Question Lab grown meat - vegan, vegetarian or even fruitarian?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cupa, Aug 11, 2016.

?

Imagine you have lab-grown meat. Would it be vegetarian or even vegan?

Poll closed Aug 18, 2016.
  1. Neither

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Vegetarian

20.0%
  3. Vegan

40.0%
  4. Fruitarian

20.0%
  5. Not interested

20.0%
  1. Cupa

Cupa Pangalactic Porcupine

Greetings everyone,
    Let's talk about something ethical here!

You may have heard about lab grown meat - basically meat, that is grown in labs where almost no part comes from a living animal. Now, let's discuss if this meat could be vegetarian. Or... even vegan.

2. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

I would think it would be vegan, but i don't want to push labels onto vegans/vegetarians who are against it, so i would listen to what they have to say first.

3. Cupa

It's about your own opinion. But I would like to hear why you would rate it as vegan? :)

4. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

Because i imagine vegans care more about whether an animal is hurt than they do about the actual eating of meat.

5. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

I must say that's a very interesting question... However, I can't really argue due to my lack of knowledge on the subject.

6. Cupa

It is basically meat that is grown in a lab, from a group of normal flesh-cells. In the process, the meat grows in the lab, without the use of any "animal". This is the main part behind this rather philosophical question: Is it vegan if it dosn't come from a animal in the "normal" way?

7. Kashmir

Kashmir Giant Laser Beams

If it is grown from the DNA of a living animal, and has the muscle tissue and blood flow of an animal, then it is meat. I've never heard of growing a steak in the lab. As far as I know, you can only grow the animal that the steak comes from.
    This is thought provoking, and I will have to do more research on what scientist can and can't do. The human body needs the iron and other proteins from meat to survive properly or we wouldn't be omnivores. But lab grown meat....interesting.

8. Cupa

9. Kashmir

Kashmir Giant Laser Beams

Thanks for the link. I admit something needs to be done. The Earth's population is almost unsustainable. But, they really need to work on the benefits to the human body that only meat can provide (without the need for supplements).