE PLANET HOW FUN AND EXCITING

2. Partonetrain

Partonetrain Phantasmal Quasar

In Nightly, the starter planet is always radioactive.
    That's pretty lame if you ask me.
    It's intentional, though, and I opted into it....

3. pop-yotheweird

that seems rather counter-productive.

also, this thread just lost all of its splendor. thanks, guy.

4. Wyrmstar

Wyrmstar Void-Bound Voyager

It's because they were working on that biome recently. In the nightly build they keep changing the starting planet to the biome they are updating at that time. It's just easy access for them while they are making changes.

Dunto likes this.
  5. pop-yotheweird

oh. that makes sense. been out of the loop for a while, figured I'd just wing it.
    and then acid rain killed me repeatedly. lessons to be learned.

6. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Yeah, Nightly is never going to be "safe". It's not for playing a normal game, it's for testing out new features to be integrated into a Stable update. It's gonna be broken and weird.

Dunto likes this.
  7. TrueEdge

TrueEdge Phantasmal Quasar

The mineshaft was literally on the opposite side of the planet.

8. Landwatch

Landwatch Scruffy Nerf-Herder

My dirt is a horrible shade of green-brown.

9. pop-yotheweird

that's fine, I don't mind the broken nature of it. I just wish I could actually test all these cool things without deathspamming the game for a while lol.

10. The Treasure Ship

The Treasure Ship Void-Bound Voyager

Way back when, very early on in the game's development, they made an update that either added meteor showers or changed how they worked. I began playing about the same time this update went live, and my first planet became a reenactment of dinosaur D-Day.

STCW262 and pop-yotheweird like this.
  11. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

Sounds fun honestly

12. kisspower12

kisspower12 Phantasmal Quasar

I'm not actually sure if this was added in the game intentionally or not. However, my first planet took me 4 total hours to get to the plant's core for exactly 20 core fragments. xD
    Ah, already got my moneys worth!! Haha!!

pop-yotheweird likes this.
  13. haynesy566

haynesy566 Heliosphere

I spawned in and fell all the way to the bottom of my planet (there was a huge cavern) Dont even know how that was possible but yeah kinda made me cry

kisspower12 likes this.
  14. duicklefish

duicklefish Great Scott!

I had a hard time getting silver on my first planet, and there just wasn't a lot of coal generated near where I beamed down. I'm not sure if hit detection is any better these days, but whenever a monster spawned it'd knock me into a wall and I'd have to mine with my ineffective manipulator to get out. So I built up a little base, but I was itching to leave, so I did all the quests and the penguin army came and trashed everything, and I still couldn't leave because I had to defeat the penguins... so I called them a few more times and finally I thought I could go... I can't remember if I couldn't find fuel for the ship, or if I just didn't realize space technology runs on burning logs, but I hung around farming and freezing until someone told me how to leave, and then I did.

This was back ages ago though.

15. VarekRaith

VarekRaith Phantasmal Quasar

It's always raining.
    Always.
    What is this, ForgeCraft 2???
    :iswydt:

16. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

a while ago back in the koala versions I was doing a hardcore run, got pummeled by meteors... oh well, that was starbound at the time. I started a new character and got pummeled again within the first 30 seconds, now thats annoying. started a third guy and spawned AT THE VERY BOTTOM OF AN ASTEROID FIELD (instant death) needless to say that guy didnt survive longer than 10 seconds, all 10 of those seconds being on the ship

17. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Write /admin .

18. Broconut

Broconut Cosmic Narwhal

I remember I made a character in version Angry Koala :koala: and the starter planet was a toxic plains biome that had constant acid rain. Needless to say, I deleted that character and made a new one since it was nearly impossible to get anything done at the surface level. Oh, and another one of my character's had meteor showers on their home planet, but I didn't know until after I had built a house. That poor Apex didn't even see it coming. I rage quit after that lol. :fireball:

19. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Man, worst thing on my home planet was the USCM prison like three screens to the left of warp-point where I'd built my house... that I didn't discover for like weeks? Thank goodness the prisoners didn't wander outside.

I was very much in a "one planet and hole up" mindset at first, and decades of Mario-style games had conditioned me to go right. Always go right. Right is right. So as I explored (to the right) and built up my stuff, retreating to my hole in the ground, the untouched prison stood there to the left...

...which I eventually noticed then over time killed everyone inside it and incorporated it into a massive build that I was so happy with I'm rebuilding the entire damn prison on my Giraffe-build homeworld to recreate it.

20. Chapel

Chapel Void-Bound Voyager

My first planet is an ice planet. As soon as I beam down, I start taking damage, and die within seconds. And it's SO cold, the campfire doesn't even protect me.

That's the same for all different test characters I just made. Always an ice planet.

Can't get to the core, obviously, to repair my thrusters. So my entire game experience right now is my busted-ass ship... and 10 seconds or so on an ice planet before I succumb to the elements.

Yay.