Knights Hospitaller's Cathedral - Galactic Version

Discussion in 'Other Fan Creations' started by Pedro Falcão, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Pedro Falcão

Pedro Falcão Pangalactic Porcupine

So... 2 days ago I set out to build something new and massive, and started doing whatever I felt like doing, until it turned out to be a Cathedral... Of sorts.

I have zero experience with architecture/engineering and never been to either cathedrals, mosques or sinagogues, only to small and simple churches, so it may not look exactly like one, but I tried my best to make it look holy, grand and strong. It is a work in Progress, since I am yet to decorate it and to finish the catacombs under it and the bell tower, but the majority of the structure is complete.

[​IMG]

Aproximated quantity of materials used:
    - 30.000 Small Stone Bricks
    - 15.000 Heavy Stone Bricks
    - 7.000 Glass Blocks
    - 1.000 Copper Platforms
    - 1.000 Wood Planks
    - 500 Wooden Bridge Blocks
    - 100 Soft Bricks

With the exception of the Heavy and Small Stone Bricks and Copper Platforms, all of the rest were gathered manually.
    A combination of Wooden Platforms and simple Dirt were used as Scaffolds, and torches were heavily abused.
    Besides the one to multiply the bricks, no mods were used.
    The only other tools used were the 4x4 matter manipulator, Paint Tool and Grappling Hook.
    For every block of the front layer, there is another block of the same under it as a background.
    The foundations are at least 8 blocks deep (I was seriously annoyed by seeing the dirt under avian villages if I pointed a lantern to the ground, so I calculated 7 blocks were needed to block the brightest light source and put another one just to make sure).
    The catacombs are being built under the foundations (and they also have foundations), so expect the bricks count to double.

EDIT: Forgot to add due credits:
    My thanks for these two inspirations:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

And this awesome pixelization that I also found on google:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  2. Imaotaku

Imaotaku Aquatic Astronaut

This is amazing, I can't believe you made it in 2 days with/o experience!

3. Pedro Falcão

I couldn't believe either. It's very rewarding when you see it done, though, and much more when other people like it.
    As for the Cathedral... Well, I won't be able to finish it since I lost the world file, but I'm working on an even bigger creation now that will keep me distracted from the pain of losing my dear cathedral... at least for a while...

4. Standing_Tough

Standing_Tough Big Damn Hero

woah... that is incredible, would you consider working with me on a starbound animated series? I could use someone with skills like yours.

5. DJ_Skullcrshr___

DJ_Skullcrshr___ Void-Bound Voyager

I like it, (random guy who uses an image he made in google paint)

6. Apex-prey

Apex-prey Astral Cartographer

you wouldnt happen to be a fan of the table top rpg rifts would because the name you gave the cathedral is strait frome the pages of the wormwood book any way its totes awesome good job

7. Pedro Falcão

Haha! Thank you.
    Well, I can't say I've ever played a tabletop RPG (to my shame!), but it may have been influenced by it, yes, albeit indirectly. I went on with the medieval theme of the Glitch race, then since it was a holy place and my character is Lawful Good, I chose a medieval faction that protected the pilgrims in their way to Jerusalem and treated the sick and injured, during the crusades.

Ah, and sirvarley: sorry for being so late to reply, I had to take some time off Starbound to focus on my University course, hope you understand. Anyway, I don't see what skills you see in me besides patience for building such large structures, but I will gladly help you with anything I can.

8. Standing_Tough

Standing_Tough Big Damn Hero

Wow its been so long that I've nearly finished the first episode of my animated series...
    but yeah I'm making an animated series, and I'm not a good builder. I'm nearly done with the first episode, soooo I won't be needing your help this time. but for the second episode, I'll probably need your help. Email me at Knightoftowerhill@gmail.com and I'll reply when I need you.

btw here's a trailer of what I'm working on

9. BPStuart

BPStuart Phantasmal Quasar

Most impressive!