Lake Planets

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by JoftheTman, Jan 31, 2017.

1. JoftheTman

JoftheTman Void-Bound Voyager

Basically a hybrid between ocean planets and swamp biomes. Perhaps they will form geographically different than the typical ocean planet, with larger islands that extend further underwater, possibly even meeting the floor. The planet would act as a fisherman's paradise, with small fishing villages scattering the islands. The villages would probably contain all main races, and it might even include some Froggs or two. The buildings would consist of small wooden homes, shops, and docks that extend into the water. The fishermen would give fishing tips, and tell fisherman's tales of "A great horned beast that calls icy seas home" or "A peculiar fish that seemed to find something very funny" and they could even sell fishing gear. Perhaps shops could sell furniture items to make the perfect fish tank. Of course, this fishing based planet would of course add, new fish! I'm thinking Starbound's take on freshwater fish. Think, "The strangest episode of River Monsters you've ever seen." I don't have many ideas for fish, but I'm pretty sure Chucklefish could think of some more. In case you can't tell I really like fishing in Starbound and really need an excuse to expand my aquarium. But be wary! The uninhabited islands are home to alien-crocodile-monsters! Or maybe alien-crayfish-monsters! I'm not quite sure. Just some type of new monster. The seafloor would be more dirt and mud than sand, and as for structures, perhaps what looks to be flooded towns, or maybe short, pre-generated caves with chests. Chests would contain typical loot, alongside maybe regular fishing rods, a fisherman's clothing set, fishing-based furniture blueprints to make a home for fisherman tenants. Maybe items like a mounted fish,tackle box chest, fishing-bobber lamp, etc. This is an entirely speculative rare loot for these planets, a fishing net. It functions as a downgraded, early-game Relocator, but it only holds one creature, and it only works on fish. (All kinds but the hostile kind. The critter kind, procedurally generated kind, and caught-with-a-fishing-rod kind all work) Overall, it wouldn't be too difficult a planet, maybe even showing up in gentle star systems before you graduate up to big-boy ocean planets. I feel like two out of four of the ocean planets have no real purpose other than fishing. (Magma oceans are nearly impossible to navigate, and if you do manage to navigate them, you'll get no rewards. Arctic oceans, while easier to navigate than toxic oceans, are just empty ocean planets) Adding an ocean planet with a set purpose, introducing and teaching the player fishing, would be a nice addition. And I really like fishing more of that please also.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017