1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Kineptic Race Mod 12-22-2015

Magician Space Cats

1. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

Yeah, about magic... I don't like to call it that. In the old lore, they didn't use actual magic any more than a real world magician does: they don't. They have technology fitting nicely in the "sufficiently advanced" trope. Familiar spirits? Nope. Cauldrons with weird ingredients? Nuh-uh. Enchanted stuff? None of that.

I like the idea with the EPP being something floating to give off light, but since the EPP gives an augment that gives off light, it seems unnecessary. It wouldn't be floating crystals, though; it'd probably be a hologram of some sort.

As for the spears with special abilities, you've given me an idea that I'll have to toy around with.

The manipulator set is in fact a robe set.

2. ThirtyUp

ThirtyUp Void-Bound Voyager

Forgive me for being the minority, but I must say; the bulky armors work. No, they aren't a "wizard" race, but let's look at wizards anyway. The "Battle Mages" that populate many fantasy worlds do indeed wear armor as well as any warrior. With the added bonus of being a bit more free to be "pretty" while being intimidating. The armor in that gif also shows some psudo-Egyptian influences, which put me in mind of the Goaul'd in StarGate. No, I must say, heavy armors totally fit them. It would be nice to mix and match the flowing vanity clothing with some armor pieces, especially since the backstory I had given my Kineptic was a young emissary guard in training.

Quilavabom likes this.
  3. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

A fitting career for a kineptic!
    You might be in the minority, but the majority isn't necessarily right. Kineptic have a wide variety of armor and clothing; I've developed them over the past half year or so, including their ancient history, geography, and topography of their planet. They've got heavy clothing, light clothing, formal clothing, informal clothing, etc. Likewise, they've got heavy and light armors: the Separator and Accelerator sets, respectively. The Manipulator set is special and doesn't fit the category of armor, but it holds a special place in the lore.

RedYoshikira likes this.
  4. valavaern

valavaern Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well, YES, but if the semantics of it are that important, very well: I feel like a sufficiently advanced scientist who plays around with floating/glowing crystals when I protect myself with force-field generators cleverly hidden inside jewelry. :3

I meant for the floating light crystals to be the "Lantern on a Stick" replacements~ Holograms for the EPPs sound cool, though~

^_^
    You could also get some good thematic mileage doing wieldable shields/force fields in the style of the higher level Avali shields, that are 'invisible' when not in use, but create a half-dome of force when used~

Again, you could still go the Avali route, and have the armors be cosmetic, but it's your call. ^_^

5. Switchlock

Switchlock Void-Bound Voyager

And now I'm wishing I took a coarse in graphical design so I could help... But I hate spiriting just as much, so... Heh... Sorry I can't offer much in help, anyway. But I support what you're doing here, I friggin love these guys.

RedYoshikira and Quilavabom like this.
  6. RubiKitty88

RubiKitty88 Aquatic Astronaut

Soooo...I wonder if this mod's ever gonna get updated for 1.0...

7. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

Depends on if I can ever get the armor sets to a point that I'm happy with. I've at least got something for all ten tiers, but... something just ain't right about the first four and 5-manipulator. Coloring needs a ton of work. That sort of thing.

8. ThirtyUp

I just got back from trying to get StarBound to not CTD (I think there was a mod conflict) and had to start reinstalling mods. What a pain. I'm late to the party, but I just found out about Frackin' Universe stuff. One of theme is a racial perks mod. Will our space cats be getting any new abilities besides the ones dhown on Frackin Races (like Thaumaturgy (+5 to staves) or Bio-Hacking (+10 to damage when food meter is full))?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  9. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

I'm flattered that you regard me as being that competent. :p

I'm also surprised you regard me as such since I still haven't released it and it still has fewer features than it did in 1.0!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  10. ThirtyUp

Oh, from what I've seen they're just passive bonuses. A little more health, a little status/hazard resistance/immunity here or there. Slow fall, run speed, that malarkey. Of course you're competent enough. They actually gave Kineptic some racial buffs in the mod, though I found them to be...lackluster compared to the race's biology and the lore you've revealed.

11. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

Right, but I haven't figured out how to give those things. Plus, it would unbalance them from the vanilla races.

Thing is, the buffs you suggested aren't tied to their biology: they're tied to the gloves. Biologically, the only thing they've got going for them is resistance to illness and a high tolerance for toxic substances. In game, this would probably manifest itself as immunity to the food poisoning debuff.

12. ThirtyUp

Perdun meh fer bein' unclur. I was referring mostly to the way the tech affects their biology, such as most super-tech societies would possibly become somewhat dependent on their tech. The synergy of biology and tech was what I was trying to get across with the abilities, and how they eat more to power it, not so much any innate super powers. Perhaps they wouldn't need biological perks; perhaps such close proximity and dependence on advanced technology causes them to have an innate closeness to their glovetech and increase damage where using it specifically. But I'm not trying to persuade you to add anything like a racial ability. Your plate is full enough I'd wager. It was just food for thought.

Quilavabom likes this.
  13. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

I hadn't considered that. It's a valid point and I'll keep it in mind.

14. RubiKitty88

I'd say just burn right through, update as you go. I can't make a kineptic with the mod being updated, which is makin' me saaaaaad D8 I can only watch a crying Avali so many times :rofl:

But in all seriousness, i'm in no rush and i'm not pressuring. I just keep checking to see if there's been an update or not :rofl:

15. shirotora

shirotora Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Are you still having trouble updating this for the current build? If so, have you considered asking one of the other race modders for help?

16. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

I wouldn't call it having trouble. I have a version that works and... you know what? Ahem...
    This copy is not authorized for use on a server. If anyone does use this for a server, I will be very sad and take down this link.

It ain't much, but it's what's there. Color schemes on the armors are janky, and the first four look meh. No glovetech. No special crafting tables; all the stuff's in the vanilla crafting tables. No dungeons exist so the method of learning to craft furniture and blocks is a "guide" that you should be able to find in the shiplocker.

To be honest, I'm afraid to ask for help because there's that chance that some really nice person is going to make something and work really really hard on it ("it" being the armor sprites specifically), but it won't be what I have in mind and I reject it and look like a total jerk and then the guilt will destroy me from the inside. But if someone out there is gutsy and confident in their spriting abilities and can determine what I want from the stuff I've thrown together, go for it.

17. valavaern

valavaern Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thank you very, very much for sharing this with us!

18. shirotora

shirotora Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh, wow. Thank you very much for sharing. You know, perhaps you could just get help with some of the smaller things that you don't need to perfectly match your vision. That would free you up to work on what you consider more important. If nothing else, they can help clean up what you have, making it look better, or help with the inner working of the mod.

19. RubiKitty88

Sooo...would I be able to just...use it while i play with my master, so i can play my fursona around him?

20. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

Er...

Well, I can't just be throwin' around exceptions, you know. So I'mma say no.